4th Annual Venice Beach Fossil Hunting & Birthday BASH! (6/24/06)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cardzard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
WEATHER PERMITTING!!​

Nope, its not a typo, it really is the 4th annual Venice Beach gathering.. and once again we're getting birthday parties mixed in as well! Kris, Jean and Walter all have birthday's near the weekend of the 24th and what better way to celebrate than a dive bash. Colin usally put this event together but do to his limited internet access I have been asked to get this train rolling. For those who have never attended a Conch event
"DON"T BE SHY"​
THIS EVENT IS FOR EVERYONE​
Bring the family or friends and join us at this great dive and fossiling event!​

When: June 24 - 9 A.M. until...??
Where: Venice Beach, FL
What to Bring: Dive Gear, refreshments, something for a potluck lunch

Type of diving Shark tooth and fossil hunting in the Gulf of Mexico. This area is a prehistoric river bed and does yield more fossils than just sharks teeth.

Type of diving: Shore dive

Directions:http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.ad...hambra+Rd+&city=Venice&state=FL&zipcode=34285
I-75 exit 200 to Osprey.
Continue Southeast on TAMIAMI TRL N/FL-45 S/US-41 S toward BAYVIEW DR. Continue to follow TAMIAMI TRL N/FL-45 S. 7.4 miles Map
Turn RIGHT onto MIAMI AVE W. <0.1 miles
Turn LEFT onto NOKOMIS AVE S. <0.1 miles
Turn RIGHT onto PONCE DE LEON AVE. 0.3 miles
Turn LEFT onto HARBOR DR S. 0.1 miles
Turn RIGHT onto ALHAMBRA RD. 0.4 miles
Follow ALHAMBRA RD to the end

What to expect at the dive site: Typical sharks teeth found are from the folloing: Dusky and Blacktip family, Sand Shark (current and prehistoric), Bull Shark, and Lemon Shark. More rare but also found are Maco, Great White, Snaggle Tooth and Megalodon. Other fossils that can be found include dolphin, manatee, and whale bones, stingray stingers and crusher platelettes and tail vertabrae, porcupine fish platelettes, mammoth and mastadon teeth/tusk/vertabrae, sloth claws, alligator scales, and sabertooth teeth. Best times for hunting are a few days after a storm when the water has settled down. Depths are 16-18 feet, unless you swim a long way out then you may hit 20.

Where to park: parking is on the street: do not park blocking driveways.

Amenities Florida West dive shop is about 1 mile north of the site on 41 literally just over the bridge back onto the main land. Sharkey's resturant is at the base of the pier. Venice Beach's downtown district is 1/2 mile off with food and shops as well. Public bathrooms are just down the beach.

Roxanne and I will bring 18 hambuger patties and 24 pack of hot dogs along with buns and she will also make baked beans for the potluck lunch.

Already on my summer dive schedule. See ya all there!

Weather permitting.......Heeellloooo.....SW Florida during rainy season. The only thing I won't be expecting is snow. I will be there with bubbles on!!

Wife is planning a vacation around that time, but if possible, I will be there. I will bring my daughter, Kate, as well. Wife and son may opt out, but I will try.

The Bulla Clan will definitely be there! Woo-hoo!!

I was wondering if anyone out there would be willing to trailer their boat/friend's boat/borrowed boat/etc to make trips out to the boneyard. If we could get 2 or 3 boats willing to go from shore to just offshore so that everyone, including the boat owners/drivers could have a chance to dive the 'yard, that would rock! We could each chip in a few bucks for gas or whatever... Just a thought. I had mentioned it to NovaFury last night, and he sounded interested if his boat's running okay and he has enough down time to make it.

Anyone else interested??

Kris

Alright! Excellent way to pick up the ball I seem to have dropped (well, yawl know its been a crazy year for us and I'm VERY appreciative of the help with regularly scheduled events right now!!)...

I can't wait to be up there enjoying a dive!! I keep seeing this Carribean clear water off the beach and I can't tell you how bad I want to be in it... BTW, the TARPON are RUNNING the BEACH in the mornings... any guess as to what follows? :D

I'll make a pasta salad and bring a case of bottled water to share.

:eek:)

Kris

CBulla:
BTW, the TARPON are RUNNING the BEACH in the mornings... any guess as to what follows? :D

"Sh-sh-shark... in the pond!"
"Oh, now what?"
"Michael's in the pond"

Hello everyone,
I am new to the list and relatively new to the area. I have never been to Venice Beach but have heard good things about it as a good beginner/intermediate dive spot. Since this is my first SB outing, anyting I should bring for the party? I make my own beer if anyone is interested?? Also, this is my first dive in Florida, anything special I need here? Just my standard gear and dive flag? Looking forward to meeting some area divers!

-Kris(tofer)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom