3 mm in August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're thinking the weekend after the festival, any idea of actual temps to really get a good idea of what to wear, hence my choice of 3/5 mm etc.

Hi Simon,

The water temps around here don't really start to change much before late Oct or early Nov. The 3/5 should do nicely. On the other hand,the air temps are starting to get a lot better. Oct is by far my favorite month here in NC. Drop me a PM when you get in the area, maybe we can do dinner or dive together.

Interesting discussion, as I just signed up to visit NC (morehead area) in October.
I always dive dry,(I find S-I's are more comfortable) would I be making a mistake diving dry there?
I do own a 7mil but have yet to get it wet.

herman:
The water temps around here don't really start to change much before late Oct or early Nov. The 3/5 should do nicely. On the other hand,the air temps are starting to get a lot better. Oct is by far my favorite month here in NC. Drop me a PM when you get in the area, maybe we can do dinner or dive together.

Huh? "The air temps are starting to get a lot better." Not sure what you mean there, but I think that's why I got chilled in October diving the same suit I wore there at the end of May. Air was cooler. Or maybe I just wasn't up to par? I dived a 3 mil + 1 mil last year. I'm taking the 5 mil + 1 mil this year.

diveh3:
Interesting discussion, as I just signed up to visit NC (morehead area) in October.
I always dive dry,(I find S-I's are more comfortable) would I be making a mistake diving dry there?
I do own a 7mil but have yet to get it wet.

You could dive dry there. Just won't need much in the way of undergarments. I use my 7 mil + 1 mil in Calf waters to 50oF.

diveh3, I'll be down there Labor Day weekend. Still deciding on exposure for myself.

I have a 2mm shorty which I think will be too cold and a 7mm, which I'm thinking may be 2 heavy. I'd rather not dive dry in water that warm, but it may be my only option.

I'm trying not to run out and buy an exposure suit just for warm water. As you well know most of our diving in the North Atlantic & quarries remain cool if not down rite cold.
Guess I'll figure diving dry with a skin as insulation? have you ever done that? wonder if i'd get pinched?
I'll hold off anticipating your trip report.

PS: I had a chuckle on your weekend dive report "finless"- last week sylvester and I met at BSC, I forgot my C-card to get in and Sylvester changed out his wing and forgot his backplate....Duh!

IMO, if you are going to be going to warm places to dive at least once a year it might be worth it to bite the bullet and buy a 3MM. I have one, and although I don't use it often I'm very glad I bought it.

diveh3:
I'm trying not to run out and buy an exposure suit just for warm water. As you well know most of our diving in the North Atlantic & quarries remain cool if not down rite cold.
Guess I'll figure diving dry with a skin as insulation? have you ever done that? wonder if i'd get pinched?
I'll hold off anticipating your trip report.

PS: I had a chuckle on your weekend dive report "finless"- last week sylvester and I met at BSC, I forgot my C-card to get in and Sylvester changed out his wing and forgot his backplate....Duh!

Yeah I do see that in my future. Maybe I'll bring all of my suits and try them all out to decide. I did 15 dives in a Aruba with nothing but a 2mm shorty, and from what everyone is saying it doesn't seem NC water will be too much cooler.

HA "finless" - Yup nice waste of a trip to Point Pleasant!

Back
Top Bottom