2nd Annual RMO South Meet, Greet, Dive, and Eat! (Sept 20~21st)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Please sign up on the RMO calendar if you are planning on attending, and include any guests!

Hi All,

We are going to start a new tradition this year, and have TWO RMO annual events. I tried to get folks to travel down to the Hole from Denver for our annual event two years ago, but that was a bust for Denver even if it was good for folks south.

It is time to get everyone together for a good Ol' BBQ/Picnic/Dive at the Blue Hole!

Come and Dive, or just meet and greet other Oysters!

Where: Blue Hole
When: September 20~21st, 9:00am~ ?? both days!
Why: Cause it's fun!

I will put this on the calendar, and we will have plenty of time to work out the details.

Non-Divers are welcome at this event as are children of all ages!

I'll post more as I know more, but feel free to respond if you are planning on attending, and we can start to work out the details!

Kevin (ABQDiver) is going to help Coordinate this, and we will want to figure out things like who is bringing what, and if we want to have the main lunch on Sat, or Sunday. We can do both, but likely one day will have better participation.

I'm giving EVERYONE PLENTY of time to plan on doing this, so I hope we have great participation!

Denver/CO Participation
I will be driving down from Denver, and Dan is planning on joining me. I think Rick expressed interested, and Kent may also be thinking on this. So we will have some participation from the north! Everyone is welcome, and if you have never gone to the Hole to just dive, it's rather enjoyable!

Chow for Now!

Last edited:
This should be fun! It will be GREAT to get as many divers from the "Southern" area as we can get out to have some fun.

Might be an idea to carpool, so lets put this on the calender!

We will be there as long as there isn't a conflict with OW teaching schedule for hubby (the 3rd weekend is classroom/pool every month)... hopefully another instructor will be teaching that weekend. I'll let you know when things get closer!

Can you rent tanks down there? or have ones I rented here filled down there?

also I handle the cold pretty well, is a 5mm enough or should I do my dry?

Stella can fill tanks (air only, no nitrox). She is generally there all day Saturday, and Sunday.

You can rent from Stella as well, and the tank rental is the same cost as a fill ($5). If you want to do a night dive on Friday, than you may want to bring a tank. If just diving Sat/Sun, then getting tanks from Stella works, but she is generally not there before 8am.

The water last I dove was 64F, and that is constant year around. It may vary by a degree or so, but I've been doing the Hole for years, and I've never seen the water below 61F, or above 64F, so it's steady.

In Sept the air temp should be warm, likely in the 70's or better. A 5mm maybe enough, but that depends. I dive it dry as do most of the regulars I know. That is as much for surface temps in the winter, and in the summer diving wet works even if most instructors dive dry if not all of them.

You can get fills local..

Dive it Dry..There are no thermoclines, its in the lower 60's top to bottom..

It looks like I will be able to make this. I've put my Tech Diving (Intro to Tech Diving, Advanced NITROX, and Decompression Theory) classes on temporary hold due to cost. I was scheduled to be diving Rock Lake during this Meet & Greet. Anyone from Colorado want to Carpool/room share? I can take one additional in my GTI, or 4 more if I take the CrewCab Truck.

I'm going to start a new thread about my Tech Diving experiences to date - some of you might find it interesting.

Rick,

I am now 95% sure that I can make it.

Was going to carpool and room share with WinterHawk.

Still open to making this trip as cost efficient as possible.

I am going to dive DRY this time... so 1st real dive in a drysuit. Need to take these very easy and get some help from you drysuit folks.

Fired up!

Hey Bubba,

So have you done the drysuit class? It really does not matter that much, we can get you diving dry.

What type of suit do you have? Have you dove it at all? It's not a stupid idea to bring a wetsuit as well. I helped TJack with his first dry dive, and he opted to dive wet for the first dive which was a night dive. I've helped others that opted to dive their first dry dive at night, and things did not go so well. Task loading when using a dry suit for the first time is not something that most do easily.

In any event, we will try to make your dry experience good, and you have a number of folks that have been diving dry for a while that can help with advice, and techniques to make it a quicker learning curve.

Hey Bubba,

So have you done the drysuit class? It really does not matter that much, we can get you diving dry.
I have not, don't plan on it. I have watched the video and read the PADI materials.
What type of suit do you have? Have you dove it at all? It's not a stupid idea to bring a wetsuit as well. I helped TJack with his first dry dive, and he opted to dive wet for the first dive which was a night dive. I've helped others that opted to dive their first dry dive at night, and things did not go so well. Task loading when using a dry suit for the first time is not something that most do easily.
It's that older DUI TLS350 I was telling you about in June.
I was planning on not doing a night dive for the first one either:)
I may bring it to Chatfield/Aurora this weekend to practice some techniques and play with weighting.
In any event, we will try to make your dry experience good, and you have a number of folks that have been diving dry for a while that can help with advice, and techniques to make it a quicker learning curve.
That's what I was hoping for!.
Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom