2013 Fallfest Megadive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So sad to have missed this event.
I had to practice holding my breath and
pretending to hang onto the grate tonight.
Being on call sure gets in the way of life.
There was definitely a hole in the MegaDive that only you and Shelly could have filled. Dawn and I certainly hope that you will be able to make the next one.

-

Megadive is always a blast! This Fall it rained for 4 solid hours Friday night, but it warmed up for a rather mild temp for the galaxy dive, and perfect fire weather at night.

It was good to get a dive in with two SB'ers who I've never had the chance to dive with before, Jax and Denisegg. They both put up with high flow, an exiting class and an entering gaggle of scooter divers, but I think they had an ok time.

denise eye-0021.jpgjax eye-0013.jpg

It was wonderful hanging and diving with all our old friends and meeting some new ones. It's always great to get out from behind our computers and put a face to the SB names sharing good times, diving adventures and fun! You all ROCK!

We did have some rain Friday during the night, but took it in stride. The rest of the weekend was wonderful! Delightful during the day and perfect weather for the bonfire at night.

I want to thank everyone for pitching in bring items to share for the meals. We ate well! :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

I also want to thank everyone who helped build fires, set up, prepare, cook and cleanup over the weekend. It made it nice that so many pitched in! No one felt over burdened with chores. It made for a good time for all! :acclaim: :acclaim: :acclaim:

And for those of you wondering when we'll get together again. Please subscribe to this thread. I'll post a link at the end to the new thread once I have the details set for the Spring Megadive.

wife & I had a great time. I talked more with Pete saturday evening than we have in our total history combined, LOL

A very different feel than the Vortex gatherings. Which isn't to say better or worse, just different. Ginnie itself is very different than Vortex & between the 2 I really like the park & diving at Ginnie.

My first time back there in 29 years, it won't be the last. Good to see old friends & meet new ones.

BTW, the galaxy dive was just friggin' COOL. I think we had about 35 divers on this one & there was plenty of room for more. Anyone thinking about coming who hasn't done this, you really should rethink that & fit it in your schedule. Cameras can't catch it, they've tried. Words are inadequate, you just have to do the dive & enjoy it :wink:

---------- Post added November 3rd, 2013 at 08:23 PM ----------

814 mile round trip for us. Jax had the longest drive & was likely the longest travelled, period, as she drove over from SW Arizona.

We drove over friday & got camp set.

Saturday was for diving. We did a drift dive, put in at Devil's Eye, got out in the river & drifted down to Ginnie. Viz was dark & crappy due to the tannins leeching into the river, current was strong. Might have been lots of stuff to look at but we were too busy managing the shallow water flying over the rocks, LOL

Turned into Ginnie, spent some time in the ballroom. Max depth about 50 FFW. The ballroom is safe for open water divers as the cave entrance has been closed off with a steel grate. It was in place when I dove there in 1984, so it's been like this for a very long time.

Saturday evening was a group dinner, followed by the galaxy dive. This is a night dive done in the ballroom where we all go in, pick a place to sit & watch & turn off all out lights. The a couple of divers go down to the grate where the flow is strongest -35 million gallons per day, I think is claimed- and take chem light sticks & cut them open, sending the luminescence free. It does look for all the world like a fast action viewing of a galaxy expanding and is one of the coolest damned things I've ever seen. By taking their time & doing this repeatedly over 30 minutes or so, the stuff fills the cavern & goes everywhere, you're surrounded by points of light. Sometimes you can see a diver in full sillouette :wink:

Then dump the gear, a quick hot shower rinse & change & it was off to the bonfire where camaraderie, drinking & shenanigans ensued :wink:

I accidentally left two camping chairs, one beige and one orange, around the fire with a small digital camera enclosed in a camera case with red trimming. If anyone has any idea about these items, please call/message me on here or at (417)-629-8817. Thank you.
Have you tried Ebay? :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

(seriously, though, I think Roxanne has your camera)

I also should note that Ginnie is by far the more expensive of the 2.

2 nights camping for 2 people & 1 day for 2 divers came to $137

and that's after a 10% discount for scubaboard.

Have you tried Ebay? :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

(seriously, though, I think Roxanne has your camera)

I already contacted her, so all is well with the camera. She did say there were 2 chairs. We only picked up one, so if anyone picked up the other chair, bring it with you next time so she can claim it. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom