2012 SEC Football

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, a huge topic of conversation amungst Gator fans was that we did NOT want to go the way of Tennessee after the demise of ... uh .... um .. you know ... ol' what's his name, with the beer belly ... Fulmer, yeah, that's it.. after they fired Fulmer they got Kifin

I don't know what crack they were smoking when they hired Kiffin.

Fulmer? Yeah he had a few slow last few years. But UT fans expected another National Championship. They couldn't grasp with the fact that UT hadn't found an exact clone for Peyton Manning and weren't competing for the top.

so they canned Fulmer. Like him or not.... he had about a 75% win ratio. What coach can say that? (VERY few).

of course Alabama couldn't be happy with their choices until Saban arrived.

Bama's other coaches were simply "place holders" to get them past NCAA sanctions of no bowl play and reductions in scholarships. No "big name coach" would come in there when he couldn't compete and couldn't recruit due to the sanctions.

If the "placeholders" won, then great. Keep them. IF they didn't, can them.

The money to buy out Shula's $4 million dollar buy-out-clause was already put in place by wealthy booster/supporters. It didn't cost the University a Dime.

This was all part of an orchestrated plan. It had nothing to do with "happiness" .

Just like you won't get a big name coach to go to Penn State with how it's been drug through the mud.

Fulmer? Yeah he had a few slow last few years. But UT fans expected another National Championship. They couldn't grasp with the fact that UT hadn't found an exact clone for Peyton Manning and weren't competing for the top.

so they canned Fulmer. Like him or not.... he had about a 75% win ratio. What coach can say that? (VERY few).

At least they finally wised up, and canned the source of that crack...our AD, Hamilton. I could have thrown darts at a list of candidates...while blind folded...and, ended up with a better choice than Kiffin. Like you said, we went from a coach with a 75% win ratio...to a punk...what a year that was...a proud moment in UT athletics history...</sarcasm>. :shakehead:

At least they finally wised up, and canned the source of that crack...our AD, Hamilton. I could have thrown darts at a list of candidates...while blind folded...and, ended up with a better choice than Kiffin. Like you said, we went from a coach with a 75% win ratio...to a punk...what a year that was...a proud moment in UT athletics history...</sarcasm>. :shakehead:

I still think they should have named the Sewage Treatment Plant after Kiffen.

for those who dont' know, this was actually proposed to the Knoxville City Council

Knoxville man files paperwork for "Lane Kiffin Sewage Center" | wbir.com

Knoxville man files paperwork for "Lane Kiffin Sewage Center"

7:50 PM, Jan 19, 2010

As the Derek Dooley era begins at the University of Tennessee, one Volunteer fan is offering up a lasting parting shot to Coach Lane Kiffin.

Knoxville attorney Drew McElroy has filed paperwork with the Knoxville City Council's Public Properties and Facilities Naming Committee to rename a waste water treatment plant the "Lane Kiffin Sewage Center."

"At first I was offended that he would sneak out in the middle of the night, like a one night stand," McElroy said.
But now, he's over it.

The University of Tennessee has a lot of tradition on campus naming buildings and streets after former greats. Neyland Stadium, Peyton Manning Pass, and Phillip Fulmer Way are examples.

McElroy said after driving down Neyland Drive and seeing all the history, it hit him. Renaming the Kuwahee Wastewater Treatment Plant would be the best way to let Kiffin know he understands why the coach left.

"It dawned on me--Lane Kiffin told us that he hoped the fans would understand. I thought 'Well, naming the wastewater plant for him would let him know, I think very clearly, we do understand,'" McElroy, an off-and-on season ticket holder said. "We want to memorialize his stay here, and I think this would be doing it appropriately."

McElroy says he wrote the $262 check for the application fee and mailed it to the City Council's Clerk last week.

"We don't have to rename the entire facility after him, just a part of it," he said.
McElroy conceded just a cesspool at the facility would be enough to satisfy him.

On the application, he says he wanted "to honor our recently departed head coach and raise awareness of the good work done by the Knoxville Utilities Board."

"I think it'd be very fitting. He's definitely garbage," UT Student Paul Mills said.

While McElroy admits it's funny to think about Kiffin's name associated with a place with a specialty in human waste, the attorney is serious about the plan and says he will follow through, showing up at whatever meetings he needs to attend.

Calls to the University of Southern California's Athletic Department requesting comment from the former Volunteer coach were not returned Tuesday.
"What he says about it? I could care less," McElroy said. "Knowing what we know now, I don't think anybody is angry he's gone."

Both the University of Tennessee and the Knoxville Utilities Board had no official comment on the proposed name change.

The Public Property naming committee only meets a few times each year. Members say they're not certain when they'll take up the renaming issue.
McElroy says he cannot wait, hopefully by next fall, to make the trip to Neyland Stadium and see Lane Kiffin's 7-6 season permanently remembered.
"I'll have a big grin on my face every time I drive down Neyland Drive," he said.

Yeah, there were a few urinal cake jokes being tossed around back then...along with a few even less savory barbs...like..."Excuse me, where's your toilet? I gotta take a Kiffin." :D

I still think they should have named the Sewage Treatment Plant after Kiffen.

for those who dont' know, this was actually proposed to the Knoxville City Council

Knoxville man files paperwork for "Lane Kiffin Sewage Center" | wbir.com

Knoxville man files paperwork for "Lane Kiffin Sewage Center"

7:50 PM, Jan 19, 2010

As the Derek Dooley era begins at the University of Tennessee, one Volunteer fan is offering up a lasting parting shot to Coach Lane Kiffin.

Knoxville attorney Drew McElroy has filed paperwork with the Knoxville City Council's Public Properties and Facilities Naming Committee to rename a waste water treatment plant the "Lane Kiffin Sewage Center."

"At first I was offended that he would sneak out in the middle of the night, like a one night stand," McElroy said.
But now, he's over it.

The University of Tennessee has a lot of tradition on campus naming buildings and streets after former greats. Neyland Stadium, Peyton Manning Pass, and Phillip Fulmer Way are examples.

McElroy said after driving down Neyland Drive and seeing all the history, it hit him. Renaming the Kuwahee Wastewater Treatment Plant would be the best way to let Kiffin know he understands why the coach left.

"It dawned on me--Lane Kiffin told us that he hoped the fans would understand. I thought 'Well, naming the wastewater plant for him would let him know, I think very clearly, we do understand,'" McElroy, an off-and-on season ticket holder said. "We want to memorialize his stay here, and I think this would be doing it appropriately."

McElroy says he wrote the $262 check for the application fee and mailed it to the City Council's Clerk last week.

"We don't have to rename the entire facility after him, just a part of it," he said.
McElroy conceded just a cesspool at the facility would be enough to satisfy him.

On the application, he says he wanted "to honor our recently departed head coach and raise awareness of the good work done by the Knoxville Utilities Board."

"I think it'd be very fitting. He's definitely garbage," UT Student Paul Mills said.

While McElroy admits it's funny to think about Kiffin's name associated with a place with a specialty in human waste, the attorney is serious about the plan and says he will follow through, showing up at whatever meetings he needs to attend.

Calls to the University of Southern California's Athletic Department requesting comment from the former Volunteer coach were not returned Tuesday.
"What he says about it? I could care less," McElroy said. "Knowing what we know now, I don't think anybody is angry he's gone."

Both the University of Tennessee and the Knoxville Utilities Board had no official comment on the proposed name change.

The Public Property naming committee only meets a few times each year. Members say they're not certain when they'll take up the renaming issue.
McElroy says he cannot wait, hopefully by next fall, to make the trip to Neyland Stadium and see Lane Kiffin's 7-6 season permanently remembered.
"I'll have a big grin on my face every time I drive down Neyland Drive," he said.

Gator defense improved greatly during the 2011 season. Looks like there's still a strong focus ...

The Gators finished 2011 sixth in the Southeastern Conference with 28 sacks. To make the jump to an elite pass-rushing team in the league will take more than increase in blitz calls. It will take improved pressure from the four-man rush as well.

---------- Post Merged on August 25th, 2012 at 08:07 AM ---------- Previous Post was on August 24th, 2012 at 01:23 PM ----------

CBS Sport Network "Inside College Football" had some predictions on the National Championship (can you believe they're talking about that already?)

1. USC vs LSU
2. USC vs Alabama
3. USC vs FSU
4. FSU vs LSU

Interesting picks.

Wisconsin and West Virginia were runner-up choices.

Some think the reign of the SEC may be coming to an end. :shakehead: What are these boys thinking?

It's not SEC football, but my son's high school (Maryville, TN) won their first game of the season against a big rival this past weekend...covered by ESPN on national TV. Maryville's coach currently enjoys a 93% win ratio (180 - 13)...and a 31-game winning streak right now.

It's not SEC football, but my son's high school (Maryville, TN) won their first game of the season against a big rival this past weekend...covered by ESPN on national TV. Maryville's coach currently enjoys a 93% win ratio (180 - 13)...and a 31-game winning streak right now.

Been through Maryville many times. (as recent as last month) Always thought that was a nice town.

If Tennessee only had some beach front adjacent to the mountains, I'd live there. :D

Been through Maryville many times. (as recent as last month) Always thought that was a nice town.

It is, but it's growing beyond my tastes right now. Academically, Maryville City Schools are ranked among the top schools in the state...just so happens, their football program ain't too shabby either. We moved out of the city limits for a lake font place, but continue to send our son there on tuition (allowed, if you started there).

---------- Post Merged at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:37 PM ----------

If Tennessee only had some beach front adjacent to the mountains, I'd live there. :D

Ooooh...wouldn't even have to have a beach...just a few good reefs to dive. Quarries good enough? :D

Back
Top Bottom