2010 Fitness Exercise Challenge!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Burpees = crazy time. I have seen them done by others & that is some kind of hardcore. Congrats on doing 30 of them WB!

Saturday 1/16/10 - Weather permitted so my best friend and I were able to get out on a bike ride for about 1 hour and 40 minutes of ride time. Total distance 18.4 miles including some pretty challenging hills - so I feel whooped. HRM indicates just over 1000 calories - although not sure about that. Regardless, it was fun times.

I've avoided burpees for the better part of a year now, using my shoulder as an excuse. Guess it's time for me to step up to the plate... lol

Glad you're able to get out for some real rides.... I have a hard time making myself ride the bike attached to the trainer... just not the same being inside.

Not much heart pumping exercise this weekend. Though I was in the 50° river yesterday digging for fossils. That has to count for something. And today, what's left of it, I am starting the next section of spackling/texturing the walls in the bedroom.

Well, for the past two days I have got up at 5.30am (before it is light) and headed off to the local Forest Park.
On both days I did a 5 mile brisk walk.

It is beautiful at this time of the morining; the day begins in a kind of dusky grey and then the sun starts to paint colour onto the sky. All the trees and flowers join in with a complete riot of greens, reds, purples and pinks. Around this time all the tropical birds wake up for a good old screech.
There is a troop (?) of gibbons that lives high up in the canopy and they start yelling and whooping at about 6.15 am.
It's wonderfully noisy and very jungly.

What a fantastic way to exercise!

Tomorrow I fancy a nice long bike ride and swim.
Wahoo!!
Don't ya just love those cheeky little endorphins??

Lots and lots of walking & kicking with big tanks - staying in shap but happy to return to the gym & pool in a week ;-).

ladylarkle, that sounds like a wonderful walk! I am there with you virtually! Next time take pics.

Hmmm.... I think way back when Almitywife started the challenge (maybe a previous thread?), she took pics of where she walked.

Monday:

Today wasn't so much of a workout day as it was just an active rest day and a day to tinker with some new skills and work on stretches.

Warmup:
5 minute Row: 822 meters

GHD Situps with a nice long hanging stretch at the bottom before lifting back to the top

I've never tried Kettlebell Windmills before, so I watch the videos and read the drills. While primarily aimed at the obliques/core area, I wanted to engage my shoulders through a range of motion.

My first attempt was with a 10# Kettlebell (KB) with 5 reps per side (left/right). My shoulder had been tight and a bit achy prior to the attempt, but felt remarkably well after doing the skill!

Rowing for Moderate Intensity:
5 Minute row: 1081 meters

More KB Windmills with increasing weight:
25# KB, 3 reps/side. This was more challenging than the 10#.
35# KB, 1 rep/side. This was quite challenging and actually was a bit straining to my right shoulder.

GHD Back Extensions:
10 Reps, focused on a strong pull and pause at the top, lifting my torso well above parallel for a nice hamstring effort.

Achilles Stretches:
Continued working my tight Achilles, particularly on the left side, to get better form/positioning at the bottom of the squat.

Potato squats with a 40# dumbell:
Strict attention to upright back position and angling the shins out over the toes.

I see that the KB windmills have some great potential as a shoulder warmup prior to Olympic Snatches or other shoulder-related lifts. I just need to keep the weight light as I adjust to the new movement.

Did my run routine at the doggie park, then came home and finished up with the wii fit. I looked and the graph and noted that I have only lost 3 lbs. Wow. That was depressing. Then I noticed I could change the settings to one month instead of one week, and I am down almost 10!!!! Whoo hooo!!!!

See, Jenny, it's all about how you look at it!! :D

I have a day at my desk today, three articles - one deadline.
But if I can unchain myself later on I shall be doing a nice long beach walk at dusk.

I'll try and remember to take some pics when I can of the places I get to.

Whoo hoo, aren't we doing well between us? I reckon in a month we will have lost the equivalent weight of an airline hostess (not one that works for Continental, though! :chuckle:).
We should treat ourselves to a KFC belly buster to celebrate!! :drunks:

....just kidding.....

:wink:

But the rum sounds good. :drunks:

Weighed in at 225 this morning, down 3 lbs from last week and my average heart rate is coming down too; this morning's resting heart rate 59 - not bad for an out-of-shape old geezer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom