2010 Fitness Exercise Challenge!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awwwhh.. I have heard about eating right after a work out, but not sure what it included. Was using a protien powder shake afterwards a while ago (last spring), but it didn't seem to help. Maybe cause it was protien based?

Awwwhh.. I have heard about eating right after a work out, but not sure what it included. Was using a protien powder shake afterwards a while ago (last spring), but it didn't seem to help. Maybe cause it was protien based?

I'm not sure what you mean by "protein based". Some of that is just marketing. Just check the label and see if the carb/protein ratio is approximately 4:1.

For instance, I have a container of mix called:
Endurox Restore (for exercise lasting LESS than hour... they have another mix for longer endurance activities)
Each scoop of mix contains 28g Carbs and 7g Protein

You can also get creative. I have Whey Protein powder (20g Protein/scoop), and also CytoCarb II carb mix (14g Carb/scoop). I can mix the two of these together to get roughly the ratios I want.

I'm not necessarily endorsing any of these... just examples I have.

Awwwhh.. I have heard about eating right after a work out, but not sure what it included. Was using a protien powder shake afterwards a while ago (last spring), but it didn't seem to help.
Define help.

The most important time is the 20min-1 hr after your work out.

Thats when your muscles want to start the repair cycle and need raw material.

(Next most important thing is getting enough rest for your muscles)

Maybe cause it was protien based?

Protient is the single most important thing.

I was using the Whey protien powder they sell at Sam's club.

Jeff, that 20 min - 1 hr is the part I think I am missing. After I get done running, I walk a lap to cool down, do some stretches, gather the dogs, loading them in car, driving.. blah, blah, blah...I like to get on the wii fit as soon as I can when I get home to contiune the workout/cool down/streteching. Then I usually get involved in something else and forget to eat till it's pretty close to bed time.

And thanks both ya for your advice. Appreciate it! :)

After I get done running, I walk a lap to cool down, do some stretches, gather the dogs, loading them in car, driving.. blah, blah, blah

I usually use protien bars and munch on them at this time. It might not be the perfect solution, but its better than nothing.

I was using the Whey protien powder they sell at Sam's club.

Jeff, that 20 min - 1 hr is the part I think I am missing. After I get done running, I walk a lap to cool down, do some stretches, gather the dogs, loading them in car, driving.. blah, blah, blah...I like to get on the wii fit as soon as I can when I get home to contiune the workout/cool down/streteching. Then I usually get involved in something else and forget to eat till it's pretty close to bed time.

And thanks both ya for your advice. Appreciate it! :)

Just pre-mix and have it in your car or whatever for when you finish. Instead of drinking water, start with the mix drink.

I shall try your advice. Heck, it can't hurt, right?

Another thing... The approaches that Jeff and I are mentioning aren't necessarily contrary, but have different goals.

IIRC, Jeff is looking to add muscle bulk, so he wants plenty of "construction material" (protein) on hand when he tears down muscle (lifts weight). The approach I'm mentioning is more for replenishing energy (glycogen-like stores).

Neither approach is necessarily right or wrong, just need to pick one (or another) method that works for you. I've tried both approaches and they both seem to work for their intended goals....

I think, no, rather, I know I need the energy rebound and will look more into the 4/1 carb/protien.
No energy was my big complaint last year when I finally quit all exercise. I had no energy. And I am starting to feel the same way. Not good if I plan on continuing on any kind of exercise program.

Another thing... The approaches that Jeff and I are mentioning aren't necessarily contrary, but have different goals.

IIRC, Jeff is looking to add muscle bulk, so he wants plenty of "construction material" (protein) on hand when he tears down muscle (lifts weight). The approach I'm mentioning is more for replenishing energy (glycogen-like stores).

Neither approach is necessarily right or wrong, just need to pick one (or another) method that works for you. I've tried both approaches and they both seem to work for their intended goals....

adding 5 lbs of muscle mass without changing your calorie intake will result in ~20lb loss of weight over a yr.

Back
Top Bottom