2010 Fitness Exercise Challenge!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually drink Accelerade Powder Drink Mix after running or cycling. Generally my trick is to make it before working out and then I put it in the fridge. When I come back from the gym, I drink it while showering (I know, TMI, right?!). I tried a bunch of different kinds prior to making a commitment to one brand. This was the best tasting and best at relieving some of the tired/sore muscles that I experience. Oh, I use the lemonade brand. Wish you were closer because I would mail you some.

Edit: Actually, you are in the US. I would be happy to mail you a scoop if you want!

Thanks for the offer, but it probably will be easier for me to just run (figuratively) down the street. There are 6 places within 5 miles that sell it. The closest about a 1/2 mile away..Ok.. maybe I'll jump on the bike and go there.. or walk.... :cool2:

Gotcha...I is so much smarter nows! :D
images

sorry... I was being a little $#!t.... lol

AM:
Cycling on the Trainer (mountain mode), 30 minutes, 5.6 miles (just trying to make sure my butt doesn't forget the saddle)

PM:
Warmup:
250m Row

Workout:
Front Squats 5 x 3, 3 x 3 (mostly as a warmup) (gradually increasing weight)

Power Cleans from above the knee 4 x 3, 3 x 2, 2 x 2 weight incrementally up to 62.5kg (138lbs)

Power Cleans from Below the knee 4 x 3, 3 x 2, 2 x 2 weight incrementally up to 62.5kg (138lbs)

Back Squats 3 x 5, weight incrementally up to 80kg (176lbs)

Jeepers,
we are getting pretty serious now!! :wink:

I have pretty much spent a week at my desk with only a couple of bike rides and a long walk.
Hopefully I'll get back to normal next week, doing my 5k early mornings and some serious biking.
Saturday is hike day and I always get a buzz out of that.

I suffer from hypoglycemia (but am not diabetic) so always have some long chain carbs on hand, otherwise I feel weaker than a wet rag. I tried using simple carbs after exercise and initially felt ok but then crashed after a short period. Munching on nuts (no snickering at the back, please) suits me better.
Healthwise I am a bit weird, I am overweight but my cholesterol levels are below normal. My blood pressure is on the low side and I am as strong as a horse.

It is really inspiring to see you all doing so well. It keeps me focused, too.
Keep on keepin' on!

Rach xx

sorry... I was being a little $#!t.... lol
I figured that, that's why I responded the way I did!
Next time you're in town, we need to have an ice cold beer or two...

Healthwise I am a bit weird, I am overweight but my cholesterol levels are below normal. My blood pressure is on the low side and I am as strong as a horse.
Rach xx
Sounds like me. I am considered obese, yet my cholesterol id good (just for today as my family tends to run high) and low blood pressure. I am also strong, though once I hit my 40's and on there has been a noticeable reduction in strength. Frustrating.

Like the idea of the nuts to munch on. Would probably be a good idea for me too. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sounds like me. I am considered obese, yet my cholesterol id good (just for today as my family tends to run high) and low blood pressure. I am also strong, though once I hit my 40's and on there has been a noticeable reduction in strength. Frustrating.

Like the idea of the nuts to munch on. Would probably be a good idea for me too. Thanks for the suggestion!

As I approached my 40's I developed High Cholesterol and High Blood Pressure... family history... :(

I tried exercise and "eating healthy"... yeh... whatever that means... lol... but still had to rely on the meds to keep me under control.

Last year while getting into CrossFit and lifting, I came across a diet that CrossFit likes to recommend for it's performance benefits in athletes... well... I'm hardly an athlete... but one of the things that caught my eye was some of the benefits that people were seeing... like lowering cholesterol and BP... and within 6 weeks of starting on the Zone Diet, I was off the medication.... first person EVER in my family to do so...

your mileage may vary... but it's worth a look....
Dr Sears and Chronic Diseases

Zone Diet

Wow... I can sneeze and lose 2 lbs... not even sure my scale measures in those small of increments. lol
:D

Good luck getting back into the gym! At least you'll be slightly past peak on the "resolutioners rush"!!

A little encouragement goes a long way! Thanks Bob.

Really enjoyed the pump today!!
80% of max to slowly ease back into lifting :).
1 hour free weights.

Chest
2 exercises, 4 sets each 15-10 reps
1 exercise, 2 sets 12 reps

Shoulders
3 exercises, 4 sets each, 15-10 reps

Tri
2 exercises, 3-4 sets each, 12-10 reps

Deffinately more people pumping iron, usually I'm alone in the weight section of my climbing gym so it was nice to have the company.

Lots of diving planned for this weekend if weather co-operates ;-).

How's the preparation coming for your Essentials class? Has all the recent diving been a boon?

Did Essentials in October, now it's on to the challenge of Fundies :D! I'm pretty new to coldwater drysuit diving but have logged about 70+ drysuit dives since late August - 26 dives in January (in many conditions/hit or miss with winter storms) http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/norcal/317831-another-extended-dive-bum-vacation-monterey-cali-coast.html & many with my team/fundies classmates - so yes my/our diving had progressed quite a bit this month.

Our instructor has encouraged us to do the class in our new doubles - said not to worry about pass/fail, just embrace the learning as he is local and will continue to help us. I trust him. The worst-case will be a rec provisional and hopefully better :). Checked most the ego - as I'd rather learn than clam to Ace fundies in a single tank the first go.

Scurrying around now to learn the gear so it's not a ridiculous struggle :D! Have done about 20 doubles dives & making good progress with still a month to go. The assistant instructor will help us trim the rigs out soon which will make it all that much easier! Luggin' these puppies around on land is worth the extra redundancy/extended BT & stability!

Hard to believe just 4.5 months ago I was a 3mm vacation diver following DM's around & am now planning to take one of the hardest fundies in steel doubles/drysuit/dry gloves/low vis/ocean & cold water.

It's been an intense journey - I love a challenge! Amazing what you can learn from doing 75+ dives with DIR divers :D! I just love this path & our local community!

Time to get busy pumpin' up the fitness which makes everything that much easier :). Thanks for being here!

Last edited:
Did Essentials in October, now it's on to the challenge of Fundies :D! I'm pretty new to coldwater drysuit diving but have logged about 70+ drysuit dives since late August - 26 dives in January (in many conditions/hit or miss with winter storms) http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no...ed-dive-bum-vacation-monterey-cali-coast.html & many with my team/fundies classmates - so yes my/our diving had progressed quite a bit this month.

Our instructor has encouraged us to do the class in our new doubles - said not to worry about pass/fail, just embrace the learning as he is local and will continue to help us. I trust him. The worst-case will be a rec provisional and hopefully better :). Checked most the ego - as I'd rather learn than clam to Ace fundies in a single tank the first go.

Scurrying around now to learn the gear so it's not a ridiculous struggle :D! Have done about 20 doubles dives & making good progress with still a month to go. The assistant instructor will help us trim the rigs out soon which will make it all that much easier! Luggin' these puppies around on land is worth the extra redundancy/extended BT & stability!

Hard to believe just 4.5 months ago I was a 3mm vacation diver following DM's around & am now planning to take one of the hardest fundies in steel doubles/drysuit/dry gloves/low vis/ocean & cold water.

It's been an intense journey - I love a challenge! Amazing what you can learn from doing 75+ dives with DIR divers :D! I just love this path & our local community!

Time to get busy pumpin' up the fitness which makes everything that much easier :). Thanks for being here!

Isn't Essentials and Fundies basically(essentially/fundamentally...lol) the same thing, but just different agencies? It's been a while since I've been involved with it (DIRF in 2002 and GUE Tech1 in 2003), so I'm guessing some things have changed in the courses.

Great you're getting in shape for it. Penny and I backed away from our Tech/Cave diving because we let ourselves get out of shape for a couple of years.... so one of the factors last year in making a structured lifestyle change in our diet and exercise was to keep ourselves in better shape for the diving we do... we can no longer "wing it" in our mid-40's and still be "fully capable" on game day with all of the kit we use..... but I've admittedly embraced the exercise and cycling as much as I used to passionately embrace diving... must be the endorphs or our current (lack of) proximity to water ... lol :idk:

...and a huge factor for me is the motivation of seeing others struggle and succeed in their own "Fitness Quests"!!!

Keep up the good work everyone!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom