2010 Fitness Exercise Challenge!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't Essentials and Fundies basically(essentially/fundamentally...lol) the same thing, but just different agencies? It's been a while since I've been involved with it (DIRF in 2002 and GUE Tech1 in 2003), so I'm guessing some things have changed in the courses.

E & F are not so different so I've been told, but in Essentials you are introduced to the ideas and learn the skills in a very fun way with lots of feedback, but do not have to master them in class (pratice them afterwards). In Fundies you learn the skills and are graded.

Essentials is a very gentle way to ease on the DIR path - it's a great primer for fundies and/or it's a great course for those who want to learn the propulsion/trim/diving/dive & gas planning/teamwork skills but don't want to fully embrace the system. Many locals take Essentials before Fundies, but it's not necessary.

Fundies in doubles will be a new class & a good challenge ;-)

Great you're getting in shape for it.
:wink: Thanks!

Penny and I backed away from our Tech/Cave diving because we let ourselves get out of shape for a couple of years.... so one of the factors last year in making a structured lifestyle change in our diet and exercise was to keep ourselves in better shape for the diving we do... we can no longer "wing it" in our mid-40's and still be "fully capable" on game day with all of the kit we use..... but I've admittedly embraced the exercise and cycling as much as I used to passionately embrace diving...[/
QUOTE]

Good for you for embracing a change! Do you plan to return to tech/cave diving?

I've really enjoyed watching your fitness journey, you make me sound lazy :)! Your enthusiasm is contageous!

Thanks again!! Kathy

Last edited:
Good for you for embracing a change! Do you plan to return to tech/cave diving?

I've really enjoyed watching your fitness journey, you make me sound lazy :)! Your enthusiasm is contageous!

Thanks again!! Kathy

Oh for sure.... cave diving is way too much fun to forego! We're not planning any Trimix diving... just too far away from practical dives for that, but we still enjoy wreck diving... and deco-on-the-fly always comes in handy for those dives (or warm water diving, for that matter).

Thanks for the kudos... it's funny that when I started diving in twin 104/130's in 2001, they seemed heavy to me... but now with the workouts we've adopted, it's my warmup weight for deadlifts or back squats and it's less than what I'm doing in my Overhead Squat avatar pic... I NEVER figured that would happen... but I'm sure glad it did!

Good luck on continued prep for your class and getting back into your workouts!

Sarita- found the powder and had a scoop tonight after my work out. Also bought some fancy smanchie vitamins to take at the same time (I'm such a sucker).
Felt pretty good running tonight. I finally inspired a couple gals who brought their dog to the park and they started running around too! Whoo hoo! It amazes me how many bring their dogs to the park and expect them to run off playing while the owner stands there and chats. :shakehead: The dog will be right next to them.
Finished up the work out at home on the wii fit. Got an hour in total running and wii fit. Will sleep good tonight.

Go Jenny!

Sarita- found the powder and had a scoop tonight after my work out. Also bought some fancy smanchie vitamins to take at the same time (I'm such a sucker).
Felt pretty good running tonight. I finally inspired a couple gals who brought their dog to the park and they started running around too! Whoo hoo! It amazes me how many bring their dogs to the park and expect them to run off playing while the owner stands there and chats. :shakehead: The dog will be right next to them.
Finished up the work out at home on the wii fit. Got an hour in total running and wii fit. Will sleep good tonight.

That's pretty cool that you got some others to run too! Continue to be an example!

Oh for sure.... cave diving is way too much fun to forego!
Where do you dive?

Good luck on continued prep for your class and getting back into your workouts!
Thanks for the support!!! It really helps ;-).

So hit the gym again tonight, this time with a friend which is so much more fun :).

10 minute gentle cardio warm up (.75 mile jog on the treadmill)

Back/Bi/and a little abs (to about 80% of max)

Back
4 sets Seated rows X 15-8
4 sets pull downs X 12-8
4 sets bent over dumbbell rows X 10-8

Bi
4 sets straight bar curls X10
4 sets dumbbell curls X10
4 sets hammer curls X10

Abs
3 sets 45 crunches
2 sets knee raises for lower abs (not sure the name) X20 reps
1 set 20 reps something else that was hard my friend suggested (don't know the name)

Back Extension
3 sets X20 reps

45 minute on/off swimming in the pool

After the earlier discussion here I broke out the protein shake for an after workout treat. It feels so great to be back at the gym!

Hi Jenny, Good to see you here :)!

Hi Sarita, sounds like you are making great use of that new bike!

Last edited:
Where do you dive?

Mostly Northern Florida caves.... but we've done some in the Akumal area.

Saturday:
We had a fortuitous break in the weather for January.... 50F and even a spot or two of sunshine.... so I threw the bike hitch back on and we loaded up to go over and ride on the Little Miami Trail.

Cycled 15 miles, 1:15, average pace was quite low, but leisurely.

Nice gentle ride... just out enjoying the wind in our face and the fresh sights after doing exercise indoors for the past few months.. even saw a deer and couple of small ani-mules. There were over 20 cyclist out on the trail and road taking advantage of a rare January day suitable for riding.

I've got some serious DOMS in my hamstrings after the squats and cleans the other night.

Friday was a rest day for me. Saturday was spent snowboarding up at Lake Tahoe. As it has been raining a lot in the bay area, it means that there has been a bunch of snow falling up there. Everyone seemed to be up there today - and the lifts were BUSY! We still managed to get some good snowboarding in from about 9:30 until 3:30 p.m. I am bruised and tired. Supposed to be running a small race tomorrow, but I am not sure that I will be able to - sore quads.

Today spend an hour in the scuba pool with gear
And took my dog for a 30 minute sprint/jog/walk

Did an hour and a half hike yesterday in 90 degree heat. Only managed to cover about 5 miles, scrubland and pineapple fields. We got caught in some water buffalo on the way home for milking which made for an interesting walk!
I have blisters on blisters, deep scratches from some godawful thorn bushes and an outbreak of freckles..... but it was fantastic.
Had a well deserved beer in the back of the pick up on the way home......

P1230019.jpg

I did an hour's gentle bike ride today, it is just too hot to do too much more.

Laters,
Rach xx

Back
Top Bottom