2010 Fitness Exercise Challenge!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonjour everyone! After Saturday's ride, I took Sunday and Monday off to rest my legs. This morning - back to it!

Tuesday 1/19 - Cycling Class. 55 minutes of active cycling with 7 minutes cool down and stretching. Good times. Approximately 550 calories.

Tuesday

Warmup:
5 minute Row: 866 meters

Kettlebell Windmill 3/side, 10# (great job of loosening tight shoulders)

Workout:
Behind the Neck Press, Snatch Grip 5 x 3

Overhead Squat 5 x 5

Snatch Balance 3 x 2

Drop Snatch 3 x 2

High Hang Snatch 3 x 5 (Bar at waist, approx 1/4 dip and drive)

Hang Power Snatch 2 x 5 (lower bar to just above knees) + 2 Overhead Squats per set

Focus mostly on explosive jump to elevate the bar overhead.

Hi everyone!

Almost back from vacation. Did lots of long kicks from shore for diving but was away from home - so no gym time. Without the weight pumping the big tanks are starting to get noticeably heavier to lift.

I'm really looking forward to being back in the gym ;-). With Fundies only 1 month away (and now probably in dubs) I want to get my fitness up ;-).

Good news is I'm only 2 lbs from my absolutely favorite high school weight ;-).

1/19 Hit the pool with my swim coach for laps - on/off for 1 hour (felt a little weak)
Also 1.5 hours in the scuba pool

Very wet recreations on a very wet rainy day :).

Warmup:
5 minute row: 863 meters

Kettlebell Windmills 10lbs, 3/side x 2

Workout:
Tabata Rowing Intervals (20 seconds row, 10 seconds rest), 12 Intervals at hard pace

1089 meters total, 90 meters average per interval, 1:57 pace/500m

That got the heart rate up and a little lung burn going!!

Wednesday - running. We began outside for about 3 minutes when the thunder began (again) and we ran back home. I ended up running 30 minutes on the dreadmill. It was good times. Tomorrow cycling.

Another day at the park running. But I messed up on counting the laps and shorted myself. Probably a good thing as I was pretty tired last night. Then I got on the wii and the weight I lost was found. GRRRHHH. Dang tough dropping those pounds. My recovery from workouts is very slow, these runs are taking a toll on me already. I was thinking 3x week would be fine, but it seems I need a few days recovery for each run. Any suggestions on post exercise recovery?

I was thinking 3x week would be fine, but it seems I need a few days recovery for each run. Any suggestions on post exercise recovery?

I, too, am finding that three days of running per week is a bit taxing on the ole muscles, making me feel sluggish. I have been trying to do 2x one week, then 3x the next week, alternating. Seems to be going good. As well, try cross training in order to build other muscles and support for your running muscles - elliptical is good, also light cycling, walking, etc. I try to always use my heart rate monitor so I can make sure I am getting good exercise but not under- or over-doing it. Are you stretching well after your runs? IT, calves, hamstrings, quads? Might wish to try a roller in order to help you massage out soreness and tight muscles. I can always tell when I need to spend some time on my roller.

Thursday 1/21 - Cycling class (focus on strength and stamina - lots of sprint segments into uphill climbs, etc). 55 minutes of class with 8 minutes of stretching afterwards. Approximately 600 calories. Now time to tackle the day!

Last night, which is typical after my runs when I get home, I get on the wii fit and do the yoga thing and strength training.

I like the idea of rotating between 3x week and 2x week. Seeing that the 1/2 marathon is Jan 31, I am planning on running on Friday then next week go very light.. just stretching and walking. Then take at least a week off after the 1/2 with just stretching and walking for at least a week. Hermit Crab wants to do a 5k the following week and I told her I would go with her. But that will be mostly walking, very little running, so I should be Ok.

Any suggestions on post exercise recovery?

I, too, am finding that three days of running per week is a bit taxing on the ole muscles, making me feel sluggish.

One of the traditional methods of energy recovery is to recharge during the "Golden Hour" after exercise. The idea is that your muscles are most receptive to a 4:1 Carb/Protein drink/food during this time frame. There are many recovery drink mixes that have this ratio (I got some at the local bicycle shop). There also some Cliff energy bars that use the same ratio... great for long hikes, etc... I love these things and always have some in the pantry and my backpack.

I prefer to keep my own carb ratio level lower for other reasons (related to the Zone Diet), so I'm probably not "optimizing" my recovery... but I don't really care.... :D

Anyway... this is advice I see a lot of bicycling magazines, so take it for what it's worth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom