2010 Fitness Exercise Challenge!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Taipei for a couple of days, no real chance to exercise but am planning to climb Elephant Mountain on Weds am.
Unless it pees down with rain, of course!!

"Pees down with rain." Now that is an interesting expression

I've been reading an article about strategies for reaching a milestone of a 2k Row in 7 minutes. One of the workouts broke the 2K into 42 second segments and then row at least 200 meters in each segment, then rest for 30 seconds in between. Doing 10 of these would give you a 2K row at pace with rest intervals.

Tonight I used the workout as a warmup and as a test to see how many 200+ meter intervals I could string together. Each 200m interval would approximate the feeling of a 1:45/500m pace necessary for a 7minute/2K Row.

:42 124m 2:49/500m pace, 30 seconds rest
:42 142m 2:27/500m pace, 30 seconds rest
:42 144m 2:25/500m pace, 30 seconds rest
:42 152m 2:18/500m pace, 30 seconds rest
:42 172m 2:02/500m pace, 30 seconds rest
:42 204m 1:42/500m pace, 30 seconds rest
:42 201m 1:44/500m pace, 30 seconds rest
:42 203m 1:43/500m pace, 30 seconds rest
:42 205m 1:42/500m pace, 30 seconds rest

I only managed 9 intervals, stringing together the last 4 at "race pace". After the first two at "race pace" I was gasping pretty good, and after the fourth, I lacked the mental fortitude and was gasping too much to even give the 10th interval a go. I guess this means I have some room for improvement.... LOL

After packing a few lbs over Christmas (don't you hate those buffets?) weighed in this morning at 228 - target to get below 200. Did 4.1 miles on the treadmill this morning - just need to do that 5 or 6 times a week and I just might be ready for the 10K in May.

Back to see Coach Chris after a layoff since about a week before Christmas. His first words were something to the effect of, "We're going to start back near ground zero".

Workout:
Drop Snatch Press Behind the neck 5 x 3

Snatch Balance 3 x 4

Hang Snatch Drop + Overhead Squat 5 x 5

Transitional Deadlifts from a box (mid calf to mid thigh) 5 x 5

Good Mornings 5 x 3

I need to continue to work on flexibility in my ankles for better positioning in the bottom of the squat. Also, to work on explosive "muscle recruitment", it was suggested I start working on "jumping" back squats with about 60% of 1 rep maximum, working on explosive jump up and speed of repetition. (approx 8 reps in 10 seconds). Sucks getting old, and I'm not sure how much improvement I can make in this area.

Good morning all! Glad to see everyone is plugging away on their goals.

Tuesday 1/12/10 - Was supposed to have done cycling class. When I woke up at 5:20 a.m., however, I sat down and couldn't bring myself to get my biking clothes on. Given that, I decided to go back to bed.

Wednesday 1/13/10 - Back to it with a 30 minute jog and a 15 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down. Approximately 500 calories according to the HRM, but I think its a bit high. Stretching and now at work.

Good morning all! Glad to see everyone is plugging away on their goals.

Tuesday 1/12/10 - Was supposed to have done cycling class. When I woke up at 5:20 a.m., however, I sat down and couldn't bring myself to get my biking clothes on. Given that, I decided to go back to bed.

Wednesday 1/13/10 - Back to it with a 30 minute jog and a 15 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down. Approximately 500 calories according to the HRM, but I think its a bit high. Stretching and now at work.
Love the honesty of going back to bed! Nice jogging. Sounds productive.

Me, I had a really really bad day at work, so when I got home, I took off to the dog park for some running. I turn the pups loose in the park and I run the inside perimeter. 1 lap jogging = approx. 8 Hail Mary's :)
1 lap warm up walking, then:
2 laps jogging, 1 lap walking x6 with rep 5 going 3 laps jogging. Stretched afterwards. Went home and did 30 min on the wii fit- yoga, strength training and balance games.

I don't know which HRM you're using but the calorie calculator on mine is usually very close to the calories calculated by my treadmill so it could be closer than you think (unless you set your weight to 2,000lbs! :D)

Love the honesty of going back to bed! Nice jogging. Sounds productive.
Honest to a fault sometimes. :) I did have to go back to bed though. Legs felt heavy, eyelids were heavier though! :)

Oh noooooooo! :no: coffee! you need more coffee!!! :coffee:
Can you believe this - I don't drink coffee!! Made it through law school without it. Although, I do wish that I had the taste for it because it would be helpful. But yes, caffeine is necessary.

I don't know which HRM you're using but the calorie calculator on mine is usually very close to the calories calculated by my treadmill so it could be closer than you think (unless you set your weight to 2,000lbs! :D)

Oh no! How did you guess I way 2000 #?! So sad. :wink: Just kidding. I have always thought it was pretty accurate, although that seems a bit high. That being said 500 / 60 minutes = 8.3 calories per minute, which is probably about right. Thanks for talking some sense into me Brian!

Back
Top Bottom