200ft dive, but avoids the Chamber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

good point Don.

Well...sure the doc was probably right. I just was wondering HOW he figured out that the man did not need a chamber, if the man was having symptoms.....just out of curiosity.

Maybe the time? Some docs I have heard of put people in for chamber rides several days out. My neighbor went to Palau and had been home five days and they put her in based on some vague symptoms...I was sort surprised about that to. They must have a way they decide. I was curious to the way they make the call. They aren't wizards, you know.

I still think "telling the person that it was ....unwise...and a mild belittling" is part of a prudent treatment.

I mean, somebody drives drunk and we ...uh..council them a little, don't we? okay..educate.

catherine96821:
I mean, somebody drives drunk and we ...uh..council them a little, don't we? okay..educate.

The judge councils the driver, but the doctor doesn't. If you knew you were going to get chewed out by the doctor everytime you went, would you go? If he is going to belittle for having high blood pressure, being overweight, going bald, or being impotent, who would go?

Hopefully that's not DIE's condition :)

I agree with Don -- good to see someone do a whoops, acknowledge it and talk to the pros, and I absolutely see why DAN would post such a letter, with the author's permission.

I read the story again and this is probably how he figured the diver didn't need a chamber ride.
Quote:
After a review of the day and asking me a series of questions, Joel was able to calm me down. He spent a long time reviewing and re-reviewing the case and determined that I probably wasn't bent and at this time the chamber visit was not going to be required, UNLESS symptoms began. (end quote)

You could probably call and ask what are the typical questions they would ask. Of course they won't reveal anything about the incident.

Maybe the time? Some docs I have heard of put people in for chamber rides several days out. My neighbor went to Palau and had been home five days and they put her in based on some vague symptoms...I was sort surprised about that to. They must have a way they decide. I was curious to the way they make the call. They aren't wizards, you know.
I am very surprised.

But then I spoke with a physician in Lubbock once to precribed chamber treatments for a young man "...who got bent taking the elevator out of Carlsbad Carverns." The doc owned the chamber, btw. :eyebrow:

good grief... all for a t-shirt.... and on top of that, this is a testimonial for DAN.... sigh.... what's this world coming to...

TSherman:
Do everyone a favor...sell all of your gear, kill your buddy and never speak to anyone of your diving. It is because of people like this story that people deem the sport unsafe! 200 feet and a bounce dive with "reef" equipment makes you nothing more than stupid....period. No one that dives that deep thinks you are cool either, just an ***.

You should really stick to a swimming pool and leave the diving to people with some brain wave activity.

Thanks,
the Safe Divers
Hopefully by you, you mean the guy in the story. Doesnt anyone read constructively anymore?

The attack by the Safe Divers spokesman came from a SB newbie also new to diving. I just chuckled at the sophomoric statement.

DandyDon:
The attack by the Safe Divers spokesman came from a SB newbie also new to diving. I just chuckled at the sophomoric statement.

You're a better person than I Don! :D I jumped on the post like others. You would have thought he would have responded to the reactions though. Could have been an honest oversight or mistake. Nonetheless an acknowledgement or apology would have been appropriate.

Too many individuals use these forums to vent and pontificate, rather to learn and share exeriences (in that order.)

Back
Top Bottom