200ft dive, but avoids the Chamber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many people have been much deeper on air.....it all depends on the body. This guy is just lucky....shame of it is people will read this and try it. Over 180-190 should be on trimix just to be safe and never attempted by damn vacation reef divers. UNREAL!

cowboyneal:
My understanding is that you can have an onset of O2 toxicity symptoms at or around 207 feet and greater almost immediately (I'm not talking convulsions and death, I'm talking "onset of symptoms") depending on physiology and other variable factors. This guy claims to have been 220 and Bullethead deeper than him. Also, with him on the phone describing these symptoms to DAN, again, it's highly unlikely they would have said it's nothing...if anything, DAN is overly cautious when rendering advice over the phone and would normally recommend the guy see a local physician under this factual scenario...I don't want to argue about it, I was just noting...CN

TSherman:
Do everyone a favor...sell all of your gear, kill your buddy and never speak to anyone of your diving. It is because of people like this story that people deem the sport unsafe! 200 feet and a bounce dive with "reef" equipment makes you nothing more than stupid....period. No one that dives that deep thinks you are cool either, just an ***.

You should really stick to a swimming pool and leave the diving to people with some brain wave activity.

Thanks,
the Safe Divers

Who are you flaming here?????? The original post was simply a quote from the DAN site. I don't believe the individual involved has been a part of this dialogue.

TSherman:
Do everyone a favor...sell all of your gear, kill your buddy and never speak to anyone of your diving. It is because of people like this story that people deem the sport unsafe! 200 feet and a bounce dive with "reef" equipment makes you nothing more than stupid....period. No one that dives that deep thinks you are cool either, just an ***.

You should really stick to a swimming pool and leave the diving to people with some brain wave activity.

Thanks,
the Safe Divers

Is that directed at me?

I did not write my post in a manner to suggest that it made anybody cool or safe, however it is a simple fact. You can like it or dislike it but the fact remains.

However, what I don't need (or anybody for that matter) is to be attacked in this manner from you.

When teaching technical courses in fact I bring that exact fact up, along with the other fact that in Cayman we used to lose divemasters doing that fairly often. One thing in common, other than being deep on air is that they all had done deeper dives on air with all else being the same than on the dive they didn't return (Except one who went out for a "personal best"

I knew many of these now dead Instructors, in fact one of them I asked to not dive the day he died.

People with brain wave activity don't post like you did.

TSherman:
Many people have been much deeper on air.....it all depends on the body. This guy is just lucky....shame of it is people will read this and try it. Over 180-190 should be on trimix just to be safe and never attempted by damn vacation reef divers. UNREAL!

Heck, I teach over any deco dive over 100 should be on tri mix.... You have enough task loading between the equipment, enviornment, situational awareness, deco plan, etc., no need to be stoned.

TSherman:
Do everyone a favor...sell all of your gear...
If that's directed at cerich, he's trying! :D

Rick Inman:
If that's directed at cerich, he's trying! :D

ROFLMA!:D

I wish, I hardly ever sell my gear, thus a 12'X12' shed full of gear and half of my 2 car garage full of diving stuff....

However the company, now we have a large warehouse of gear to sell!

If you dive Truk and the San Francisco, you'll be doing it on air unless you bring a rebreather or your own mix.

jviehe:
He could have been on a HP130 for all we know.

Drinking lots of water and relaxing for the rest of the day, fatigue began to set in from the dive as well as from the week. Joints began to tighten, and muscle spasms flared as I tried to relax and prepare for the flight home.

Given that he was flying home the next day and has only 70 dives, almost certain to be rental tanks and in my experience these are all ALU80's or smaller.

I wish I could rent HP130's with my camera and a DM as a dive buddy it would have made my day.

victor:
Given that he was flying home the next day and has only 70 dives, almost certain to be rental tanks and in my experience these are all ALU80's or smaller.

I wish I could rent HP130's with my camera and a DM as a dive buddy it would have made my day.
Going to 200 on a 80 cf tank is not that difficult. Stupid perhaps, but for a bounce dive - doable. The buddy who abandoned the DAN member subject of the story made it even more stupid. If one had a air failure, it'd be very risky for both to ascend on the remainer the other had, but alone - even worse.

Many operators have 100 & 130 cf tanks on request. Have you asked? And a DM as a private dive buddy is only a matter of money usually. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom