200ft dive, but avoids the Chamber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow.

Luck + Stupidity + Narcosis = Helluva story :)

We've all done irrational things in our diving career -- some get away with them, and some learn from their experiences. Let's take this as an example of what not to do...

I don't want to beat anybody up...but why is DAN printing this like it is a favorable testimonial?

I am really puzzled.

caveseeker, thank you for "validating my feelings". Now if we could just get Doc V in here to opine. Am dying to hear some opinions.

Or...the DAN doc, maybe he could explain the thinking....

Great post, very enlightening.

Is DAN having cutbacks on frivolous chamber rides?

I smell a BS story. First, it's amazing that this diver (and especially Mr. Bulletproof) didn't suffer O2 toxicity (see below). Second, it's highly unlikely that calling DAN with this story would result in a "don't worry about it" result.

Effects of Oxygen at Depth -- The effects of oxygen are increased at depth so that the maximum PO2 in diving is 1.6 ATA, and this is achieved at 218 fsw breathing air, 132 fsw breathing 32% O2, and 20 fsw breathing 100% O2.

This is due to the effects of Dalton's Law which states that on descent, the partial pressure of all component gases increase in the same ratio as the total pressure. This results in the creation of the elevated pO2 that causes the convulsions of O2 toxicity and is the direct cause of nitrogen narcosis and along with Boyle's law, is the cause of decompression sickness.

The Paul Bert Effect

Muscle twitching and spasm
nausea and vomiting
dizziness
vision (tunnel vision) and hearing difficulties (tinnitus)
twitching of facial muscles
irritability, confusion and a sense of impending doom
trouble breathing, anxiety
unusual fatigue
incoordination
convulsion

Convulsion at depth in water usually results in drowning or arterial gas embolism.

cowboyneal:
I smell a BS story. First, it's amazing that this diver (and especially Mr. Bulletproof) didn't suffer O2 toxicity (see below). Second, it's highly unlikely that calling DAN with this story would result in a "don't worry about it" result.

I be amazed if there would've been O2 toxity. Diver had PO2 around 1,6 and Mr. Bulletproof around 1,8 according the estimated depth,(but CNS however quite high thought impossible to estimate without having a clue about the time at depth).
So PO2 was above recreatinal limits, but not really on the redzone
About DAN: We can't know here how the situation was told to them. How he described the symtoms etc. So there's no reason to make conclusions in any way. Only thing we can do is to wonder how normal, reasonable people sometimes do something totally insane:no
There's somewhere THE thread about "How deep you can dive with air" or something like that, It's a real thriller in some places:dot:

My understanding is that you can have an onset of O2 toxicity symptoms at or around 207 feet and greater almost immediately (I'm not talking convulsions and death, I'm talking "onset of symptoms") depending on physiology and other variable factors. This guy claims to have been 220 and Bullethead deeper than him. Also, with him on the phone describing these symptoms to DAN, again, it's highly unlikely they would have said it's nothing...if anything, DAN is overly cautious when rendering advice over the phone and would normally recommend the guy see a local physician under this factual scenario...I don't want to argue about it, I was just noting...CN

I don't know if this is the same guy I ran into in Cozumel. He went out and did a 200 ft dive, single tank, air, so he would he "entitled" to wear the "at 200 ft, no one can hear you scream" T-shirt. He had his profile printed out and showed it around to prove he did it. Moron!!

I just re-read the post, not the same guy, this guy was with a buddy. That means there are at least two that are into this T shirt thing.

Wow i've done some stupid things in my life but never for a t-shirt. After a stunt like that i understand why lions eat their young, to weed out the stupid ones.

cowboyneal:
If you re-read the original post, you'll see that this is published on DAN's website. I think we can believe at least DAN's part of the story.

cowboyneal:
My understanding is that you can have an onset of O2 toxicity symptoms at or around 207 feet and greater almost immediately (I'm not talking convulsions and death, I'm talking "onset of symptoms") depending on physiology and other variable factors. This guy claims to have been 220 and Bullethead deeper than him. Also, with him on the phone describing these symptoms to DAN, again, it's highly unlikely they would have said it's nothing...if anything, DAN is overly cautious when rendering advice over the phone and would normally recommend the guy see a local physician under this factual scenario...I don't want to argue about it, I was just noting...CN

Not wanting to argue either. Some information from http://www.gasdiving.co.uk/pages/misc/Nitrox.htm#11

What are the working limits of oxygen?

0.1 Below the threshold for life support
0.12 Threshold for serious hypoxia
0.16 Threshold for minor hypoxia
0.21 Normoxic
0.35 Normal saturation exposure
0.5 Maximum saturation exposure
1.4 Maximum normal diving exposure
1.6 Exceptional exposure for work diving
1.8 USN exceptional exposure (was 2.0 until recently)
2.2 Belgian Navy limit (was 2.3 until recently)
3.0 Medical limit for life threatening condition (i.e. DCS or gas gangrene)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom