200ft dive, but avoids the Chamber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GradualAccent:
Interesting. If I read this correctly cold then hot shower, even after a relatively long time could lead to Type I symptoms.
Depending on the individual's N2 load. Neither of these students got anywhere NEAR the upper limits of their computer. In fact, I would suggest that they were quite close to being at atmospheric equilibrium, especially by the time her shower rolled around.

Why do i get the idea that his buddy for this adventure was one of the divemasters?

Hey,

1. Don, great coke can anology to cold showers and DCS.

2. All, I suggest reading Bernie C's book, "Last DIve". Bernie is a diver and the author. Despite my bias for divers, I found that Bernie truly told a better story than Shadow Divers, regarding similar events. And, no! Shadow divers is not about "a story of a rich playboy diver who dove the Doria, got narced, lost bouyancy control, and plummeted into the bowels of the ship, never to see the surface again. This story was before Chatterton started diving Trimix, and I though[t] he was one of the first to use it in cold water wreck diving." In fact, Shadow Divers and Last Dive both tell of events that occured when trimix was available and being used.

3. I am guessing the posted report is about an incident that happened in Cozumel at Punta Sur reef, involving the Devil's throat swim through area.

4. IMO, that 200 ft scream shirt is stupid. Although I think it would be neat to see what is down at 200 or 220 ft, I am not inclined to be tempted to dive that deep to see what is specifiically down there or win rightful claim to the shirt. Even if I bought the shirt, I would not have the urge to claim I was down to 200 ft. And if I did, shoot, I would just lie. "Let's not, and say we did".

5. You know that quote, "Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time." It would be fitting to adapt it to either, "Don't do the dive, if you can't do the deco time", or Don't do the dive, if you can't live with the DCS hit."

6. I wonder what Victor would say if you asked him, "well, Victor, what did you see at 200 ft? Anything interesting?" If he says, "a turtle, banded shrimp, and this huge 500 pound grouper" or "these awesome coral formations", well than I would say good deal! If he says, "not a whole lot, I was focusing on my breathing, my computer, and my buddy", than well what a suqy @$$ dive.

cerich:
I know Divemasters in Cayman (I once was one of them) who could bounce 220 on a single alum 80 all day and still do the deco stops.

Not safe, not smart and not a recommendation but it was done frequently. Not with students or guests however.....

again, I second that

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom