2007 SEC Football Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, did anyone have a problem with Mark Richt's little "command celebration" after Georgia's go-ahead touchdown in the first quarter? Looks like it might have gotten a little out of hand. Also, did it make him look kinda hypocritical afer chastising his players for stomping on the middle of the field at Vandy the game before?

So, did anyone have a problem with Mark Richt's little "command celebration" after Georgia's go-ahead touchdown in the first quarter? Looks like it might have gotten a little out of hand. Also, did it make him look kinda hypocritical afer chastising his players for stomping on the middle of the field at Vandy the game before?

I saw his 'command celebration' after the game on tv of him smooching with his wife. (But not the one after the go-ahead touchdown). Are you talking about where the entire team rushed the field or something he did individually?

As for the Vandy game, he should have chastised his players for stomping on Vandy's logo after the game. he should have them running touch-and-gones (grabbing lines) or some other punishment the next morning. It was just poor sportsmanship of them.

If you are just referring to the celebration by the players, I thought it was ok, even though it yeilded a penalty. It didn't tread on the other team like stomping on their logo did. They did get 2 pentalty flags for it, which was expected and deserved.

However, several news stories about his actions in the Florida game. Just goto Google News and put in his name.

here is a quote from one of them

"I was going to create enthusiasm whether they liked it or not," said Georgia's "Mr. Nice Guy" Coach Mark Richt. "I told them if they didn't get a celebration penalty after our first touchdown, they'd be running at 5:45 in the morning."​

While it might have not been "politically correct", you have to love seeing a team get excited like that.

In comparison, Kentucky was fined $50,000 by the SEC for allowing it's fans to rush the field after beating LSU. While that might have not been politically correct either in today's "PC" world, I think every Kentucky fan would agree it was justified. :D

But talking about storming the field and tearing down goalposts after a win, when Appalacian State beat Michigan, fans (a crowd of thousands) tore down the goalposts at App State stadium and carried them through the campus, and deposited them in the driveway of the schools Chancellor. Now the ironic thing about this was that App State played an away game in Michigan! :rofl3:

here's a pic of some students the next day posing for a pic with the goal posts in question

bp87892.jpg

Pipe down onespeed before I ten speed:::::: Your team just might lose this weekend :)

Interesting year so far. My wildcats look ready to fold, although hope springs eternal in the bluegrass state! Who woulda thunk Vandy would be SC? The old ballcoach probably had a mild stroke over that one.

If you are just referring to the celebration by the players, I thought it was ok, even though it yeilded a penalty. It didn't tread on the other team like stomping on their logo did. They did get 2 pentalty flags for it, which was expected and deserved.

Yeah, that would be the one.

The running on to the field and messing up the other teams logo has come to an end since the Auburn-Georgia game at Jordan-Hare when the Georgia team and fans got "hosed" because they rushed the field, started pulling up the turf and wouldn't leave. It was a sight to behold. I also remember losing to Tennesee my Freshman year and they tore down their goal posts and marched them around the field and then they rammed it in to the AU band and knocked out one of our saxaphone players when they hit her in the head--not very good sportsmanship there.

The running on to the field and messing up the other teams logo has come to an end since the Auburn-Georgia game at Jordan-Hare when the Georgia team and fans got "hosed" because they rushed the field, started pulling up the turf and wouldn't leave. It was a sight to behold. I also remember losing to Tennesee my Freshman year and they tore down their goal posts and marched them around the field and then they rammed it in to the AU band and knocked out one of our saxaphone players when they hit her in the head--not very good sportsmanship there.

I remember that game. I think it was 1987.

The Georgia fans wouldn't get off the field and like you said, started pulling up the turf. They really tore up the field. In order to get them off the field, they had the stadium crew turn on the 'water cannons' that they used to clean the trash out of the bleachers and turn them on the crowd on the field.

t-shirt shops printed t-shirts that said "if you can't beat them, HOSE them"

But here is prob one of the most famous things....

The Florida - Miami Game from long ago....

Back many years ago there was the "Florida Flop". Miami was being beat bad at 45-8 with just a little bit of time left in the game. Florida's quaterback was only a little bit shy of breaking the NCAA career passing record.

The players convinced Coach Doug Dickey to let the defensive players on the field drop to the ground and let Miami score a touchdown so that Florida could get the ball back quickly and the QB John Reaves could go on a break the record. So when the ball was hiked, the 11 defensvie players dropped to the ground and 'flopped' around. Miami scored 'untouched'.

Florida got the ball back and John Reaves when on to break the NCAA career passing record that season.

The Florida team went wild celbrating. A bunch of them even jumped into the swimming pool at the end of the field of the stadium, in their uniforms.

Needless to say, Miami was 'pissed'.

This espisode in football history became known as the "Florida Flop"

Then there was Tubby and the Auburn players smoking cigars and and stomping on the Eye of the Tiger at LSU. One of the main reasons LSU fans hate him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom