2006 SEC Football Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captain:
Alabama has been firing coaches ever since the Bear retired. With Saban I think Alabama will be fired by Saban if he is sucessful and the bigger $$$$$$$$ come knocking. How do you tell if Saban is lying, his mouth is moving.

You are correct about the lying part, but don't think many schools will come trying to take Saban away at the $4 mil a year price tag.

jeepbrew:
You are correct about the lying part ...snip....

I think too much is made about Saban’s lies to the press. Saban isn't the first nor will he be the last coach to lie to the press. After all if you look up synonyms for liar you will find “coach” listed. Saban was 2-3 against Auburn (which was 2 more than Shula) at LSU. So if Alabama can live with 2 wins over Auburn every 5 years, so can I. I now know it is worth $36 million ($4 to dump Shula + $32 to get Saban) to Bama fans to beat Auburn. :wink:

What struck me during this whole coaching search was that the coach I love to hate, Steve Spurrier, was the only one that showed any integrity. He stuck by exactly what he said.

All I can say is WAR EAGLE!!!!

Spurrier is a straight shooter. He WHINES better than anyone else, but he attempts to be truthful as far as I can tell.

ScubaTexan:
Umm, actually, his name is Nick Saban....LOL

Mike Saban .... I guess I put the Mike in intead of Nick by accident by somehow combining the two coaches (mike shula + nick saban) into one coach.

captain:
Alabama has been firing coaches ever since the Bear retired. With Saban I think Alabama will be fired by Saban if he is sucessful and the bigger $$$$$$$$ come knocking. How do you tell if Saban is lying, his mouth is moving.

Yeah... Saban being a liar was the first thing that came to mind when I saw him in the press conference in front of the Alabama logo's. Didn't this guy just 2-3 days before say that he was not coming to coach at Alabama? Boy he didn't start off with any integrity did he?

Rocketman:
What struck me during this whole coaching search was that the coach I love to hate, Steve Spurrier, was the only one that showed any integrity. He stuck by exactly what he said.

Actually I really disliked Spurrier when he was at Florida, but I think his short career with the Redskins taught him a lesson or two about life. I actually think he's done a pretty good job and have liked him since he's been at South Carolina. He's done a lot of good for that schools atheletic programs. I still think that Spurrier was the top pick for the Bama job though, but I can't blame him for "saying no". I mean why would he want to get in the middle of all the politics at Bama and having to live up to a coach that's been dead for 24 years.

Boy, Don Shula really raked both Nick Saban and Alabama over the coals last week -- Saban for abandoning the Dolphins, and the Crimson Tide for the way Mike was treated. Can't say I really blame him, though -- Alabama's fall from grace is not exactly an overnight occurance. I tend to believe Bill Curry when he said there is a faction out there that a former UA president calls "The Alabama Mafia." He said nobody knows who they are and certainly no one is admitting to it, but someone sure looks like they're pulling the puppet strings in Tuscaloosa.

ScubaTexan:
I tend to believe Bill Curry when he said there is a faction out there that a former UA president calls "The Alabama Mafia." He said nobody knows who they are and certainly no one is admitting to it, but someone sure looks like they're pulling the puppet strings in Tuscaloosa.

There is also what's called "The Machine". I got a feeling that's what Bill Curry is talking about. Do a "google for "The Machine" and Alabama and you'll find all kinds of information about it.

"The Machine" is basically what runs politics at the Univ of Alabama. Of course members graduate, but that just means they are "Machine" alumnis that can donate to the cause. (thus the Alabama Mafia).

When they got rid of Shula and hired another coach, the upper coattails of the alumnus "passed the hat" to pay for Shula's $4 million departure and towards paying for another coach. It's amazing what can be done with a tax free donation to a education institution.

Another T by the Orange and Blue!

I can't believe that the review did not take it away! :D

GATORS 14
Buckeyes- 7
GO GATORS!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom