2006 North Coast Camp & Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pacificgal:
Alright, I have reserved my son's wetsuit and my tanks. I have gotten my new BCD fixed. I have purchased a dive knife, and my husband bought us a couple sleeping bags. I have run my camping cooking gear through the dishwasher, I have pitched and unpitched my tent. I will be testing flashlights and starting to pack tonight. I will go grocery shopping and pack the car with my dive gear and camping gear tomorrow night. I pick up the rented wetsuit and tanks Saturday morning, go to hockey game, then I am on my way!
I don't need to bring a camp stove or BBQ, do I? I am assuming that when you said "firepower" that's what you meant? Am I forgetting anything? Is there anything else I should bring? I am still going to try and bring a box of firewood.
Yes, fire power means big pro style stoves. I think we are going to be OK on firewood. I am bringing a bunch and some other people are bringing some big rounds to split up so I think we're in good shape.
See you there and have a nice ride.

ZKY

Well, I have gotten home safely from Chicago. However, when running some errands yesterday, my hubby found it to be running rough. He took it to the shop and it shoudl be done by 5 pm tonight. Not sure if we will leave this evening or early in the morn. Turns out both boys will be with me - Graham, 15 and Alex. See you guys soon!

L

dangit!!! really wish i coulda been there!!! oh well, always next year....

Ishie:
Woo hoo! We got our Gerstle dive in!!! I swear, Laurel found like a 13 incher!!!

Good times, all round...
Man, I'm really sorry I missed that one. It's probably better though because I did manage to get home and get all my stuff put away and my gear cleaned up.

What kind of vis did you guys have?

ZKY

Eric,

Awesome camping trip. I definitely enjoyed all of the the fresh seafood, especially the scallops and Vermillion ceviche.

Here's some pics from Gerstle Cove that I took that day.

Ericson

Here's a report a wrote up for Diver.net. Good to see you guys and hope to see you again!

North Coast Bash Report

I just got back late last night from Eric Sedletzky's annual North Coast extravaganza. Wow -- what a weekend!

We arrived at the Ocean Cove campsite on Thursday just in time to meet Eric as he was returning from a dive with three abs under his arm.

After setting up the tent, I brought out some bugs that had been in my freezer since the end of lobster season. I wanted to make some lobster taquitos, but I didn't have a recipe so I decided to improvise - how hard could it be? They came out nicely and were a perfect appetizer for the steaks, ribs and baked potatoes that followed.

We took Eric's boat out on Friday with the intention of doing some dives up the coast but the south swell made for some uncomfortable boating. We turned around and got beat up as we headed back to the shelter of the cove. We attempted to make a dive inside the cove but technical difficulties on the surface forced us to abort before we got wet. We compensated with a good beach dive during which Eric snagged a lingcod and I identified some new leaks in my drysuit.

That evening, the campsite filled up with some familiar faces and many new ones. One of the new guys, Jack, was everybody's good buddy thanks to his home-made gourmet pizza cooked on a Weber grill -- yum!

On Saturday, the ocean was virtually flat calm and four of us took off on Eric's boat to check out a very promising site a few miles north of the campsite. The visibility was outstanding for the North Coast -- better than 20 feet in places -- and the topography was unreal. The site was littered with house-sized boulders and the spaces between them and beneath them were like a rabbit's warren of canyons and caves. Some of the boulders were breaking the surface and the jumbled structure extended down well past 70 feet. Every surface was smothered in growth and the water column was filled with huge schools of rockfish.

Eric shot a nice vermillion and found a crevice that was loaded with an entire limit of scallops. It was such a nice spot we decided to dive it twice just for fun.

Back at the campsite, I launched a borrowed kayak and went on a tour of the cove with the kids. Later, I went back out on the 'yak to freedive for some abs just before sunset. The cove was absolutely stacked with abs and I got a limit in no time.

The feast on Saturday night was truly epic with more seafood than you could shake a speargun at. From breaded abalone and sauteed scallops to a couple of kinds of fresh ceviche, as well as more ribs and steaks, everybody contributed something to the feast.

After packing up the site on Sunday, I made another quick run out into the cove for some abs to bring home.

I'll post some pics once I have a chance to download the camera.

Thanks again Eric for putting it all together!

A few memorable quotes from the weekend:

"That's the longest tongue I've ever seen." (One woman to another down at the boat ramp).

"I'm getting a bulk pack of duct tape to take care of both you guys."

"Good night, buddy. I'm going to have to turn out the lights now."
"I don't know where I am."
"You're camping."

Nice trip report Jon and great diving with you. Erics boat is an awesome dive platform. The vis was spectacular along with the topography. Wish I would have brought my video camera to capture a Vermillion getting speared or a picture of the shot my buddy made on Ling right between the eyes. Found out after the dive it was the first fish he had ever speared. I think I better read the fish and game regulations before going and spearing anything that moves. Too bad you didn't have any luck with my sling. How many people dove on Sunday? Once again Eric, great party, already looking forward to next year.

jondavies:
Here's a report a wrote up for Diver.net. Good to see you guys and hope to see you again!

North Coast Bash Report

I just got back late last night from Eric Sedletzky's annual North Coast extravaganza. Wow -- what a weekend!

We arrived at the Ocean Cove campsite on Thursday just in time to meet Eric as he was returning from a dive with three abs under his arm.

After setting up the tent, I brought out some bugs that had been in my freezer since the end of lobster season. I wanted to make some lobster taquitos, but I didn't have a recipe so I decided to improvise - how hard could it be? They came out nicely and were a perfect appetizer for the steaks, ribs and baked potatoes that followed.

We took Eric's boat out on Friday with the intention of doing some dives up the coast but the south swell made for some uncomfortable boating. We turned around and got beat up as we headed back to the shelter of the cove. We attempted to make a dive inside the cove but technical difficulties on the surface forced us to abort before we got wet. We compensated with a good beach dive during which Eric snagged a lingcod and I identified some new leaks in my drysuit.

That evening, the campsite filled up with some familiar faces and many new ones. One of the new guys, Jack, was everybody's good buddy thanks to his home-made gourmet pizza cooked on a Weber grill -- yum!

On Saturday, the ocean was virtually flat calm and four of us took off on Eric's boat to check out a very promising site a few miles north of the campsite. The visibility was outstanding for the North Coast -- better than 20 feet in places -- and the topography was unreal. The site was littered with house-sized boulders and the spaces between them and beneath them were like a rabbit's warren of canyons and caves. Some of the boulders were breaking the surface and the jumbled structure extended down well past 70 feet. Every surface was smothered in growth and the water column was filled with huge schools of rockfish.

Eric shot a nice vermillion and found a crevice that was loaded with an entire limit of scallops. It was such a nice spot we decided to dive it twice just for fun.

Back at the campsite, I launched a borrowed kayak and went on a tour of the cove with the kids. Later, I went back out on the 'yak to freedive for some abs just before sunset. The cove was absolutely stacked with abs and I got a limit in no time.

The feast on Saturday night was truly epic with more seafood than you could shake a speargun at. From breaded abalone and sauteed scallops to a couple of kinds of fresh ceviche, as well as more ribs and steaks, everybody contributed something to the feast.

After packing up the site on Sunday, I made another quick run out into the cove for some abs to bring home.

I'll post some pics once I have a chance to download the camera.

Thanks again Eric for putting it all together!

A few memorable quotes from the weekend:

"That's the longest tongue I've ever seen." (One woman to another down at the boat ramp).

"I'm getting a bulk pack of duct tape to take care of both you guys."

"Good night, buddy. I'm going to have to turn out the lights now."
"I don't know where I am."
"You're camping."
aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh , jon thats funny, the duct tape that is, and I KNOW who that is for!!!!!!!!!! sigh!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom