2 x Molokini or add Lanai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a little early for good whale watching. At the Renassiance we have only had one decent day seeing them from shore, 4 meandering toward the pali for 3 hours. Those B&B divers should go to Vegas next, they are really, really lucky. I suggest a Molokini snorkel trip out of Maalaea harbor. The boat ride portions have nearly as much whale watching as the dedicated whale watches this time of year, plus you get 2 snorkel locations and lunch.

There is a shallow shelf SW of Molokai named Penguin Bank where all Hawaii humpbacks probably spend more of their time. Satelite tracking studies have indicated that there are more there at any one time than anywhere else. This area is the fishery that many of the Oahu commercial fisherman ply and indicates a high liklyhood of opertunistic feeding while in Hawaii.

http://www.dolphin-institute.org/resource_guide/gettingtoknowhumpbackwhales.htm

Above is a link to a page relating shallow water (Penguin Bank and Maui County) to preferred humpback life (see winter reproductive grounds). The interisland waters off South and West Maui are definately the best bet for whalewatching. I think the other islands start seeing more when the shallow water gets crowded (Feb).

Wailea has been nicely protected from the strong trades, only getting a good blast yesterday afternoon. Winds are predicted to get more Easterly and wave models indicate Jaws may go off in the next few days so Molokini might be sketchy and shore diving might be California-ish, except for temp - 79 at St. Anthony yesterday.

During my many trips to Maui as a tourist, I would mostly dive the side where I was staying, (Lanai if West Maui; Molokini if in South Maui) with just 1 or 2 trips to the other side of the island.

Assuming that you are staying in W. Maui (Lahaina/Kaanapali, etc) then I'd drive over to Kihei to do Molokini one time and go out from Lahaina with Extended Horizons to Lanai for the 2nd dive day.

While there are subtle differences in the reefs between Molokini and Lanai, they are both great and IMO the best way to enjoy your vacation is to cut down on the driving time.

-----------------------------

My recommendation is to use the rental gear on the boat. The DM's can quickly show you the features of the gear, and it is convenient to have it waiting for you rather
than having to haul it. Of course, if you were going to be doing a whole bunch of shore diving, then it would make sense to rent and use one set of gear for the duration.

--------------------

Water temp is about 79F right now. A 3mm full wetsuit is most common. Newer divers that move a lot more and tend to have shorter dives will probably find that a shorty is enough. My general recommendation is if in doubt, err on the side of too much neoprene.

halemano Wailea has been nicely protected from the strong trades:
Halemano, thanks for all the great whale info. Question: regarding your comments on wind, what do you mean by "Jaws may go off in the next few days"?

dehydration - lots of divers still use it, but it can dehydrate you, as can many OTC medications like sudafed...

Jaws is our BIG surf spot.

I dunno if any dive boats go to this spot, but it was fantastic. I stayed on Lanai a few years back and beach dove a little cove directly behind the harbor where the island gets all it's commercial loads. The walk down is not fun and the beach is very small, but it's deep and very, very clear. One of the best spots I have ever been to.

OMG! Kris, those waves are unbelievable! Thanks for the photos.

Any recommendations for a nice viewpoint of the crazies surfing those monster waves?

I'd love to make a recommendation, but I haven't yet experienced watching them, myself! Rumour has it there are some nice vantage points at the top of the cliffs around there, but I haven't yet gone exploring the maps I have in Maui Revealed to find them.

michael p:
Any recommendations for a nice viewpoint of the crazies surfing those monster waves?
The spot Chris is talking about is on the North side of South Maui, a few miles past Paia. Jaws and Hooikipa (sp?) windsurfing area are good places to check out if you decide to drive over towards Hana. Hooikipa is right on the highway.

Since you are going to be in Lahaina, the closest good spot for surfer watching is the point about a mile past Honolua bay. Probably around MM33. Turn left onto the gravel road just as the road reachs the top and curves hard right. Honolua Bay is far enough up the West Maui coast that it is well exposed to a north swell.

The outer north side of Honolua bay is the only dive spot where I've looked up from 35' and watched waves with surfers riding pass overhead. It was a bad day and Extended Horizons did a couple Maui dive spots instead of braving the crossing to Lanai.

Back
Top Bottom