2 more divers dead on 2nd day of lobster mini-season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robert Phillips:
So how does the Florida Lobster season actually work? Is the public only allowed these two days to hunt or can you do it the entire season?
In California we have a 4 day head start on the commercial lobstermen, but we get to hunt all season long too. Opening night is a big deal, but we don't get .10 of the activity you guys get. Maybe because our season starts in October/November and our water is colder/murkier?
Our bugs are bigger though.:D

Robert:

We let the dogs out the last Wed and Thur of July. Regular (commercial) season starts the beginning of August. Although there are accidents during the regular season, the two day mini season seems to bring out the terminally rusty, inexperienced, and reckless.

Lee and I used to call mini season "St Carapace Day" so we could take a religious holiday off work. Now we pray to the patron saint of wayward divers for thier safe return.

---Bob

Ok this is my darwin question for today, do boat drivers in the usa or jet ski riders not need a license to operate a boat?

Im from Australia and you must have a boat license to operate a boat and a jet ski license to drive a jet ski.

Honestly it sounds like alot of divers who dont dive often, and this is the one time of the year they get out to the water and go crazy. I like lobster like the next person but it kinda sounds like it would be safer to dive inland those couple days of the year. Its sad these incidents happen.

tracy

Loneranger:
Bike week in Daytona killed how many this year 15-18, and they have licenses. Only your training and more so, experience keeps you from becoming a victum.

Sorry i know this is off topic but can the australian ask what bike week is? Is that something to do with the nascar?

tracy

tracy_from_oz:
Ok this is my darwin question for today, do boat drivers in the usa or jet ski riders not need a license to operate a boat?

Im from Australia and you must have a boat license to operate a boat and a jet ski license to drive a jet ski.

Honestly it sounds like alot of divers who dont dive often, and this is the one time of the year they get out to the water and go crazy. I like lobster like the next person but it kinda sounds like it would be safer to dive inland those couple days of the year. Its sad these incidents happen.

tracy
I don't think so. I've never taken either on the ocean, but I think all it takes is a credit card and legal aged ID.

Most of these accidents happen with poor divers & gear, tho - it seems.

tracy_from_oz:

tracy

i have to agree with tracy, and you need a coxswans ticket to use a boat for any commercial purpose... here in australia everything has to be registered and licences held to opporate it, the simple fact of the matter is, that one person might have it registered and hold the appropriate licences but that doesnt stop them from allowing an unlicenced friend or family member do the driving from time to time and this is where all our laws and regulations fall apart, how many recreational boaters out there do you know who really dont obey the laws to the full extent... it happens all the time, everywhere.. it would just be compounded by the extra risks associated with "mini-season"... i have never done any 'bug catching' but then im only new to it all, theres still time yet, so long as some beaurocratic ******* doesnt call it all quits...

ScubaBOBuba:
Robert:

We let the dogs out the last Wed and Thur of July. Regular (commercial) season starts the beginning of August. Although there are accidents during the regular season, the two day mini season seems to bring out the terminally rusty, inexperienced, and reckless.

That's a damn shame. As I said, we get a few every year too. That's why we say the Spiny lobster is the most dangerous animal in the ocean. There is something about those bugs that make people lose their heads.

Lee and I used to call mini season "St Carapace Day" so we could take a religious holiday off work. Now we pray to the patron saint of wayward divers for their safe return.

---Bob

"St. Carapace Day." I love that have to throw that at the boss this year! :eyebrow:

I had to look it up...
carapace \KAIR-uh-pace\, noun:
1. The thick shell that covers the back of the turtle, the crab, and other animals.

Back
Top Bottom