2 more divers dead on 2nd day of lobster mini-season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetDawg:
The calls to put an end to mini-season for recreational divers have been led by commercial lobstermen who blame divers for the steady decline in lobster numbers.

They never mention that diver take less than 1% of all lobster in this state.
I don't know about the rest of the state, but in the Florida Keys some of the crawfish fishermen are their own worst enemies.
Locals can buy shorts, conch meat and Jewfish in "underground" markets.
My opinion, outlaw commercial fishing, including shrimping. Ever hear of "shrimp trash"? You can get that in the keys too. Shrimp trash is composed of juvy fish, soft corals etc that is pulled in the shrimp nets. They sell it for bait.
And I stopped doing mini season years ago. A clown hooked my float line 5 ft from the float with his lower unit. I had looped the line loosely around my wrist, but when he got me the line got tight and I went for a hell of a ride.

Tunnel vision.

tracy_from_oz:
Ok this is my darwin question for today, do boat drivers in the usa or jet ski riders not need a license to operate a boat?
The requirement for a license and the requirements of the license are State issues. In Alabama, for example, you must have a boat license to operate a boat. To get the license you must (in addition to paying the fee) either (1) pass a boater safety course, or (2) be an old fart like me who learned to drive a boat back in the days when boat drivers took it upon themselves to know the rules and didn't hesitate to correct others (usually tourists) who didn't. I don't know that licensing has cut into boating accidents at all but it has enriched the treasury and allowed for the hiring of more water patrol bubbas to harrass boaters.
There are still plenty of idiots on the water... "Hey y'all, watch this! ... Hold my beer."
Determined Darwin candidates are remarkably clever and inventive; they will find a way to die no matter what the rules, laws or oversight.
Rick

We had a boater run out of gas TWICE in one day at Isle Royale. He was upset the Park Service wouldn't answer his calls (he's lucky anyone heard him). I towed him to the Windigo dock and told him to take a boarting coarse before he kills himself. 18 foot Bayliner 20 miles offshore on Lake Superior-what was he thinking?

Rick Murchison:
Determined Darwin candidates are remarkably clever and inventive; they will find a way to die no matter what the rules, laws or oversight.
Rick

How true Rick. I just don't want them taking me with them!

---Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom