2 more divers dead on 2nd day of lobster mini-season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSherman:
If anyone has dove the mini-season and had a foolish mistake, please give someone responsible your gear and go buy a damn lobster in the store. It is probably cheaper anyway!

:lol: Sherman, I wish I had a dollar for every landlubber who said "You get to dive for lobsters?...Wow! A great meal and it doesn't cost you anything!"

---Bob

TSherman:
I am amazed at the skill level of divers from warm water environments sometimes!

Just us dumb folk down here diving with duct tape on our garden hoses down to 120 feet on my Toys R Us 'puter. We warm water folks ain't as smart as yaa all cool divers.

Johnoly:
Just us dumb folk down here diving with duct tape on our garden hoses

holy cow! frigging brilliant

i never thought to use duct tape on my garden hose

dude, you're a genius

Johnoly:
Just us dumb folk down here diving with duct tape on our garden hoses down to 120 feet on my Toys R Us 'puter. We warm water folks ain't as smart as yaa all cool divers.

If you take offense to my statement, then you must know what I am speaking of. If you read into it and think just because I say warm water, I mean half assed diver then too bad!

It says you have 1000+ dives, I am sure you are not who I am referencing. 30' of water attracts all kinds, 130 scares most. 180 is beyond what many more think is safe, unfortunately this is home for me. Congrats on your warm water, I am also happy you think I am cool. Come dive, I am going to the Doria next year, my treat!

ScubaBOBuba:
:lol: Sherman, I wish I had a dollar for every landlubber who said "You get to dive for lobsters?...Wow! A great meal and it doesn't cost you anything!"

---Bob

Its not free? I thought I just kept losing that $120 for 2 dives overboard!

ChrisA:
3) Some are even dumber and will take the BC and tank off so they cn wedge themseves into an even smaller space.

That's bad, but I heard about one guy where I work who takes the cake. Supposedly, he's got a spot with a pretty deep ledge (~150-170ft). In order to save air, he will take a breath at ~120 feet, hold it, and then dive down to the ledge, remove his BC to get under it, grab huge lobsters, and then come back out and go back to 120 feet before releasing it!

I pray that the stories I have heard have been embellished. :shakehead

Which bridge were you diving under, Tom's Harbor Cut, Long Key Bridge, or the Bridge into Duck Key / Hawks' Cay?

IndyScott:
I just came back from duck key and it was a mad house. We were the only ones on the bridge. I went down diving and ran in to others within 20 min's, When I came up there was 4 dive boats within 30 yards of us. No respect from other boaters when we were flying a dive flag with a diver in the water.

I could have been ran over easily if I was not so careful.

IndyScott

GradualAccent:
Which bridge were you diving under, Tom's Harbor Cut, Long Key Bridge, or the Bridge into Duck Key / Hawks' Cay?

the bridge into ducks key.
indyscott

TSherman:
I am shocked that 5 people can die in a season like this! As far as I know no one has died this season here off the coast of NJ. There have been accidents, but no deaths I know of. How do they get to dive if they are out of the water that long? Even the carribean resorts require a skill refresher if you are out 6 months.

Allow me to clear this up for you....

If you own a boat and some tanks and some gear and have a c-card (or one of your group has a c-card) for air fills, there is nothing in the world to stop you from diving. Heck, there's nothing to stop you from buying a case of Budweiser and getting your tanks filled at the same time.

Rachel

P.S. They found the 5th diver and he also still had air in his tanks. The analysis came back on the air and so far it seems fine. Very odd couple of deaths. The area they were diving is extremely shallow although there can be some current associated with tide changes.

Back
Top Bottom