2 more divers dead on 2nd day of lobster mini-season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes

And where was this "talk" about stopping mini-season? like actually talk among law makers, or just a few guys having beers talking about ending mini-season?

If they really cared about protecting people from injury in Florida... How about outlawing cell phones while people are driving (boats or cars) - how about making people get a boating license? - so they actually learn that dive flags are not slalom poles?

There are so many ways to protect people from getting killed. Ending mini-season surely isn't the answer to that.

howarde:
And where was this "talk" about stopping mini-season? like actually talk among law makers, or just a few guys having beers talking about ending mini-season?

If they really cared about protecting people from injury in Florida... How about outlawing cell phones while people are driving (boats or cars) - how about making people get a boating license? - so they actually learn that dive flags are not slalom poles?

There are so many ways to protect people from getting killed. Ending mini-season surely isn't the answer to that.

No, a couple of articles in the local papers and comments from some officials

deeper thoughts:
No, a couple of articles in the local papers and comments from some officials
What part of FL are you in? I didn't hear anything like that in FLL.

Howarde is absolutely right. For years I have been arguing for Boaters to be required to have a license as well as for programs to raise dive flag awareness. Every boat ramp and marina in Florida should have posters informing boaters of the regulations regarding dive flags. Mini season makes things worse because divers seem to think it is o.k. to drop in on other divers. I always free dive on mini season making me more of a target and a year doesn't go by when some idiot doesn't get his boat within ten feet of me thinking it is o.k. because he is diving too. It's a big ocean folks, if someone beats you to your spot move on to another, dive flag regulations apply to ALL boaters.

howarde:
What part of FL are you in? I didn't hear anything like that in FLL.

Islamorada

This happens every year out there doesn't it? Usually poorly trained and/or equipted divers...?

Basiclly the mini season sounds a lot like Deer season in the midwest, every year there are idiots who sit behind a desk all year, gain wieght, never exercise, then on the opening of deer season they are out there walking miles and miles with a gun, and the excitment of hunting and amazingly a few die of heartattacks every year. Same kind of thing it seems to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom