2 more divers dead on 2nd day of lobster mini-season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are there actual number for the amount of people who dived and/or freedived for lobster on wed and thursday? I know that the charter we went with even had 5 people from out of state on board (all licensed of course) - since the FWC met the boat at the dock and measured everyone's catch.

But if ever at any other time during the year - there is a 2 day span with the highest diver numbers actually in the water around the state of Florida, I can't think of what it is other then mini-season.

Just by the sheer number of people in the water either freediving or on SCUBA, the rules of "percent chance of incident" must become a factor here.

Let us not forget that many of the deaths caused during mini season are from boats hitting people, and not actually becuase of bad divers.

Let me also say for the record, that the only thing I take from the ocean is pictures. I don't hunt, or take lobsters. Nor do I eat those nasty bugs. But my wife lobsters, and she likes to eat them too.

Don't count a missing diver dead until found. ab out 5 or 6 years ago there was a diver reported missing in the keys. The search went on. It was the insurance investigator that found him, at his girlfriends in IL.,.. who was to receive the benifits os a new large insurance policy, oh...he ws divorced a month earlier and was looking at child support

Passed up the chance to go this year when all it would have cost me is gas from Ga. and back. I really don't know why mini season is like it is , it reminds me of new years eve when the only people on the road are drunk but don't normally drink.
My prayers go out to the lost divers and their families

Doc Intrepid:
Oh yeah, this is an annual horrorshow.

In fact, its predictability is part of what the grumbling from lawmakers is all about...
And I guess they'll screw it up and make it harder on all of us...?

Don't count a missing diver dead until found. ab out 5 or 6 years ago there was a diver reported missing in the keys. The search went on. It was the insurance investigator that found him, at his girlfriends in IL.,.. who was to receive the benifits os a new large insurance policy, oh...he ws divorced a month earlier and was looking at child support
Kinda dumb to stay at her house.

My fav is the couple who left boat unattended to dive for bugs, came back to find boat gone. Coast Guard found the boat, then them, but too longer because they hadn't dropped their weights or the bugs!

Blacthorn:
Basiclly the mini season sounds a lot like Deer season in the midwest, every year there are idiots who sit behind a desk all year, gain wieght, never exercise, then on the opening of deer season they are out there walking miles and miles with a gun, and the excitment of hunting and amazingly a few die of heartattacks every year. Same kind of thing it seems to me.
Bingo. Rather Darwinian, actually...

Bike week in Daytona killed how many this year 15-18, and they have licenses. Only your training and more so, experience keeps you from becoming a victum.

deeper thoughts:
No, a couple of articles in the local papers and comments from some officials

30,000 visitors to just the Keys dropping over 8 million dollars over 5 days. Yep, look for mini-season to be canceled next year.

Along with Fantasy Fest, Christmas week, fourth of July and New Years.

So how does the Florida Lobster season actually work? Is the public only allowed these two days to hunt or can you do it the entire season?
In California we have a 4 day head start on the commercial lobstermen, but we get to hunt all season long too. Opening night is a big deal, but we don't get .10 of the activity you guys get. Maybe because our season starts in October/November and our water is colder/murkier?
Our bugs are bigger though.:D

Johnoly:
30,000 visitors to just the Keys dropping over 8 million dollars over 5 days. Yep, look for mini-season to be canceled next year.

Along with Fantasy Fest, Christmas week, fourth of July and New Years.
Who knows who really knows?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom