1st trip to Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thailand is awsome, no visa required, travel is easy. You can fly Bangkok to Phuket, or take a train or bus. Traditional thinking is that the Similans and Indian Ocean side is best during winter. Summer is Gulf of Thailand, Koh Tao. I did a liveaboard to Similans July 2007 on the Colona IV, we were the only dive boat out there, I had no idea that the park closes during summer? The Colona was the best value I have ever seen in Liveaboard diving. Private cabin with bath 4 days diving 4 nights on board for US$576. Koh Tao is a fun backpacker place with beautifull coral and way inexpensive. What Thom in Bangkok is a must see as well, have a great trip.

Thanks T! Actually, the Colona IV is my 3rd choice. I've been looking at the different 4/4 boats for a couple weeks now. The ones that stick out in my research seem to be the Colona IV, the Queen Scuba, and the Black Manta. You're the first "First hand" person I've talked to yet. I appreciate the help and any input.

I already put you on my list Kat :wink: I was curious though, I looked at your site and didn't see any pricing for either diving or snorkeling? Did I miss it? As far as the longtails, again Im new too the region, they would seem to be a way to just get away and find something quiet and semi-private to enjoy....yes? No? Pipedream?? LOL

Greg

Sorry about the prices, it should be fixed now. There is a link on the home page that takes you to a pdf file to download with all the service prices. Make a package and we'll put some discount in.

You can pay more for longtail diving here than off one of my regular boats. Although most dive centres here pack divers onto a longtail just to save money. From next week I shall have two boats running day trips, similar size, Enterprise 1 and Sanuk 2, both take 8 divers with 2 guides (as many as a longtail). Any problems PM me and I'll send you everything:D

Hi all,
I am also heading to Thailand for the first time at the end of October. I am spending 4 nights in Koh Samui, 7 nights in Patong and 3 nights in Bangkok. I am heading over with a friend who isn't too keen on snorkelling or diving but I want to get out diving for at least a couple of days in both Koh Samui and Patong. I am hoping to get to Koh Tao as I have heard great things and also out to Phi Phi. Can anyone recommend operators in either location or what sites are/aren't worth while?

Appreciate the help!

Shepp.

Hey Sideways, your idea of hiring a longtail to take the GF out snorkeling sounds way romantic and doable. As far as a liveaboard she might get bored, but 4 days might be ok. We did take beach breaks every day, and the food on the Colona was excellent Thai food. My only experiance was diving Similans, I did not do any inshore dives so I dont know about that.
I heard good things about both Krabi and the Phi Phis as far as nice places to stay. If I had 3 weeks I would consider Koa Tao as well. Actually if I had three weeks I would be in Cambodia and Laos but not for diving. You can dive Cambodia that would be something totally different. Soth East Asia is the best.

Hey Sideways, your idea of hiring a longtail to take the GF out snorkeling sounds way romantic and doable. As far as a liveaboard she might get bored, but 4 days might be ok. We did take beach breaks every day, and the food on the Colona was excellent Thai food. My only experiance was diving Similans, I did not do any inshore dives so I dont know about that.
I heard good things about both Krabi and the Phi Phis as far as nice places to stay. If I had 3 weeks I would consider Koa Tao as well. Actually if I had three weeks I would be in Cambodia and Laos but not for diving. You can dive Cambodia that would be something totally different. Soth East Asia is the best.

I was actually thinking of divy'ing up the 3 weeks between Thailand and the Philippines, then decided to just hit PI in 2011 :D. Yeah... my GF is the best, she'll be staying in Patong while Im on the LOB for 4 days :D She'd rather lay on the beach and shop :rofl3: But yeah, I was thinking the longtails for day trips for us snorkeling in both Krabi and the few days I'm in Patong with her. I will research Kao Tao some too, isn't that north on the west coast above Phuket?

I will research Kao Tao some too, isn't that north on the west coast above Phuket?

Khao Lak is a small beach resort just North of Phuket on the West Coast.
Koh Tao is a small island in the Gulf of Thailand on the East Coast.

Hi all,
I am also heading to Thailand for the first time at the end of October. I am spending 4 nights in Koh Samui, 7 nights in Patong and 3 nights in Bangkok. I am heading over with a friend who isn't too keen on snorkelling or diving but I want to get out diving for at least a couple of days in both Koh Samui and Patong. I am hoping to get to Koh Tao as I have heard great things and also out to Phi Phi. Can anyone recommend operators in either location or what sites are/aren't worth while?....

Phuket daytrip divesites not to be missed:
Sharkpoint (aka "Hin Musang") 3-dive daytrip
Bida Islands off Phi-Phi, 2 dive daytrip

Operators in Patong: There are too many to list them all. Dive Asia, Seabees, Westcoast Divers, Bubble Dive, Scuba Cat, Santana, South Siam Divers, Scuba Cat etc-etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom