1st trip to Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishstix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm planning a trip to Thailand and want to do my first live-aboard diving. I'm interested in seeing Bangkok and then diving the Similans. How does one arrange local transportation from Bangkok to a dive center that goes to the Similan islands?

Can anyone recommend an outfit that they had a great experience with?

My particular issues are: I'll need to rent most of my equipment (tank, regulator, BC) and I'm traveling alone so I don't have a dive-buddy. I'm also planning to shoot some UW video for the first time in open water.

What time of year are you planning on visiting? That has big impact on where to dive. For the Similans, flying from BKK to Phuket is what most do. Renting equipment is not an issue. consider renting or buying a dive computer as the depths and duration of dives in the Similans can be quite aggressive. I find it less expensive to order from scubatoys or leisurepro than buying in Thailand.

Regardless of where you dive, consider completing your AOW prior to or while in Thailand.

I agree with Arizona, but offer a second suggestion as well. I've done liveaboards from Khao Lak (small town north of Phuket on the coast). The town is nothing to speak of, but hosts of companies leave to do 3 to 5 day trips and because it's a little further north, the schedule (sometimes) allows for more diving/less travel time on the boat. Of course, you have to get to Khao Lak, and that means taking a minivan or bus, so if you want to stick purely to air travel then Phuket is your spot.

Two suggestions (both boats I have used before)

Phuket: the Scuba Explorer Scuba Explorer, Diving Liveaboard Holiday - Phuket, Thailand It is owned by a shop that operates on Koh Tao and Samui (Samui Diving Services) as well as a shop on Phuket (Kata). Great staff.

Khao Lak: Khao Lak Scuba Adventures- http://www.khaolakscubaadventures.com/ The Manta Queen I and II. Lovely boat and the old manager (Jet) was top notch. Not sure is he's still there.

Now there are plenty of other options out there, but I can say first hand I've enjoyed my time on both of these boats.

The main thing Arizona points out is when you are planning on coming. Seasons in the north Andaman sea are a huge factor.

Have a great trip

I have nothing to say here.... for some reason my post doubled so I'm typing this because I don't know how to delete a post, I only know how to edit it.

So i have nothing
useful
to
say

At least you didn't point out that I RARELY have something useful to say...
I left myself wide open on that one
:wink:

Similans open at beginning of October this year. I have customers looking to go on the 6th October.

Difficult to tell what the weather & conditions will be like at this time. If we're lucky and its pleasant then should be excellent start of season diving. Can't wait.

Well you better tell that to all liveaboard operators who are running in October then.

Similarly Surin National Park is supposed to open mid November but my local "friends" have assured me that it will be opne on the 1st November.

Well you better tell that to all liveaboard operators who are running in October then.

I think they know already; it's been like this for years.

Still, one may wonder if a "soft" opening of the Park in October as has been "allowed" in the past and likely will be "allowed" this year as well is a wise thing to do. October is the month that the monsoon changes ;weather can be very unpredictable and seas can be very rough. Imo too many dive boats have been in trouble at sea the last few years and some even sunk with loss of live.
Lack of appropriate safety standards/equipment on several dive boats and sometimes just plainly poor design have resulted in boats sinking within minutes and crew and passengers floating for hours on end in the water before being rescued.

Personally, I do not wish for anyone to have to go through an experience like that....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom