1st trip to Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travel is pretty easy in Thailand find a travel agent pay the money and they just seem to get you there. Bus ride to Khao Lak can be long but certainly scenic. Sea Dragon in Khao Lak was very good to us 5 years ago. They have been around for quite a while.

I'm planning a trip to Thailand and want to do my first live-aboard diving. I'm interested in seeing Bangkok and then diving the Similans. How does one arrange local transportation from Bangkok to a dive center that goes to the Similan islands?

Can anyone recommend an outfit that they had a great experience with?

My particular issues are: I'll need to rent most of my equipment (tank, regulator, BC) and I'm traveling alone so I don't have a dive-buddy. I'm also planning to shoot some UW video for the first time in open water.

I think they know already; it's been like this for years.

Still, one may wonder if a "soft" opening of the Park in October as has been "allowed" in the past and likely will be "allowed" this year as well is a wise thing to do. October is the month that the monsoon changes ;weather can be very unpredictable and seas can be very rough. Imo too many dive boats have been in trouble at sea the last few years and some even sunk with loss of live.
Lack of appropriate safety standards/equipment on several dive boats and sometimes just plainly poor design have resulted in boats sinking within minutes and crew and passengers floating for hours on end in the water before being rescued.

Personally, I do not wish for anyone to have to go through an experience like that....
That is putting the problem in the wrong place (just as the national park has done by closing the park between May and October).

That is putting the problem in the wrong place (just as the national park has done by closing the park between May and October).

Yes, you are probably right.

It would be better if tour-boats would only then get permits to get out to sea if they would have a valid internationally recognized marine safety certificate like IMO.
Seaworthy, safe and properly certified vessels could easily operate most of the year and wouldn't be so much restricted by foul weather.
Having the marine parks open year round would help to keep poachers at bay too I think.

Still, I doubt if things will change any time soon. It's still very (read: way too) easy to get out to sea in a tub and just to go where one wants to go and do what one wants to do.

I'm booked for nov 11th. Just my dive shop staff diving together and only 8000 B for 14 dives....
SWEEEEET
no muppets, no customers, no guides. Can't wait.

Travel is pretty easy in Thailand find a travel agent pay the money and they just seem to get you there. Bus ride to Khao Lak can be long but certainly scenic. Sea Dragon in Khao Lak was very good to us 5 years ago. They have been around for quite a while.

Yes travel is very easy in Thailand, you can even turn up at the bus station and book it yourself, its really quite easy, cut out the agent and save yourself some money.

Good thread OP.:D

Im also planning my first trip to Thailand in March. Going to do a week in Patong/Karon, a week in Krabi area, and a week on Phi Phi. I've researched Liveaboards a bit and so far I'm leaning towards the Queen Scuba, 4/4 trip too the Similans. Anyone have any experience with this operator? Or any other advice from personal experience would be most welcome. :cool2:

Here are a couple seemingly stoopid questions ...hehehe

1. Do you need a visa in Thailand if you have a US passport? I've read yes and no on this...hence the question.

2. Im taking my GF, she's new to snorkeling. So!! anyone have a good shop out of Patong, Krabi, or Phi Phi for snorkeling. Mind you... I don't want to be on a cattle boat...LOL

I understand you MIGHT not be able to avoid that on a speed boat day trip to the Similans. But for Krabi... is it better to just research the best spots and get a longtail?

Thanks guys and gals!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom