1st timer to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the traditional Mexican Rellenos soft (egg batter), or crispy (American/Wonton wrapper), or do they do both like up here?

In Mexico I've only had the traditional light egg batter that is then usually smothered with a thin salsa (red or green / rojo o verde).

You should add Benito's to the list of good Italian restaurants.

Best pizza on the island in my opinion and very reasonably priced for the quality one gets. It's the only pizza I've had in Mexico that rivals good brick oven state-side pizza. It's made it to our must-eat list every year since you and Steve introduced us to it. Catch you there in December again.

Don't forget Los Otates that another mentioned here as well... It is also just a few blocks back and north. Good food cheap. Because you can order tacos and such by the piece instead of as a meal it is like a taco tappas bar in Cozumel that lets you try lots of different things. The Pazole is great. Don't be afraid of the chopped tongue taco - I loved it. Steer clear of the cheek meat taco though - Yuck.

nvpNzO1i3Cv8J2ehyPL9OkTss63fSB2s-r3AULyeC1FNFsTlccUrpleNV4BWFMn9cg1PlgpIMXh34ntUufk=w621-h828-no.jpg

Don't forget Los Otates that another mentioned here as well... It is also just a few blocks back and north. Good food cheap. Because you can order tacos and such by the piece instead of as a meal it is like a taco tappas bar in Cozumel that lets you try lots of different things. The Pazole is great. Don't be afraid of the chopped tongue taco - I loved it. Steer clear of the cheek meat taco though - Yuck.

Do they also serve ojos y sesos? I'd heard that cheek meat was supposed to be one of the best choices for head tacos.

It sounds like a good taco place so we'll have to try it :)

Do they also serve ojos y sesos? I'd heard that cheek meat was supposed to be one of the best choices for head tacos. It sounds like a good taco place so we'll have to try it

I didn't try the eyes and brains tacos Los Otates offers... Those were too freaky for me to try all at once or in one vaca. I'll try those one at a time and maybe one per vaca. I too heard that cheek was a tasty meat so I tried it but I didn't like it... It pretty much tasted like "fatty, tough & wild barn yard". The chopped tongue taco is the one I will order again as it was fabulous, very tender and delicious to my gringo palate. Maybe I'll try an eyes taco this year and a brain taco in 2019. Got to leave something to look forward to right?

Having a hard time loading video. Here is a pic from video of one feeding vertically. There are a lot of eggs floating around reducing visibility.

Attachments

• Feeding.jpg
    Feeding.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 103
I didn't try the eyes and brains tacos Los Otates offers... Those were too freaky for me to try all at once or in one vaca. I'll try those one at a time and maybe one per vaca. I too heard that cheek was a tasty meat so I tried it but I didn't like it... It pretty much tasted like "fatty, tough & wild barn yard". The chopped tongue taco is the one I will order again as it was fabulous, very tender and delicious to my gringo palate. Maybe I'll try an eyes taco this year and a brain taco in 2019. Got to leave something to look forward to right?

Although I try to avoid eating eyes and brains it's quite possible that I have and enjoyed it. After a recent trip to Puerto Vallarta we were standing by a taco stand and the locals were behaving as though the tacos were the best thing they'd ever eaten. At the time I did not know the word for brains in Spanish so we decided to wait until we were better educated :wink: Just a little more Spanish and I think I'll be prepared to eat anywhere.

For this particular conversation I think "vaca" might not be the best choice of words considering it is the Spanish word for cow. :wink:

Have you tried El Sitio? I've heard it's a good taco place too and is on my list of places to eat.

I would definitely recomend doing the whale shark trip. Did it today and there were tons of them, even saw manta rays. Will try to post some video tonght.
Awesome, which outfit? How much was it? Are you staying on Mujeres?

Awesome, which outfit? How much was it? Are you staying on Mujeres?
I am staying in Playa. I went through a dive shop here and used Eco Adventure Tours. It was $179 and that included van transportation to and from. The boat left from the harbour in Cancun. They were very good. There were 50+ boats out there at the same time.
The regulations require you to either wear a wetsuit or a life jacket. I highly recommend taking your own wetsuit. Sometimes you need to swim fast to keep up with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom