1st timer to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghosty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Will be spending 5 days in Coz and 3 days on Isla Mujeres (for the Whale Shark snorkeling). Most importantly, SHOULD I SKIP ISLA MUJERES, and just spend the entire 10 days on Coz? Then for the last two days do a Mujeres Whale Shark snorkel trip right out of Coz, before flying home?

Have spent days on TripAdvisor, Travelocity reviews, etc. Some quick questions for now. I'm probably staying closer to the main town just to be close to shops/food. Not renting a car. Have been diving in Belize ("official English" country), but never been to Mexico at all and don't speak ANY Spanish.

Blue Angel, El Cid La Ceiba, Grand Park Royal, Casa Mexicana, anyone stay at these? Mi Casa en Cozumel on the cheap end. Other favorite hotels in the $80 to $120 max range? I'm solo this trip and don't drink/party, so an all-inclusive is probably a waste.

I see Dive Paradise has a package with the big Hotel Cozumel Resort. 4 nights and 9 dives for $800. Scuba Club Cozumel has a package too, under $600. But I hate getting stuck with one Dive Op. What if I don't like them after the first day? One review in particular had me concerned that they are a kinda "mass production" operation:

https://goo.gl/maps/yebcsyCmYDo

I see a lot of members diving with Blue XTSea (5 stars) and Tres Pelicanos, that's where I'm leaning, but I'm still reading on the other outfits. I've read Christi's FAQ here, and the three other "Coz 1st Timer" threads. About to read LimitedSlip7's huge April trip report. Are there any highly recommended dive sites specifically with the best chances of seeing Sharks, big wildlife, Pelagics, etc.? Or that's all really just random luck?...

I'm PADI Adv.-OW and have all my own gear except weights. Most of my 40+ dives are off Key Largo, Pompano Beach, and Belize. Reading the many Coz "Favorite/Top-10" dive site webpages now...

Last edited:
Lol...every question can be found using the search engine....I would peruse around then ask specifics...

IF your concerned over any one DS, pick two or three and try them each.

I'm not getting the new math. 5 days on Coz and 3 days on Isla Mujeres, or the entire 10 days on Coz. So how does skipping 3 days in one place get you 5 days in another place?

Anyways, the question is where are you flying in and out from? If Cancun, I'd probably move to IM for last 2 nights and do whale shark snorkel last full day. Snorkeling won't incur a deco obligation and gives you another 24 hours off before flying. Doing that also saves a lot of travel back and forth if flying out of CUN. But if flying out of Coz, I'd stay on Coz and do it as a day trip. One day of it per trip is probably enough as it will be a very long and tiring day.

You won't have any difficulty with communication. English is near-universal on Cozumel.

Can't really comment on the hotels you've listed, since we've never stayed at any of them. We generally stay at the Sabor on the cheap and either Secrets or the Cozumel Palace the rest of the time.

We dive with Aldora. The pampering is nice, as are the big tanks and small boats.

I want to steer you toward one particular dive op, but I'll resist. Before my last trip, I did a cost comparison of 14 different dive ops and then went with one. It happened to be the cheapest (for me) and I couldn't have been "pampered" more. I paid for larger tanks and got about an hour or more on every dive. I almost his 90 minutes on one, but it doesn't really count. And even on that one I surfaced because I had a leg cramp from Hell. The group was fun to dive with and the right price. Aldora has the HP120's and I've never dived with them. Everyone has their own cup of tea.
As for lodging, most of the dive ops can work up a lodging/diving package. I don't do lodging but I know of many people who use Tres Pelicanos for their packages and are very happy with what Jeanie has done for them on each end of the price scale. (I guess I did recommend a dive op - so shoot me) :)

Good luck. Whatever/whoever you chose, you'll love Cozumel. Do the 10 days there.

Cheers -

I’m just finishing up a 10-day trip, mostly to Cozumel, and a couple of nights in Cancun to do the whale shark snorkeling and fly out of Cancun. I normally fly into Cozumel, but got a particularly good deal through Cancun this time. If you are only going to Isla Mujeres as a jumping-off point for the whale shark tour, you might want to think about staying in Cancun instead. Boats leave from both Cancun and Isla Mujeres. There are no whale shark tours from Cozumel. Some people in Cozumel will book a tour for you, but you will have to take the ferry to Playa Del Carmen and get up to Cancun. I would say it was worthwhile, but only because I was already coming to Cancun to fly home. I would not do this as a day trip from Cozumel. That’s too early and too hectic for my tastes. We saw several whale sharks and a few mantas. You did not say when you are going. Whale shark season only lasts for about another month, so if you are not going in the next few weeks, it’s not really an option.

In Cozumel, I can recommend Aldora Divers and the Villa Aldora. The Villa has rooms that are great for one person in your price range. It’s a mile north of the plaza.

Let me know if you want any more details on any of this.

First, I would not skip the Whale Shark snorkeling trip. It is a once in a lifetime experience, well worth it. BUT, be prepared - this is NOT your typical snorkel trip, just floating and watching; you’ll be really exerting yourself, and the visability is not what you’ll see on Cozumel - the water is cloudy with small critters, which is, after all, precisely WHY the Whale Sharks are congregating there - to eat all those small critters. Second, you really can’t do the Whale Shark trip off of Cozumel, or at least not without making a very long, tiring day out of it. If you are flying into Cancun, I would plan on two days on Isla Mujeres, EITHER at the beginning or end of the trip (end of the trip makes more sense, as it makes for an easier trip back to the Cancun Airport for departure), with the rest of your time on Cozumel.

There are a lot of us here on the Coz forum who will NOT do All-Inclusive on Cozumel. Cozumel has a real wealth of very good restaurants, in all budget categories, and personally I have more favorites than I can hit in one 7-day trip. There are reasons why one might do AI on Coz - young kids, want to drink enough at the AI bar to make it worthwhile, just want to relax and not too concerned about quality and variety of food. But you will miss out on a big draw for Cozumel if you don’t explore some of the local eateries.

As to where to stay, it is a trade off in Cozumel -stay downtown and be close to most of the restaurants - favorites for staying downtown are Casa Mexicana, Suites Bahia, Hotel Plaza Cozumel; OR stay outside of downtown and get more of a resort experience, but longer walks or a taxi ride to the restaurants. Closest to downtown is Hotel Cozumel, still not a bad walk to downtown. Further away, check out Blue Angel, Casa Del Mar, La Cieba/El Cid.

You do NOT have to dive with the house shop just because you are staying at a hotel (with the exception of Scuba Club Cozumel- I THINK that one is a package deal). So shop around for the operator that best suits your experience level and desires. Lots of excellent Dive Ops to choose from.

I'm not getting the new math. 5 days on Coz and 3 days on Isla Mujeres, or the entire 10 days on Coz. So how does skipping 3 days in one place get you 5 days in another place?
My bad on the math. I'm doing Sunday to Tuesday, flying in/out of Cancun, so I right away took the flying days completely out. They're good for going out to eat, shopping, and beach at most. I was thinking of flying MAYAir to Coz, diving there Mon. to Thu. (with an easy/shallow Thu.), MAYAir back to Cancun Fri., ferry to Mujeres, then dive/snorkel I.M. (incl. at least one Whale Shark day) Sat. to Mon., incl. a beach/snorkel/decomp Monday. Then Tue. ferry to Cancun, and fly home.

Sounds like doing the entire trip in Coz is out, IF I definitely want to do Whale Sharks, which I do. I did Gladden Spit off Belize this Spring, $300 gamble and lost, zero sightings. The two prior days they'd seen them, and I even went at the PRIME time, 5 days after a full moon early May, high season. Just bad luck. :( But I also got almost 10 dives in, most of which were awesome.

You won't have any difficulty with communication. English is near-universal on Cozumel. We dive with Aldora. The pampering is nice, as are the big tanks and small boats.
Good to know, assumed that pretty much. Was spoiled in Belize where English is the official language, seemed even moreso than Spanish, heh. I'll add Aldora to my list of possibles.

As for lodging, most of the dive ops can work up a lodging/diving package. I don't do lodging but I know of many people who use Tres Pelicanos for their packages and are very happy with what Jeanie has done for them on each end of the price scale. (I guess I did recommend a dive op - so shoot me) :)-
Tres Pelicanos and Aldora are on my list, along with Blue XTSea.

I’m just finishing up a 10-day trip, mostly to Cozumel, and a couple of nights in Cancun to do the whale shark snorkeling and fly out of Cancun. I normally fly into Cozumel, but got a particularly good deal through Cancun this time. If you are only going to Isla Mujeres as a jumping-off point for the whale shark tour, you might want to think about staying in Cancun instead. Boats leave from both Cancun and Isla Mujeres. There are no whale shark tours from Cozumel.
Very cool, and sounds similar to what I'm planning. Except I'm getting a hotel in I.M. for the last few days, I might do two WhaleShark trips, or one dive trip and one W.S. trip. Thanks for the heads up about not attempting W.S. from Cozumel. I'll probably be booking all this stuff in the next few days.

I also got an insane deal in/out Cancun. $240 r/t from Denver!! On Frontier, I was freaking out. Gotta LOVE Google flight matrix!

First, I would not skip the Whale Shark snorkeling trip. It is a once in a lifetime experience, well worth it. BUT, be prepared - this is NOT your typical snorkel trip, just floating and watching; you’ll be really exerting yourself, and the visability is not what you’ll see on Cozumel - the water is cloudy with small critters, which is, after all, precisely WHY the Whale Sharks are congregating there - to eat all those small critters.
Awesome tips, you listed a lot of hotels that were already on my list. Definitely not doing A.I. Probably spending 3 days on Mujeres. I've read about the crazyness of the W.S. trips when weather's rough. Especially families having bad times when it's high seas, no bueno. I'm up for anything, but hopefully have better luck than I did on Gladden Spit!

Here is my experience with hotels in Coz. Keep in mind there is a 19% tax on rates.
Hotel Cozumel- Very nice pool and has water access. You can do shore dives from there for $8.00 a tank through Dive Paradise. A little far south of town but not too bad of a walk. Non AI rates include a decent breakfast. You should be able to get non AI for around $80. TP's will pick you up on the way to the marina on the street at around 7:45 AM , Aldora at the dock around 7:40.
Casa Mexicana- I have only stayed in the inside rooms, around $70. Nice clean comfortable, mini fridge in room, kind of reminds me of a decent Laquinta Hotel as far as quality. Nice breakfast buffet included. The do have a very small pool but I have never used it.
Suite Bahia I have stayed here more times than any other place. There are 4 different types of rooms, I have stayed in 3 of them. Ocean view-( around $70) the Southern corner room are small but you get two balconies, one facing the water and one facing South. You get a mini fridge as well. Balcony ( around $50) - faces south, get to here the local bar but you get a bigger room and a place to dry all you gear. Standard room ( around $40) You have a window facing a wall from a building next door that you can reach out an touch, no direct sun light. Good thing is that is very quite. Full size fridge and microwave . All rooms include the breakfast at Casa Mexicana
Suites Colonial -I don't have experience here but it is owned by the same owners of Bahia and Mexicana, same breakfast buffet.
Hotel Plaza Cozumel- (Around $50) A block North of the ferry pier. Clean, might be a little loud if you get a room facing Wet Wendy's. They have a pool on the roof that is pretty neat, decent breakfast included.
Aldora Villas- You have to dive with then to stay here. I stayed in the cheapest room $95, Right on the water, small pool, tanks on site for shore dives included. Room had coffee maker and microwave. The water is a gorgeous color of blue just steps from your room. It is a little North of town. I was by myself when I stayed there so felt a little isolated.
There are more "budget" hotels I have not had the opportunity to try yet, but I will eventually. It is one of the things that makes Cozumel a great destination.

I haven't done the wale shark tour yet but before I was certified I spent a few days on Isa Mujerers. I stayed at Hotel Kinish. It is not on the water but a small hotel that was clean, economical, and an easy walk to anywhere you would need to go.

Back
Top Bottom