1st stage regulator question???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I'm new to the DIR section of the board but very thankful that everytime I have posted I have gotten back great answers to my burning questions, thanks.

So here I go with another question:

I'm diving the Legend LX supreme DIN version, I dive Worthington 100 HP steels singles.

I have a set of PST 80's HP that I would like to convert to doubles. I'm in the position to purchase a second regulator instead of purchasing a octopus.

I was going to purchase the Legend Octo but instead found a great deal on the Apeks XTX 200 DIN version.

With both regs at my home, I'm confused as to which 1st stage I will use on my setup? Do I use the Apeks 1st stage or the Legend LX supreme?

In other words, I understand that as doubles each tank gets a 1st stage, preferably same regs. But in my case one Apeks and one Legend when I do doubles.

But since I have just one tank, would divers choose the Apeks 1st stage, unscrew the Legend second stage, attach that to the Apeks as the Octupus line or would you do the opposite and use the Legend 1st stage.

I really appreciate your feedback,

Thanks,

MG

Dbl HP 80's - Pass on these... hard to trim out... Can you? Maybe... probably... but with all the other things you have to consider (Tank factors, HP fills ect) the easier path if to sell these and get LP 85's or HP 100's these are the most popular tanks in our area... Easy to trim out, dive and fill

Regs - Just use what you got... if you want to get new regs get MK25's or DS4's... 90% of the local DIR crowd use these... This will also simplify the discussion when it comes to routing and which ports to use...

The reality of it is that most of your gear is going to have to be replaced....

(And you know and you know you have to sell your elevator lever BC right? :wink:)

Shoot me a PM if you want to chat on the phone...

Well to start I would sell the HP80's and get some Al80's.

Then I would probably use the Apeks first, sell the Aqualung and get another Apeks.

But it doesn't really matter. Flip a coin to pick one, they will both be fine.

ditto on the tanks; unless you are short and in the minority, the HP80s will be tough to trim out.

Either should work. Another option is to get another XTX reg; then you can have a doubles and singles rig without having to interchange all the time.

Guys,

I haven't purchased the XTX 200 yet but I cannot sell the Legend since it's already been dove. If I'm understanding you guys correctly, I should own two identical regs; hence two Legends or two Apeks?

Not one of each correct?

However, considering my question on singles, I will not be doing doubles any time soon. But I don't want to purchase an Octopus for my single setup.

Should I get another Legend LX supreme or can I mix it with the Apeks XTX on my current setup for singles only.

Thanks,

P.S
I don't own the BC i3 no more I sold it and got cash that is why I can purchase another reg.

If you want to dive doubles and singles, you're going to be doing a lot of one thing: spending money.

If you want really simple, get the Apeks Tek3 kit and a Legend 2nd stage+hose. Then you can keep the Legend for singles diving and you can have a doubles setup (Tek3 kit comes with two 1st stages and two 2nd stages plus all hoses) and a singles setup.

Should I get another Legend LX supreme or can I mix it with the Apeks XTX on my current setup for singles only.
If you already have an XTX, I'd get a second Apeks and use the Legend for single tank diving.

But since I have just one tank, would divers choose the Apeks 1st stage, unscrew the Legend second stage, attach that to the Apeks as the Octupus line or would you do the opposite and use the Legend 1st stage.

Hi Mike,

For now, if you're going to collect and use things piecemeal until you have enough to set up the doubles, I'm going to just say go with the Apeks 1st and second stages, and use your legend secondary regulator as the octopus. You shouldn't have any problem unscrewing the Legend from its first stage and replacing one of the plugs in the ATX200.

I agree with the rest of the advice given here - eventually, get another ATX 200 for matched regulators on doubles and then recombine the Legend reg and keep that for singles diving.

You could have non-matching regs on your doubles setup if that's all you have, but it complicates things and I can't recall seeing anyone doing that.

PM me if you want to chat as well!

Hi,

I'm new to the DIR section of the board but very thankful that everytime I have posted I have gotten back great answers to my burning questions, thanks.

So here I go with another question:

I'm diving the Legend LX supreme DIN version, I dive Worthington 100 HP steels singles.

I have a set of PST 80's HP that I would like to convert to doubles. I'm in the position to purchase a second regulator instead of purchasing a octopus.

I was going to purchase the Legend Octo but instead found a great deal on the Apeks XTX 200 DIN version.

With both regs at my home, I'm confused as to which 1st stage I will use on my setup? Do I use the Apeks 1st stage or the Legend LX supreme?

In other words, I understand that as doubles each tank gets a 1st stage, preferably same regs. But in my case one Apeks and one Legend when I do doubles.

I really appreciate your feedback,

Thanks,

MG

It is not clear what you have for regs at home. From what I can tell, you have a Legend LX. Do you have one or two second stages? Also, do you have any other first stages other than the Legend LX?

Ditto the HP80s. Those things are really short and are going to be a pain in the arse to trim out in doubles. Faber LP-85s and PST HP100s seem to be the most common tanks for doubles in the Mocal DIR community.

I can't believe how many people have you selling everything and starting from scratch!

First off, your first stages on your doubles setup DO NOT have to be the same brand/model. There's even something to be said for having different regs, but I won't get into it. My advice is to just use the regs you have. Put one reg on one post, and the other on the other. If one of your regs is adjustable, I would suggest using that one as the backup so you can detune it when it's not in your mouth, but other than that, just dive and enjoy.

As to the question with singles, you can use either second stage as your backup/octo. It probably doesn't matter which. The only problem I can possibly see is if one first stage is putting out a higher IP than the other. This might cause one of your regs to freeflow when put on the first stage with the higher IP, but I doubt you will even see this.

If you swap between singles and doubles often enough, you will probably want to get another reg set to avoid the hassle in changing between the two, but until then, there's no reason you can't use what you've got.

The HP80s you plan on doubling up are the same diameter, and the same neck thread as either AL80s, or HP100s. If you wanted to try doubling them up, and it doesn't work, you can always take the bands and manifold off the HP80s, and put them on whatever you replace them with, so you won't be out anything if you double up the HP80s and later decide you want HP100s (or even HP120s/AL80s) instead.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom