1st stage regulator question???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't believe how many people have you selling everything and starting from scratch!

First off, your first stages on your doubles setup DO NOT have to be the same brand/model. There's even something to be said for having different regs, but I won't get into it. My advice is to just use the regs you have. Put one reg on one post, and the other on the other. If one of your regs is adjustable, I would suggest using that one as the backup so you can detune it when it's not in your mouth, but other than that, just dive and enjoy.

As to the question with singles, you can use either second stage as your backup/octo. It probably doesn't matter which. The only problem I can possibly see is if one first stage is putting out a higher IP than the other. This might cause one of your regs to freeflow when put on the first stage with the higher IP, but I doubt you will even see this.

If you swap between singles and doubles often enough, you will probably want to get another reg set to avoid the hassle in changing between the two, but until then, there's no reason you can't use what you've got.

The HP80s you plan on doubling up are the same diameter, and the same neck thread as either AL80s, or HP100s. If you wanted to try doubling them up, and it doesn't work, you can always take the bands and manifold off the HP80s, and put them on whatever you replace them with, so you won't be out anything if you double up the HP80s and later decide you want HP100s (or even HP120s/AL80s) instead.

Tom

Wow,

Thanks for the mouth full Tom, I really appreciate your feedback. I'm glad to hear that two different regs would be okay for doubles and when using a single with a octo/exhange to a full regulator.

Just so everyone understands my post, I own the Legend LX supreme DIN, I just ordered online the Apeks XTX 200 DIN version which should arrive in one week.

I will use the Apeks as my flagship main regulator on a 7 ft hose, I will open one medium port for the the Legend LX supreme to be connected.

So therefore the Legend will hang on my neck via a bungie acting as my octo if I ever donate my primary Apeks to a diver in stress.

I have sitting in the garage two brand new PST 80 HP's that have never been dove, they were for my wife whole decided not to dive.

I will attempt to dive the HP 80's as doubles since I have nothing to lose except time, if I'm successful great if not, then I will go the other route.

I'm only 5'4 so big tanks for me are out of the question, two 100 HP's seem like too much for me.

Tom, thanks once again for stepping in your time to cast your opinion...

MG

Last edited:
I'm 6'7" and around 210lbs. I primarily dive HP100s, and have no trouble with trim. If you're only 5'4", they might work great for you. The HP100s on me are probably proportional to the HP80s on you, I would guess.

BTW, if you live in SF, look up the BAUE (bay area underwater Explorers) There will be plenty of folks in your area that have gone through this, and will likely be willing to dive with you and let you try out their tanks.

Tom

Why is it good to match first stages on your doubles regs?

Or why is it bad not to?

Mike, I have three first stages (two DIN and one yoke for travel) and two seconds stages. I can configure them for a single tank/yoke/AL80s, DIN/single tank or DIN/doubles (which at this point is entertaining enough to watch that I could charge admission).

From my experience I can promise that you will get tired of reconfiguring your regs for different types of tanks. It may take a while to work out the finances but if you are going to dive singles and doubles, eventually you are going to want to have a set of regs for each (at least three first stages and four second stages). So that leaves you plenty of options of what to buy in the future.

This is true whether or not your regs match. :D

Since I have you guys on topic about my regulator I need to ask another question. Since I'm not using an Octopus and I going with the two regs mentioned, what should my hose length be?

Everyone says 7ft since that's a requirement for Cave diving; that's what I've been told. Remember I'm only 5'4 and when I went down to a dive shop they strapped around the 5 foot, 6 foot and the 7foot hose to my body.

I didn't like the 5 foot and the 7 foot I didn't care much for since I don't like the extra cable having to be tucked away within my grotch belt.

The 6 foot was a dream come true in fit and wow was I juiced, but I left the store without anything because I wanted to talk to you guys first.

Can I please get some positive feedback for my setup?

Thanks,

Mike G

My wife is your height and uses a 7ft. This is after trying both 5 and 6ft. She hooks the hose under her can light and again under her knife.

Both 5 and 6ft are potentially ok in OW but you will end up with a 7ft eventually anyway (honest, everyone does - its just a matter of time).

I'll defer to the experience of the other posters on this thread, but...

Try as I might I can't seem to get comfortable with the 7' hose without a can light to tuck it under. I know I'm supposed to be able to just tuck it in the waistband or under the knife sheath but inevitably it comes undone and then I tuck it away and it comes undone....

For now I have the blue H 7' hose in my spares bag until I get a can light of my own. Until then I'm sticking with the 5'. For me, I would say if the 6' works better (and its underwater where you'll know, not on dry land) then I would go with that until get the chance to buy a can light of my own. Its more measurement of how big around you are vs. how tall you are anyway. To me the important thing for OW diving is the bungeed backup and the long hose, not so much whether its a 5' hose or a 7' hose.

There you have it, my underqualified, underexperienced experience. Worth exactly what you paid for it. :D

I'm not a big guy (5'8", 145lbs, 40" chest) but I found a 5ft very constricting in a drysuit with cold water undies. 6ft was ok, but NOT long enough to tuck in the waist and stay tucked so kinda floppy. 7ft stays in the waist or under the canister. Basically after trying all of these combos over the years both my wife and I, and everyone we know, have settled on 7ft hoses.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom