1st stage regulator question???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't forget, this is the DIR forum. There's a reason the answers here are uniform in advising you to eschew the gimmicks. DIR has a standardized, efficient and proven effective way to do things.

Are there other ways that work? Sure. But they're not DIR, and this probably isn't the right forum if you're looking for proponents of things like these plastic/bungee clips :)

what is the difference between the two?
Since I won't defend the Manta gizmo I'm assuming you mean, "What is the difference between the EE and WDS bungee necklaces?" The answer would be, "Nothing except one is $4 more expensive than the other -- and they are both overpriced." They are literally a length of 3/8" or 5/16" or 1/4" bungee with the ends tied with fishermans' knots to both ends. The small loop between the two knots go over your reg mouthpiece (pushed out of the way, usually over the mouthpiece ziptie).

The other way is to simply tie an overhand knot on each end of a length of bungee and then hold it in place with the regulator ziptie. That's not going to come undone, either intentionally or unintentionally.

Mike, Ben_ca brings up a good point. Depending on where you live you may have access to some great local mentors. That would be ideal to have someone show you how a boltsnap is tied, how to make a bungee necklace, why the hose lengths are what they are, etc.

Wow,

This is what I'm talking about, feedback and tons of it... Thanks, no really, thanks.... I'm staying completely away from the Manta necklace and these quick bungie gizmo's...

I'll keep it simple with what I already have and will definitely get me the 22 inch back up hose for my second reg...

MG

Since I won't defend the Manta gizmo I'm assuming you mean, "What is the difference between the EE and WDS bungee necklaces?" The answer would be, "Nothing except one is $4 more expensive than the other -- and they are both overpriced." They are literally a length of 3/8" or 5/16" or 1/4" bungee with the ends tied with fishermans' knots to both ends. The small loop between the two knots go over your reg mouthpiece (pushed out of the way, usually over the mouthpiece ziptie).

The other way is to simply tie an overhand knot on each end of a length of bungee and then hold it in place with the regulator ziptie. That's not going to come undone, either intentionally or unintentionally.

Actually I did mean the Manta versus the EE. Is the Manta bad because the reg can come out of the mouth piece hole? And in that case what's the difference between that and the EE one? It looks like the reg could slip out if the EE one too.

If I understand correctly DIR likes the reg Ziptied to the bungie so it cannot go missing. Is this correct?

I have always used the second method for bungeeing the back-up - A short piece of bungee with a knot on each end and then zip tied to the regulator. I have dived it that way for over a year and haven't seen any reason why it's not ideal.

I too think the other way would allow the reg to come out. Perhaps there is a reason you would like the reg to come free, but I yet to learn it.

Hunter

OK, since this IS the DIR forum....

Take a look at the GUE/DIR Equipment Configuration
This will give you a very good start. After that, local mentors can help a great deal. Far more then widely varied opinions on the internet. The internet is a great place to find local divers who currently dive using a style that you wish to subscribe to. I assume for you that means DIR since you did post the original question in this forum. Also, if you plan (as you should) on seeking training in DIR/TECH/GUE, then contact the instuctor you plan to use and ask their advice. They will be happy to talk with you.

I too think the other way would allow the reg to come out.

Hunter

No it does not. If the knots are tight enough, being a bungee, there will remain enough tension indefinitely.
Both are perfectly viable.

I'll keep it simple with what I already have and will definitely get me the 22 inch back up hose for my second reg...

Miflex...

:D

And note that with the long hose, the snorkle is gonna have to go. (Get a folding one and stash it in your DS pocket when not in use.)

And note that with the long hose, the snorkle is gonna have to go. (Get a folding one and stash it in your DS pocket when not in use.)

Or just toss the one he has in the corner of the garage and not buy another one. Much cheaper option and is the DIR recommended course of action.

Or just toss the one he has in the corner of the garage and not buy another one. Much cheaper option and is the DIR recommended course of action.

My understanding is the type of diving Mike does involves some surface swimming where a snorkle is de rigueur.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom