1st stage regulator question???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I'm diving with a 7' hose, and I don't have my can light, I have a waist pocket I put on the belt which I route the hose under. I have two. One is an XS Scuba pocket that I can't find anymore, and the other is a Dive Rite thigh pocket. In a real cave environment the OOA guy will be swimming in front of you, so it's their height that matters from a safety perspective, not yours.

If you don't like the idea of a really long hose, you can go with a 4' hose routed underneath your arm instead. This method has gone out of style, but it is pretty effective none-the-less. I have one reg setup this way, although I do have a angle adapter on the hose to make the bend into my mouth a little more comfortable.

I would agree that everyone goes to the long hose with enough diving.

Tom

Looks like I might as well start getting use to the 7ft hose. I don't own a canister light but I can assure you with time I will. I do however, own the DUI CLX450 drysuit that I haven't dove.

It should be in the mail arriving anytime soon, had some pockets and knee/elbow pads CF200 stitched in.

So I do have to take into consideration a drysuit, I made the regulator hose measurements on dry land over clothing at the LDS so it's not a good measurement.

I do remember the 6 foot extra length just lied in front of me on my stomach, whereas the 7ft clearly needed to be tucked away.

Maybe I'll find a way to tuck it nicely into my Apeks WTX harness, I'm sure somehow I'll find a place for it.

A lot of you guys are saying it's not about height but rather diameter of the chest/stomach area, looks like it might be okay to go with the 7 foot after all.

How about for my backup reg around my neck, I did have the LDS cut me some bungie but the length of hose on this reg is about 30 inches because thats what ships with new regs out of the box, should I purchase the 22 inch that everyone talks about?

Less drag should be nice and a better position for the reg to rest at 22 inches correct?

Let me know?

Thanks,

MG

p.s
Anyone use the manta cord that they sell at www.diveriteexpress.com? They have two models one standard the other for fat heads. Anyone have one? Do they hold up? How about the new zip ties that put in place your metal clips on the reg/SPG's? Do you like them, they say they are removable and hold up really well vs using zip ties or nylon rope.

Mike,

At this point, don't sweat the little things. If you've got a 30" lp hose for your backup reg, go ahead and use that. If it works well for you, that's great. If you find yourself annoyed by it because it bows out too much or flaps around while you fin, then deal with getting a shorter hose.

Don't stress the 7ft hose. I have to do an extreme tuck on mine, but routing gets fixed with a can light, it's a standard size, and the extra length is very useful in real air-sharing situations.

There are a lot of little things in "DIR" or "technical" configs that can save you some money. That's good cause as you're finding out, the rest of it certainly isn't cheap. nylon twine (cave line) is absolutely fine for your clip attachments - for the spg, backup lights, primary reg, etc. No need to go with fancy one-off ties or zips or anything. Also, a $0.50 length of bungee from REI makes the best backup reg necklace you can ask for. If it's too long, you can cut it down and re-tie it. If it gets old/frayed, just throw it out and pick up another length of cord from the store.

Ken,

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback but take a look at these clips, the price is great and it seems like a great product... What does everyone else think? At only $2.75 each they seem really great...

AC2019_1-200.jpg
AC2019_2-200.jpg

I personally don't care for the clippy doodad; I think the plastic piece would annoy me and get in the way of clipping/unclipping. Also I doubt it is as strong as hold (in the sense of keeping the boltsnap from sliding around) as caveline.

I would just use caveline. If you like, I'll sell you all the caveline you need to tie that boltsnap on for only $2.50 :D

Ken,

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback but take a look at these clips, the price is great and it seems like a great product... What does everyone else think? At only $2.75 each they seem really great...

AC2019_1-200.jpg
AC2019_2-200.jpg

I agree with Rob. If they're bungee, they won't hold the clip in place. And the tab is gonna get in the way whenever you reach for the clip. Cave line is cheaper, probably stronger, and much more compact.

But if you gotta have these things, I bet you they're not "scuba" items - i.e., you can find them for whatever purpose they were originally made for for way less than $2.50 each

Ken,

AC2019_1-200.jpg
AC2019_2-200.jpg

Oh boy, first it's the Manta reg holder now these-

Back away from the gimmicks. Put them on the ground, keep your hands where I can see them and back away from the gimmicks.

I said it doesn't matter for OW diving whether you have a 5' or 7' primary. But the 22" backup hose does matter, you aren't going to want the extra length of a 30" hose flapping around over there. Pick up a 22" hose when you get a chance (they aren't very expensive).

Instead of the Manta thingie, get a plain jane bungee necklace. You can buy them premade from EE for $9 (they are only $5 from wreckdiversupply.com but its impossible to link to individual items on their website). After you see one up close you can learn to tie the two fishermans' knots by yourself.

As far as that hose clip retainer, yeah, I had one of those. :rolleyes: In no time the bungee on one side of the plastic connector pulled out making it useless. Garbage, stay away. Get some cave line (#24 braided nylon twine) instead, you can tie any boltsnap with that securely and still cut it loose if necessary.

Ken,

AC2019_1-200.jpg
AC2019_2-200.jpg

I'll tie your bolt snap on for only $2.00...

:wink:

Instead of the Manta thingie, get a plain jane bungee necklace. You can buy them premade from EE for $9 (they are only $5 from wreckdiversupply.com but its impossible to link to individual items on their website). After you see one up close you can learn to tie the two fishermans' knots by yourself.

what is the difference between the two?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom