1st stage regulator question???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP not really... snorkels get in the way sometimes... specially going thru the kelp

Believe me, I'm no snorkle fan and suggested to Mike that he ditch it a long time ago.

:D

Mike, here is how you attach a bolt snap to something using cave line. Works for backup lights, regulators, SPG hose...anything that needs a boltsnap, really. :) If those pictures or directions don't help, let me know and I can put up some better ones.

My advice would be to cut a length of cave line maybe ~12-15 inches long, melt the ends, wet the line (removing excess water so it isn't slippery), then tie the knot as shown in the directions. Make sure you tie it as tight as you possibly can so you avoid a floppy boltsnap. Melting a little bit of excess line back onto the knot is very important as it helps keep the knot from coming undone.

As an extra precaution, I always put a drop of superglue onto the knot after everything else is complete to make sure it won't ever work apart. So far I have had 0 failures using this method. :)

Let me thank all of you personally for being very instrumental in your comments with the selection of my gear as I go further into diving.

As RJP will tell you, I was a big fan of the snorkel for two reasons, 1st my SSI training insisted I use it, 2nd my Pro QDi3 would force my surface swims face down into water. This has made me complete almost all 40 dives that I have logged in Monterey with a snorkel as a surface swim.

Once I would ascend it would be again to the snorkel, I don't hate the snorkel in fact I have rather gotten use to it and really think that Aqualungs Impulse 2 snorkel is robust and durable.

If going tech means later to the snorkel so be it. I don't have a problem with that. I would always try to conserve air for my tanks by breathing through the snorkel until time to descend.

I just got back from dolphinscuba.com in Sacramento, I have made already 3 trips up to them from SF bay area, there service is top notch and the tech in the service room is friendly and answers all my questions.

I came back home with the 23 inch hose for my backup reg and he also attached a bungie to it and showed me how to tie bolt straps. I also purchased the DIN kit for my Apeks XTX 200 that arrives on 10/1 Wednesday. Also got the 7 foot hose just like everyone suggested, its long but I'll learn.

Then lastly I got a great deal on the DUI undergarments, I went with the Polartech powerstretch 300, everywhere else wants $499 I paid $399 and went home happy. I'm lucky because I fit almost everything in Medium and didn't have to pay any custom prices.

I want to ask you guys another question:

I dive the Atomic Splitfins with spring attachment, I love those fins and cannot say anything negative about their performance.

But do I need to purchase the paddle tech fins that I see a lot of divers wearing?

EDG0036-2T.jpg
I saw a pair of fins made by HOG that are only $79 dollars and it comes with spring attachment.

Can anyone recommend other types of fins or am I okay with the fins I have?

Here is a picture of the HOG paddle fin...

EDG0036-2.jpg

Thanks,

MG

EDG0036-2T.jpg

Can anyone recommend other types of fins or am I okay with the fins I have?

The fins you have currently have a big rip right down the middle, no?

:eyebrow:

Get SP Jets, put springs on them, and be done with it.

Not sure I like the way the strap attaches to the fin you pictured there. (HOG?)

Here's how springs attach to SP Jets:

f_straps.jpg

RJP,

Have you dove the Atomics before? Just curious about your comment, I guess you are against split fins right?

Any feedback about the Atomics would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

MG

OMS Slipstream with the spring heel is hat I use. They have a very large foot pocket and make them a breeze if you combo big feet with drysuit boots.

OMSSLIPSTREAMFins.jpg

Blister

I dive the Atomic Splitfins with spring attachment, I love those fins and cannot say anything negative about their performance.

And you formed your opinion because in your experience you can compare them to...????

And you formed your opinion because in your experience you can compare them to...????

I've dove the Aqualung slingshot and various fins from my open water classes. The Atomics compared to those were excellent. I gone through several currents and felt the resistance on the other fins amongst my calves...

With the Atomic I have been able to move around effortlessly and in some cases I had to slow down as to not lose my dive buddy. They cut through water very easy.

Now, I am very new to diving, I've only been doing it one year with about 45 dives. I am a wetsuit diver that is going over to drysuit.

I have read how great the Scubapro Jet fins are that RJP mentioned. They talk about needing the extra power to move the drag from a drysuit. I know I will convert over to the paddle fins.

One reason is that I have dove with others in drysuits and similiar gear to what I have now purchased, I like the frog kick and I like the way they hover and pull forward or backward just on the fin itself.

With the splits it's a lot harder, I now because I tried copying what they were doing in the water and I felt the difficulty in the control of the split fins, mine are long and hard to move as rudder.

They are nevertheless a awesome set of fins that I will use in warm water diving that involves a wetsuit.

I really want to get the HOG paddle fins since you get the spring and the whole enchilada for $79 bucks.

That beats Scubapro's price by half... I tried them on with a size 9 DUI rockboot and the XL fit snug...

Does anyone have a set of HOG paddle fins? Anyone???

Thanks,

MG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom