1st Official OW Dive w/Daughter (pics attached)...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1000RR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My daughter (13) and I got our OW certification a couple weeks ago so yesterday I picked up a couple tanks and we decided to head down to Blue Heron Bridge (FL) and do our first dive (shore dive) as we wanted to get one more under our belt before our first boat dive Labor Day weekend.

You want the good news first or the bad? Ok, figured that... that bad news first. Actually not too bad, but we got all the way down there (2hr drive) and I thought I packed everything in the truck... apparently that nice weight bag holding our weights didn't make it :confused:. On the way down, I was just talking to her about planning your dive and discussed Bob's article (which I had been just reading this week) about gas management and planning your dive to give her the conceptual idea of some of the things you need to consider. So now what? Well we discussed the dive and discussed where we would go, which bridge we'd explore, the route back, gas, etc. But the weights?! We were diving in rash guard and shorts so that was good. I needed 6lbs or so and she was around 8lbs.

So we improvised... we went out let out all air in our BCs and we figured out we were barely buoyant. Not enough we couldn't swim down but enough that we had to keep our head below our feet to stay in a controlled depth. So the plan was to get rocks from the bottom. It was actually fun and what we ended up doing is each finding a rock big enough to keep us neutral to slightly negative. Once we did that, the fun began (good news) and we proceeded to explore w/our new flashlight and camera (nothing special). I was towing the flag (a first also). So we were doing quite a bit of task loading given our newness to this sport but she's pretty collective and very good in the water. Trying to carry a rock, a flashlight, snap pictures, and carry a flag (I didn't do all of them, she usually did the flashlight and camera) made for quite a fun time. We got about an hour in for the dive since we were exerting quite a bit in the first 1/2... so next time we'll do better I'm sure.

We figured since both of us could hold a depth without our rock (even though it was a constant head downward type swim) we felt OK with the situation... turned out to be a great 1st dive and hopefully the last time I screw up with forgetting our weights. Glad we weren't in wetsuits!! I had just though yesterday evening that I should make a checklist... guess my gut feeling was correct.

The other good news is that the previous dive I had a little challenge clearing my ears and right after ended up with an outer and middle ear infection. Got rid of those this past week and was working all week on various ways to clear my ears. Seemed good throughout the week so I made sure we both cleared early and cleared often! Man what a difference, I was able to really easily clear my ears, maybe the practice helped this past week? I even cleared them without grabbing my nose a couple times. Was great!

So the visibility was outstanding down there; I don't have a lot to compare to, but I'd have to guess 50-60' or more (maybe closer to 70'+). Outstanding for Blue Heron Bridge. My daughter managed to snap some pictures while managing her rock in the other hand :wink:

Oh... and her favorite part was seeing the eel w/its head sticking out. My favorite part was watching her have such an great time! My second favorite was probably watching the two smallish barracudas watch us and check us out. They were really cool!!

Attachments

• DSCF0029.JPG
    DSCF0029.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCF0033.JPG
    DSCF0033.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCF0030.JPG
    DSCF0030.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCF0044.JPG
    DSCF0044.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 158
  • DSCF0034.JPG
    DSCF0034.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Congratulations. A nice report to read for sure.

Good job at a great site. There is a dive shop in the parking lot at bhb and several down the street that you could have rented weights at...

One thing that I do is after cleaning my gear everything goes back into a bin ready for my next trip so that way I never forgot anything. Weights are always in the trunk of my car.

Congratulations for your first shore dive.

Nice report & good tip on using rocks to add weights. There are plenty of rocks under the bridge, but be careful with fire corals growing on it if you are not wearing gloves.

My weights are always in my trunk, as well.

Nice post!

yep, stuff like this with our children is just awesome!!!!

Yes, we tried to be careful about any fire coral. My daughter had her gloves on; I left mine in the truck. Each time I picked up a rock, I got up close and inspected best I could and kinda poked w/my finger first. Was all good.

I didn't walk over to the dive shop onsite, but pulled it up on my phone while I was there and it didn't show opening till 9:00am. Slack tide was at 7:40, and we entered the water around 7:00am. I figured pretty much no one was open.

Interestingly, the dive shop and owner that we got our certification through was there that morning working with a couple folks. He had his dive trailer there so I'm sure he would have had weights to borrow. I didn't want to interrupt his time w/these individuals plus I figured we'd learn our lesson better if we had to do our own improvisation. We probably didn't find our rocks till 20 minutes into the dive or so... which was a bummer because we really went through some air since we were working a bit harder trying to stay down and even just carrying a rock around made us work that much more (but we learned - hopefully!). Her RMV was 0.70 and mine was 0.89. I am pretty sure she was around .5 and I was around .7 during our last training dive (we didn't dive with our own computers during training). So it was apparent we were working a bit. Felt like it too.

My luck if I put them in the truck or a trunk is I'd end up taking a different vehicle next time :facepalm:. I like the bin idea and I have a couple of those for our rinsing of gear, maybe I'll do that? Right now I keep all our gear, the weight bag, my dive toolbox/save a dive kit/whatever you call it... all together in one of our closets. So hopefully it won't happen again :)

Congratulations on getting out there and exploring the world as independent divers.

We learn by mistakes and you have learned the lesson about the weights - make a mental list or one on your phone and check the items off as you go. My early lesson was in wetsuit use - make sure the rear zip is up before gearing up otherwise it makes for a very sharp shock as 8C water hit my back!.

Back
Top Bottom