1st complete setup tell me what you think plz tons of questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to the underwater world.
In south Florida or the tropics you could get by with dive skins or a 1 mil suit. I find a 3 mil farmer john too warm in the summer.
Divers Discount Florida in in Fort Lauderdale. They have a web site you can visit before you come; order what you want and they can have it ready for you. Good prices also.
Get a BCD that fits you with the features that you want. Keep it as small as you can but with all the lift that you need.
Regs you may want to purchase through you LDS. These need maintanance to keep their warranties valid.
Enjoy south Florida diving. I will stay were it is warm.

Why you don't see 7mm suits in South Florida: Half a 7mm suit means you will only half roast. Wearing any heavy suit in Floida sun and heat before jumping in is a terrible experience. Seriously, it may be hazardous to your health.

Maybe that cheap shortie is an idea. If you diving shallow, you will not be as concerned about air consumption, and what sort of suit you use is less than important.

I've never been concerned about getting home-town service on regulators. If the thing fails at 100 feet, is that dive store owner coming to your rescue? It's not like the Cadillac On-star service that comes to you. I get regulator service done out-of-town, by people who do that for a living, rather than having it done in a back room at some little dive store. All warranties remain valid.

the first set you buy will not be the last set you own. nothing above sends up any red flares.

Thanks you for that advice its very appreciated , i might wait for the computer , time to get more experience and know more what i want....

I think it's a good idea indeed to wait with the computer until you've done a little diving and know what kind of diving suits you. Maybe just buy a bottomtimer like the uwatec digital 330. With the money you save you then can buy a diving light, which I think is the most important item after a reg.
Around here most people use mares quattro fins including me, those are very good.

Thanks nudibranchman , but i think ill wait for the comp , i wont be diving deep any time soon.

I am still esitating between cressi alaska (319$), blizzard(379$) , oceanic delta4 (539$)

What i wonder is , Do the delta4 trully worth the 220$ more ?

I have the Delta 4 reg and it is expensive but I think it is worth it. The swivel is great and the mouth piece one of the best fits without changing it out. Breathing is easy no matter the depth.

Some General comments:

Henderson is overpriced, and not built much or any better than their much less expensive competitors.

Mask are about what fits you. If you fit an XVision you will NOT fit a BigEye I'm guessing. The Big Eye is one of the few masks that I can't wear, it's just big. My buddy has a larger face, and he uses a Big Eye.

I like Zealge Back Inflate BC's, but in general I like Back Inflate BC's over Jacket Style.

If you wear a LOT of weight diving cold water, you may want to look into a BP/W setup to get some weight off the belt.

I don't like consoles hanging off hoses. I prefer my computer and compass on the wrist, and have only an SPG (as a backup).

Why are you buying this while visiting FL, vs. just going online. With airlines looking to suck out money where ever they can, I am considering sending my dive gear via the mail to cut down on luggage.

Thanks to both of you for your light , its appreciated !

The swivel is great and the mouth piece one of the best fits

i am leanning on the Delta4 side ....
Confort is important , at least to me.. reliabilty and performance also for sure . ill definally try it whit a mask on , in fact i think ill all of them just to be sure . thx

I understand how important this piece is , and i dont want to be cheap on this particulary but i heard very good thing on blizzard and cressi so ... its hard to tell...

Some General comments:

Henderson is overpriced, and not built much or any better than their much less expensive competitors.

I dont care about henderson. hyperstrech looks cool to get in like the hood but as long as its 7mm and the quality is acceptable.
i definally want a farmer john tough, So i can wear half in summer here have have 14mm on the core the rest of the time

Mask are about what fits you. If you fit an XVision you will NOT fit a BigEye I'm guessing. The Big Eye is one of the few masks that I can't wear, it's just big. My buddy has a larger face, and he uses a Big Eye.

Yhea here again ill gess i will see how they fit , i just post those model becaus diver supply offer them in nice value package. Exept for deamon witch i find nice estetically , ok i admit it :p

I like Zealge Back Inflate BC's, but in general I like Back Inflate BC's over Jacket Style.

If you wear a LOT of weight diving cold water, you may want to look into a BP/W setup to get some weight off the belt.

I am not sure what the difference between back inflate and jacket ?
What the advantage of wings+back plate over the about , only stability horizontally ?

I was really thinking going CRESSI SUB AQUAPRO 5R or AQUALIGHT R cause they look great for the price.They seems to have the clip to hand a 19cu pony in sligh position.

but recently got interesed in zeagle they looks robust and all. here again i am asking is those worth the extra 250 $ more thand the cressi above. And diver supply dont sell Zeagle .
IS there a store near Miami key largo that sell at good price , as good as diver supply ?

I don't like consoles hanging off hoses. I prefer my computer and compass on the wrist, and have only an SPG (as a backup).

I totally understand what you mean and why, That what i plan to do , but the budget is playing.
Plus i am so much newb i dont even know what function are important , vital , what will be what i will want down the road, so i guess i will pass on the comp , exept if i get an awsome deal on a sure shot.

Why are you buying this while visiting FL, vs. just going online. With airlines looking to suck out money where ever they can, I am considering sending my dive gear via the mail to cut down on luggage.

Well i am from canada so there is always Shipping and duty fare ,Plus i want to try it before buying. try it on me. Plus i find FL (diver supply) have very good price.

I check today the the airline compagnie, they allow 50lb in the cargo bag plus the hand bag
I have no idea , How much a standart diving setup weigh ?

Also i ask if i can take a Al tank and they said no pressurise tank . I tough its ok whit the valve removed ? anyone ?

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm not a big fan of consoles. Consider keeping your depth gauge and compass on your wrists, where you can see them easily. Seems everyone with consoles drag them in the reef.

The "hyperstretch" wet suits are comfortable and easy to don, but millimeter for millimeter they are not as warm as real wet suits.

I would re-think getting 14mm of wet suit. Anything above 7mm gets to be difficult to manage. You will need 1,000,000 pounds of lead and your buoyancy between 0 and 25 feet will be out of control. If you need that much wet suit then you need to be diving dry.

There are a million masks in Florida. Assuming that you don't need prescription lens, why not wait until you get to Florida to buy a mask? You can try them on before buying. Not all masks are equal. Not all brands will fit your face properly.

Jacket-style BCs are really cluttered, even the back-inflate style. Back plates and wings are clean and streamlined.

You can take tanks onboard airliners, I think that law actually states that the pressure has be less than 25psi but in reality you gotta remove the valve. With the cost of excess luggage, buy the tank online.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom