1st complete setup tell me what you think plz tons of questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

technobro

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone

I am going to Fl last week of july, so i think ill buy my gears at the same occasion.

I spend some times lately trying to determine what gear will suit my needs, but i am quite not decided yet.

I am a newb.
I will mainly be diving into cold water , probably ice too.
I am looking for reliabilty mainly and bang for the buck ratio
Budget around 1500$

I plan to get it at Diver suply store locally or maybe diver joe america
If you have any other good store in miami area plz tell me.

Anyways this is what i plan to buy. All opignons, commentarys suggestions are welcomes !!

CRESSI SUB ELLIPSE ALASKA /MC7-AF REGULATOR or
SHERWOOD BLIZZARD SRB7900 or
OCEANIC DELTA 4 REGULATOR D.V.T

CRESSI SUB ELLIPSE OCTOPUS ( i have no idea what octo should i get is there some for cold water ?)

HENDERSON HYPERSTRETCH 7MM GLOVES
HENDERSON HYPERSTRETCH 7MM BOOT
HENDERSON HYPERSTRETCH HOOD 7MM

HENDERSON NEOSPORT FARMER JOHN MENS 7MM
HENDERSON NEOSPORT STEP-IN JACKET MENS 7MM( Are these good quality enough ?)

CRESSI SUB AQUAPRO 5R BCD
CRESSI SUB AQUALIGHT R TRAVEL BCD
MARES DRAGON BC WITH MRS PLUS
(I must admit i have no idea , i choose these one for price and looks)

CRESSI RONDINE A FINS
Cressi Rondine Pro Light Fins
Mares Quattro FinsMares

Cressi Big Eye
Mares Quattro FinsMares X Vision
MARES DEMON MASK

As for the computer / gauges i was planning on going modest and simple with somthing like:
MARES MISSION 3 COMPACT or
CRESSI SUB MINI 3 GAUGE CONSOLE

but thats alery around 150$ So i think why not buy a simple gauge and a simple comp for a bit more somthing like
MARES COMPACT PSI GAUGE (50$) + OCEANIC VEO 100 WRIST COMPUTER (174$)
or a all in one combo like

OCEANIC VEO 100 COMBO COMPUTER (249$) or
MARES MC2 CONSOLE (289$)

I am not hoping for perfect reply since i suppose there is toons of good gears and choices , but plz tell me what you think

Thank you

Don't get too specific on brands or models. Divers Direct has multiple brands you can examine and try on. They are all around South Florida, like Ft. Lauderdale. Good prices, too.

There may not be a big selection of 7mm suits on sale in South Florida. Most of us use a 3mm or sometimes a 5mm suit.

have fun with it.

Thanks for the fast reply , I dont care much about brands

relialbility and bang for the buck is what i aim, maybe after sale support ..

I was thinking of 7mm , coz i live in Quebec. But you are right i only see few 7mm choice in fl online stores .

You won't need the 7mm suit in Florida. From what I understand, buy a suit when you get there. It probably won't be name brand but you can get 3mm shorty for around $50 at some places.

Cressi makes good equipment. I almost bought Cressi regs but decided to go with Zeagle. Save yourself some cash and get the Cressi Frogs. My wife and I use them and my dive shop owner uses them, they are good. No idea about the BC. You may want to look into the Zeagle Escape. Zeagle is a Florida based company so you should be able to find it. The Oceanic Veo looks to be a good computer, the Mares is rated well too.

Techno: If you prefer diving with a suit and plan on diving a full week, picking up a 3mm suit could be a plus. Suits rent for $10-15 daily, and after five days of renting you would have spent enough to be the owner of a suit like this.

EVO Mens 3mm Jumpsuit at Divers Direct - Scuba gear & equipment online dive catalog!

Although the water in July feels warm enough to not need a suit, we find we get more bottom time when using one.

Thanks for all your anwsers , and sorry for behind confusing

as for the wet , i decide to go whit a john farmer style ,espacialy so i can wear only half piece in warm water .

would only the top will be too warm for florida ?

i might buy a 3mm later down the road , but for now i prefer putting cash in the reg. coz i wont be diving warm water more then 1 or 2 times per years.

Nismo: i intend to go cressi from the start , but reading this forums i realise there is so much choice . Btw i love nismo product i had a mod s14 but that a bit oof topics lol

they should make a store whit a pool in it so we can test it all lol

Wow the regs you listed were my short list eariler this week.
If you have a Sports Chalet near you the Sherwood Oasis is priced at $219 and is nearly the same as the Blizzard. My reg was the Oasis until my wife decided she liked my kit and made it her own.
I replaced it with the Delta 4 it is a whole lot more reg than the Sherwood Oasis or Blizzard and more on par with the SR-1
Both the Oceanic and Sherwood have 2 year warranties, the Cressi-sub is only 1. I believe that says something on it's own.
I was able to get the Delta 4 FDX10 for $390 at my LDS so that should tell you how much room there is for negotiation on it.
Good Luck and welcome to the underwater world.

I would pass on the veo 100 and get the 180 or 250, since they both have backlights. Dive enough in dark water and you will need one.

Thanks you for that advice its very appreciated , i might wait for the computer , time to get more experience and know more what i want....

Back
Top Bottom