1st complete setup tell me what you think plz tons of questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Doc harry,

I just watched you pics from cozumel : Too awsome :)

i think you misunderstand me , I want to get a john farmer style 7mm , So it will make 14mm in my core , legs arm whill still be 7mm.

The reason i want analog gauge , is if the comp is faulty or dead battery. In fact i want both.

I dont plan buying anything before trying it.

What brand of wet will you recommend for cold water ?

I guess ill consider a bp/w ...

I also did my research and find my anwser, contradictory to what the airline tell me , you can bring a tank into an airplane in cargo or handbag as long as the valve is removed

Here the official tranportation security admin of usa
concerning the tank
TSA: Compressed Gas Cylinders

concerning diving gear
TSA: Transporting Scuba Equipment

Last edited:
I bought the Sherwood Blizzard and I'm very happy with it. A lot of the guys who dive Tobermory and Lake Ontario/St. Lawrence River like the Blizzard and are very happy with it as well.

The only shop in my area pushing the Henderson equipment is a not someone whose opinion I trust. Having been trained in retail sales techniques I immediately spotted this guy trying to apply known techniques rather than just be honest. General feeling on the Henderson is overpriced; you are probably paying for advertising more than anything else. The shop I trust the most just does all Sherwood/Akona/Genesis equipment. The Akona quantum stretch was cheaper than the Henderson and I'm pretty happy with it.

I also saw someone with Waterproof wetsuits (swedish company). They looked really good online and looked even better in person. The couple I saw wearing them were REALLY happy with them. The suits looked new but they had them for a while. If I was going to spend the extra money I'd get a Waterproof wetsuit.

I also got the Sherwood Wisdom II computer recently. The display is nice and large, easy to read. The only downside to it is the audible alarm is too quiet. I'm still in the habit of checking my gauges (used SPG and tables until April of this year). So I'm okay with the alarm being too quiet. Would have been nice if it was louder though. Thinking about a TUSA IQ800; mostly because it vibrates.

For the BCD, make sure it is adjustable enough. You might want to tighten it enough for skin diving in warm water or wearing a lot of protection in cold water. Also, do you want a jacket or backplate? I have always dove jacket so I stuck with that. If you plan on diving twins you need to be sure the BCD can handle that.

I've had two masks. My Mares (cannot remember what model) is better. Was looking at getting something else. The face is getting a little more wrinkly; heard good things about the X-Vision.

There is no all purpose wetsuit. Wearing half a 7mm farmer john is really not such a good compromise. Half of you is going to be too cold or too warm. Half of you will be exposed to any stinging critters in the water which often occur in tropical places. You'll need to wear extra lead you shouldn't need. It's more of a pain to pack. If you're diving someplace tropical once or twice a year it is well worth getting an appropriate suit, which might be as little as a skin or 1mm and you should be able to pick up in FL pretty cheap. Heck, some people dive in t-shirts.

You might consider a 7mm fullsuit for home, with a hooded vest to go over it. Then, the hooded vest might be a useful place to take someplace warmer and layer over a thin suit. Farmer John suits are an older style which while still around, seem to have been largely replaced by the newer styles.

Speaking from personal experience, avoid the Cressi Ellipse Alaska. My shop became a dealer for Cressi and brought one in to try out. The only 2 cold water dives it was used on, both had a massive freeflow. Stick to the Sherwood or the Oceanic, or a Zeagle DSV for good cold water performance within the brands that you mentioned.

scubadiver888
thx, lol damm sales sales techniques pusher lol . i think ill pass on the blizzard and go for a Delta4, Even i am sure its a great reg
thx for the tips for the Bc , ill check the x vison mask for sure ...

Damselfish
I understand what you mean , ill consider a full piece when ill buy.
ill also make sure when ill buy my comp its loud audible sound ..thx great tips

Jim thanx , i am pretty decide on delta4, thats clear my reg choice.

biggest question mark now is wetsuit ...

I'd not worry much about the wetsuit. They are about what fits. If you are an easy fit, you will have a lot of options. If not, you will have less.

You also may need to purchase the wetsuit elsewhere. FL does not have a lot of 7mm stock that I have seen on the floor, because they just don't sell well. However some of the mail order places may have what you need.

There are a Ton of Dive Shops in FL. Divers Supply is a big chain, and they carry a LOT of stuff. Divers direct is another outlet. DiveRiteExpress has an outlet in Pompano. You can't throw a rock in a lot of places on the SE Coast without hitting a dive shop!

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom