15 Dives and an OOPS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving a 5 with no skin. Just ordered my 3 with a skin since we're going to Bonaire and I'll likely roast in the 5. I'll be looking at other ways to stay warm as we really don't have drysuit money in the budget, yet.

I am going to admit, I'm borderline shopaholic (lookaholic, for sure) and a scubaholic to boot. Will probably take a break from December to mid-January (Florida dive trip) and then resume late March or April. That's gonna be painful.

Cindy

---------- Post Merged at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:42 AM ----------

Cindy

i have doubled a 3mm shorty under a 3mm full before with good results. never tried to stick a full under a full, but might be possible. I used a jacket for my first couple of dives and went to bp/w setup early on. i liked it and can dive both ways without issues. By far though, my favorite setup is sidemount. All setups require different learning and different adjusting, but to me that is most of the fun. I honestly do not think that i have had 2 dives that were the same setup without adjustment yet. I am lucky to have a good mentor and decent lds at my disposal. I have had the chance to try out many different setups, and different other gear in general, without having to break the bank.

Cindy, after 20 years I finally switched from jacket BCD to BP/W. I love my BP/W, but be aware, there is a learning curve and finding your buoyancy sweet spot again. If you're prepared to do that, go for it. Personally, I wouldn't even open up the jacket/bp/w subject for discussion. There's plenty of threads that beat that subject to death. Cindymac needs to do what Cindymac needs to do. :thumnb:

I've almost, not quite, found a sweet spot with the Zena, but it I could tweak the fit just a bit more.....

Every good DIY person starts out with that thought. And I doubt that there is a serious diver alive who hasn't modified their gear to some degree or other to suit their own tastes. If it's something that can be changed then maybe what you need isn't the LDS but a company that makes backpacks or something that could help you customize it.

Just a thought.

R..

Yes, Colliam-

I was at the American Quarry for the General Assembly. Usually dive Lake Norman. I did not notice a thermocline at American and that was confirmed to me. Max depth for me was 49' which is my deepest dive so far.

I found any wetsuit in the dead of summer was hot until I hit the thermocline - then, what a relief...happy, happy, joy, joy!

The lack of usuable straps/pockets has been a big disappointment for me. I have also found that zipper doesn't like to zip when it's wet. I tighten the Zena as has been described in other forums here on Scubaboard and sometimes feel like it could be a bit more snug. The shoulders are tightened to the max.

I am pretty sure I can find a BP/W to try.

Let me know when you'll be at Blanch and I'll try to arrange to be there!

Thanks for your input, much appreciated!

Cindy

if your zena is loose in the shoulders, possibly adding a crotch strap to it could cure that issue. my shoulder straps on my wing are tightened to where i want them, then the crotch strap is tightened to keep them snug and down where they belong.

The lack of usuable straps/pockets has been a big disappointment for me. I have also found that zipper doesn't like to zip when it's wet. I tighten the Zena as has been described in other forums here on Scubaboard and sometimes feel like it could be a bit more snug. The shoulders are tightened to the max.

I am pretty sure I can find a BP/W to try.

Let me know when you'll be at Blanch and I'll try to arrange to be there!

Thanks for your input, much appreciated!

Cindy

Cindy,

See if you can rent a BPW first. You're in North Carolina so I'm sure that there should be shops around renting out BPW for the technical deep and/or wreck divers.

Just remember that a BPW doesn't come with pockets. You'll have to add them on the waist belt portion of the BPW's harness, or on the thighs of your exposure suit.

I think that you'd only gain two things from going to a BPW and you already know about them: first and most important is that less weight off your belt and onto your torso with the tank's weight distributing evenly across your back, second is that you don't have to worry about fit since that the continuous harness is infinitely adjustable and isn't body type dependent.

I'm fat and weight belts tend to slide down off my butt, and that's the only reason why I prefer integrated weight. Otherwise weight belts offer a lot more practicality and flexibility.

PS The third and best reason for switching to BPW: Dudes Dig It. I know that you're a happily married woman and all, but you can't discount the DDI effect.:eyebrow:

Hey, thanks for that idea! That never crossed my mind!

I know that you're a happily married woman and all, but you can't discount the DDI effect.:eyebrow:

LOL.... I am *so* getting a T-shirt made with a silhouette of a diver and a caption that reads "don't underestimate the DDI effect"

R..

I don't have a BP/W for rent but I could probably lend you mine if you'll let me know when you need it.
I'll pm you my phone number if you'd like to call and chat about it.

Thanks! I'd love to chat about it.

---------- Post Merged at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:06 PM ----------

LOL.... I am *so* getting a T-shirt made with a silhouette of a diver and a caption that reads "don't underestimate the DDI effect"

R..

Oh, I LOVE it!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom