15 Dives and an OOPS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CindyMac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am so excited - 15 dives now. 3 in one day!!!!

Yesterday, we went with a group to a different quarry in our association. Nice, but was definitey different! Never have entered water using stairs. I had some buoyancy issues, but that was the purpose of my dives and felt like I learned a lot. I got in 3 dives! My husband only dove twice. He thumbed the third because he felt he was just too tired and getting a little chilled. I think it was a good decision. He was grousing about having married a younger woman who won't stay out of the water. He fully takes the blame but also acknowledges that since we both dive and I'm pushing to get better, he's diving more and gettng better!

What I learned: if you go upside down in the water and don't zip you weight pocket, guess what?? Weights fall out!
No matter now much you deflate, you will surface! We were in about 15ft when this happened. So, in my pre-dive check we've added to check that all pockets are zipped.

Second thing: If you dive full face mask and don't fully close the ambient breathing valve and you go down head first, water will get in. Caught it quickly and went on with the dive.

Third dive was terrific. Went down and was able to stay stationary (for the most part) on the platform. Major victory for me!!! My dive profiles are getting better (except for dive 2). Dive 2 was my deepest yet...49ft!!!

I am still amazed that I'm getting in 71 degree water with air temps of 65. I think I need a 7mm suit. I also need a BP/W. Scheming has begun on how to accomplish the BP/W. Anyone want a good deal on Zena, PM me. Gonna have to work on the hubs for the BP/W.

Diving is getting better and better!

The addiction is growing.....how cool is that!

Oh, and I got to see rebreathers for the first time. That was a most impressive setup. Don't think I'll be going there anytime soon. But it was really great to get a good visual! There were about 3-5 people diving rebreathers. Cool.

Last edited:
Great report, and kudos on your dedication.

Drysuited is the real way to go in the cold months.

-Bryan

Goodness gracious, you're diving a full face mask?

Glad to hear you enjoyed your three dives, and learned something from them. The essence of diving is that it's more fun when you are good at it, and you don't get good at it unless you do it often. Your drive to get in the water will help you develop good skills quickly.

I am so excited - 15 dives now. 3 in one day!!!!

Yesterday, we went with a group to a different quarry in our association. Nice, but was definitey different! Never have entered water using stairs. I had some buoyancy issues, but that was the purpose of my dives and felt like I learned a lot. I got in 3 dives! My husband only dove twice. He thumbed the third because he felt he was just too tired and getting a little chilled. I think it was a good decision. He was grousing about having married a younger woman who won't stay out of the water. He fully takes the blame but also acknowledges that since we both dive and I'm pushing to get better, he's diving more and gettng better!

What I learned: if you go upside down in the water and don't zip you weight pocket, guess what?? Weights fall out!
No matter now much you deflate, you will surface! We were in about 15ft when this happened. So, in my pre-dive check we've added to check that all pockets are zipped.

Second thing: If you dive full face mask and don't fully close the ambient breathing valve and you go down head first, water will get in. Caught it quickly and went on with the dive.

Third dive was terrific. Went down and was able to stay stationary (for the most part) on the platform. Major victory for me!!! My dive profiles are getting better (except for dive 2). Dive 2 was my deepest yet...49ft!!!

I am still amazed that I'm getting in 71 degree water with air temps of 65. I think I need a 7mm suit. I also need a BP/W. Scheming has begun on how to accomplish the BP/W. Anyone want a good deal on Zena, PM me. Gonna have to work on the hubs for the BP/W.

Diving is getting better and better!

The addiction is growing.....how cool is that!

Congrads and oh dear lol... u are headed the way of the dark side lol!

Personally I prefer velcro weight pockets as they tend to flap close anyway.

If you have issues selling the Zena via the classifieds, you could sell it to leisurepro
Used | LeisurePro.com

For a bp/w few are as well designed as the stuff from Deepseasupply (you could also get the glide system) how it works.
Or the wings from Oxycheq (Back Plate and Wings packages).

A dry suit is a great idea if you are diving in cold water as a 7mm is rather cumbersome.

Something else for you to consider, if you are planning to dive doubles, stick with a bp/w however if you plan to dive all over the world and want something very flexible, you could consider sidemount gear like this:
xDEEP - Side Mount Stealth 2.0 - full set; Side Mount Harness with Buoyancy Compensator

Check out the vids here:
Go Side Mount - Steve Bogaerts & HP Hartmann

Cheers

Cindy, Sounds like you've gotten the "bug" we have all been infected with. Face it, once you think you've got everything you need, you'll discover something else new and cool.

Guilty,
Elena

Great report, and kudos on your dedication.

Drysuited is the real way to go in the cold months.

-Bryan

Since I live in Utah where most of the in-state diving is cold I hear lots of advocates for diving dry. One day I plan to learn to dive dry, but I feel like part of the fun of diving is actually getting wet. I have dove some pretty cold water in Maine wet, it may make the dive shorter, but didn't limit the fun.

As far as the OP, it is good to hear you at having fun and learning. I try to keep learning as I keep diving. It is really amazing how much more comfortable you feel the more you dive. It is that sense of learning that I think keeps me wanting to advance my certifications and skill level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

...//... I think I need a 7mm suit. ...//...

No, no! -you start with a skin, a 7mil, and then buy a drysuit. Save your money and dive the 3 mil. for a while (Im guessing) People can be coerced into helping you pick the best drysuit. :rofl3:

...//... The addiction is growing.....how cool is that! ...//....

BwaHaHa!
Oh, sorry... :D

I have always loved diving and until this year (3 years OW qualified) my partner only 'liked' it.

This year we did a Scuba Review and went diving in the Red Sea with an excellent instructor/guide and now all of a sudden things have clicked into place and my partner loves it too!

Example from previous years (out on the boat for the day): 'That was really good - what time do you think we'll be back at the hotel?'
Examples from this year: 'Yes, of course we want to do the third dive!', 'Of course we're diving again tomorrow!' (this on our supposedly last day of diving), 'Can't wait to do this night-dive!' (our first).

Makes things so much easier, especially when it comes to spending money!

Hopefully, at some point, your husband will have the same epiphany.
:wink:

Congrats on your enjoyment. That's what it's all about. As TS&M said, the better you are the more you'll enjoy it.

Also, congrats to your hubby for knowing his limitations and keeping himself and you (his dive buddy) out of harms way.

I also need a BP/W. Scheming has begun on how to accomplish the BP/W. Anyone want a good deal on Zena, PM me. Gonna have to work on the hubs for the BP/W.

*facepalm*... no *double facepalm*

Here we go again.

Ok, Cindy. Why?

R..

October-18-2011-20-12-49-DoubleFacePalm.jpg

---------- Post Merged at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:58 AM ----------

Weight pockets don't zip.

Where were you keeping your weights? In the BCD pockets? How do you have that set up? I'm curious.

R..

Back
Top Bottom