149cf Faber Steel Tank, yay or nay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhbryaniv:
Is that supposed to be fun?

It all depends on your definition of fun. And yes, I have considered double LP 121's (or HP 149's). There have been times my pumped 104's could have been a bit bigger. My only concern is the height of the tanks for doubles, and even that can be managed by going to a different harness (sidemount).

Ended up getting a brand new catalina AL80 for $150 @ LDS, new hydro/VIP. It's no steel, but IMO not a bad deal in Hawaii considering what others shops/people were asking.

They are monsters. So heavy. Not so good buoyancy characteristics as mentioned by the masters here. One other fact: who needs so much air??? The only thing worse would be double 149s with another 149 sling bottle as back up. Calculating.... Calculating..... your total is 447 cu feet of air.

ams511:
It appears to be a rather large and heavy tank, it weighs empty about 15lbs more than an aluminum 80. If you are large and in good shape you can probably handle the additional tank weight.

Good points. It is definitely heavy, AND it is also tall. From personal experience, I might suggest that the effect of the length on trim may be as big, or bigger, of an issue as the weight.

ams511:
you are going to have a 12lb swing in buoyancy because of the air. So you may be overweighted at the beginning of the dive, if something should happen it may be very difficult to swim up from depth.

Like one other respondent, I dive an E7-120 (HP) single, which weighs in at 49 lbs full. I can swim that tank up full (and I am not Johnny Weismuller.) The bouyancy shift is ~10.5 lbs, and I don't find that to be a problem.

The Faber is a bigger diameter than the E7 (7.25in), but the same diameter (8in) as the AL80. The bigger difference is length. The 120 is already several inches longer than the AL80, and the Faber 149 is about 1.3in longer than the E7. So, there MAY be a tendancy toward feeling more 'foot heavy' with the 149 simply because more weight is being added lower on your back. Hence my earlier comment about adjusting trim as a concern, as much as weight. Not insurmountable obstacles by any means, just points to ponder.

[I also dive a set of double E7-120s. Those I most definitely cannot swim up full. And, I do feel 'foot heavy' with those. But, I don't find the even bigger full to empty buoyancy shift to be a problem either. At 5' 10" and 200 lbs, I can stand up, move around comfortably on land or boat, and even walk up stairs with them strapped on (of course, I go on oxygen for an hour immediately afterwards to recover from the exertion)].

If you are reasonably tall (say 6' or above) and (as others have said) have the 'physique' for the weight, diving the Faber as a single shouldn't be that big of an issue. If I had a chance to buy one used locally (NC) for that price I would probably consider it. Note that Faber steels are not hot-dip galvanized, like the PST HP steels. Rather, they are spray galvanized, with expoxy paint and a third (polyurethane) coating. There may be others who can comments on the benefits of this type of tank.

itch808:
60lbs doesn't sound too bad to me, but man-o-man, a 12lb swing is crazy! I think that's more than an AL80.
The air capacity is what determines the buoyancy swing. 149cf of air weighs the same whether it is in a steel tank, an aluminum tank, or doubles. The weight of the tank has no effect because it does not change during the dive.

Doubles would probably be better than a single 149 because of redundancy and stability. Of course, you could use double 149s. That would be like diving with two torpedoes on your back.

Colliam7:
The Faber is a bigger diameter than the E7 (7.25in), but the same diameter (8in) as the AL80.
Eh? I was under the impression that Al.80's were 7.25" diameter, same as my E7 tanks. The same bands certainly fit both...

ekewaka:
The air capacity is what determines the buoyancy swing. 149cf of air weighs the same whether it is in a steel tank, an aluminum tank, or doubles. The weight of the tank has no effect because it does not change during the dive.

Doubles would probably be better than a single 149 because of redundancy and stability. Of course, you could use double 149s. That would be like diving with two torpedoes on your back.
Considering the amount of gas in question, I think for someone diving wet, doubled Al.80s might be a better choice. You get a little more gas (~155cf) at a much lower pressure (read: easier to get good fills). Cost would probably be similar new, or WAY less if you pick up some used Al.80s. You'd have the option of breaking them down to singles if you wanted, or using them as stage bottles later down the road. And finally, you'd have the redundancy of doubles when you want it.

CompuDude:
Eh? I was under the impression that Al.80's were 7.25" diameter, same as my E7 tanks. The same bands certainly fit both...

Considering the amount of gas in question, I think for someone diving wet, doubled Al.80s might be a better choice. You get a little more gas (~155cf) at a much lower pressure (read: easier to get good fills). Cost would probably be similar new, or WAY less if you pick up some used Al.80s. You'd have the option of breaking them down to singles if you wanted, or using them as stage bottles later down the road. And finally, you'd have the redundancy of doubles when you want it.

AL80 is 7.25", not 8" (at least the VAST majority of them). As for cost, the doubled 80s are going to be significantly more (bands and manifold). That said, they also seem to be a clearly better choice.

Rainer:
AL80 is 7.25", not 8" (at least the VAST majority of them). As for cost, the doubled 80s are going to be significantly more (bands and manifold). That said, they also seem to be a clearly better choice.
Good point, although used 80s would certainly bring the cost down ($50ea=$100+$130 bands=$230+$150 manifold=$380). And bands and manifolds can be migrated to other tanks down the road.

CompuDude:
Good point, although used 80s would certainly bring the cost down ($50ea=$100+$130 bands=$230+$150 manifold=$380). And bands and manifolds can be migrated to other tanks down the road.

Keep counting. :D Need to add another reg to that total. And the appropriate hoses for routing (which the OP may or may not already have). Still, redundancy is nice.

Rainer:
Keep counting. :D Need to add another reg to that total. And the appropriate hoses for routing (which the OP may or may not already have). Still, redundancy is nice.
Doh! I keep forgetting about the other reg, since I've had one for 6 months longer than I've had doubles, in anticipation of getting there. *g* Still a first stage can be had for cheap... I've seen DIN first stages for under $100, new (not a MK25, perhaps), and used regs offer good value, also. Good point on the hoses, too... I have a DIR rig so my hoses pretty much all transfer over no prob.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom