149cf Faber Steel Tank, yay or nay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there any macho guy out there to try a double of 149 cf? :wink:

We will be very glad to see a picture....

Hey, one of my female buddies (a very accomplished musician) dove double HP 120's, and did so very gracefully. I'll bet Karen would have no trouble diving twin 149's. However, I would...

DON'T DO IT!!!!! it won't fit in most dive boats, the DM's will HATE you for having to lug the d@mn thing and you'll need a new spleen after lugging it to the boat.

drbill:
Hey, one of my female buddies (a very accomplished musician) dove double HP 120's, and did so very gracefully. I'll bet Karen would have no trouble diving twin 149's. However, I would...

I can't abuse my waist/back to keep a happy marriage life. It might be a different story to a lady though.:wink:

I am 5"10" and dive a HP120. I am almost not tall enough. The tank hits the back of my legs or the back of my head if not positioned perfectly. The bottom time is nice however and it sure makes an AL80 easy to move around etc...when I dive those.

I think it just depends how tall/strong you are, and if you would be comfortable with it. As for people talking about weight and buoyancy swing, what about us guys who dive big double tanks. We seem to get along just fine with it. I guess the only advantage we have is how stable the doubles are compared to a single tank.

For the past two years I have dove LP steel 120s in Cozumel. I absolutely love the things! We can do the Devil's Throat with no concern about being tight on air. I think my actual air consump. has improved because I'm no longer the slightest bit anxious about trying to meet a dive objective when I know I would be skinny on air if I were diving an 80AL. In fact, many of the deco dives we simiply couldn't do.

I've never actually stood an AL80 up beside them, but it's easy to tell that the 120s are taller. What I really noticed was the diameter.... pretty big diff. here.

I also noticed that in weights I drop down to about 4 to 5lbs. (I always take as least one 1lb trim weight with me when I travel.)

Now..... about your 149cf tanks. Geeze, oh pete, those things must be BIG! I'm not sure I'd want to dive anything bigger than a 120. AS it is, I feel like I've got a propane tank on my back!

My two cents! Best of luck with your decision!

WallDiver77:
For the past two years I have dove LP steel 120s in Cozumel. I absolutely love the things! We can do the Devil's Throat with no concern about being tight on air. I think my actual air consump. has improved because I'm no longer the slightest bit anxious about trying to meet a dive objective when I know I would be skinny on air if I were diving an 80AL. In fact, many of the deco dives we simiply couldn't do.

I've never actually stood an AL80 up beside them, but it's easy to tell that the 120s are taller. What I really noticed was the diameter.... pretty big diff. here.

I also noticed that in weights I drop down to about 4 to 5lbs. (I always take as least one 1lb trim weight with me when I travel.)

Now..... about your 149cf tanks. Geeze, oh pete, those things must be BIG! I'm not sure I'd want to dive anything bigger than a 120. AS it is, I feel like I've got a propane tank on my back!

My two cents! Best of luck with your decision!

I was just looking at TDL's tank list, and the HP149's are pretty much identical to your LP120's, a couple pounds heavier, a half inch shorter, same diameter, just a bunch more air.

hummm, compared to a set of doubles it wouldn't be so bad. also, seems that you would want your buddy to have a similar size tank so you have equal bottom times.

Codyjp:
hummm, compared to a set of doubles it wouldn't be so bad. also, seems that you would want your buddy to have a similar size tank so you have equal bottom times.

Ideally yes, but if you're just doing no deco stuff, a lot of times your NDL limits the dive not the air supply, especially if deeper than 70 feet or so. Find a tank that you like and feels good with in the water, and enjoy it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom