13 Cu. Pony Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lamont, I am just looking for bottle to complete deco. A safety net at ten feet to complete the deco requirements if it is required. Forgive me for my ignorance on this subject, all my dives have been done on plain air. Now, if I fill this safety net with high content O2 for deco's above 20ft what would that do for me? I have been told that your deco expires faster? This can only be used for above 20ft correct. How much faster?

cebudiver:
Now, if I fill this safety net with high content O2 for deco's above 20ft what would that do for me?
Probably kill you.

cebudiver:
Lamont, I am just looking for bottle to complete deco. A safety net at ten feet to complete the deco requirements if it is required. Forgive me for my ignorance on this subject, all my dives have been done on plain air. Now, if I fill this safety net with high content O2 for deco's above 20ft what would that do for me? I have been told that your deco expires faster? This can only be used for above 20ft correct. How much faster?
Do you have deco training? It sounds as though you don't. If you do not, what will probably happen with the high O2 mix is you'll tox out trying to breath it too deep. Stick with whatever you're breathing. And get deco training.

So in reading this thread, it appears that the 6 CF "spare air" bottles are basically useless as emergency air at any reasonable depth.

Or have I missed something??

Basically, who cares no matter what size of tank you have. it is your life. Your buddy might care it though....:)

divengolf:
So in reading this thread, it appears that the 6 CF "spare air" bottles are basically useless as emergency air at any reasonable depth.

Or have I missed something??

Not necessarily useless but If you need to do a safety stop and you're already breathing a little hard because you ran ooa it might not allow you to do it. It all depends on what you call reasonable depth. If you run out at 30 ft it may be ok. If it's 80 ft (reasonable to me) can you say "oops!" :11: cause you may be going to finish the ascent CESA if you maintain a safe rate of say 30 ft a minute. Personally anything less than 19 is a wash for me. I can do a safe ascent w/safety stop from 100 ft with mine. I know because I also use Mark's practice method on occaison when I'm with a buddy. Even so I'm still thinking of getting a 30 or 40 cause I like to do deep dives in the 80-110 ft range and I've been known to do em solo. :11: Just a little extra insurance.:wink:

rapidiver:
Y'know, Knitting is quite popular now-but I'm intimidated by those pointy needles!:D

Take note, you can still take the knitting needles on the aircraft as a carry-on, but our beloved TSA is looking at changing that decision. Pretty soon they'll be as dangerous as bug spray or a corkscrew. :42: Ken

Its a pretty simple question. If I use 100% o2 at 10 ft. to do deco how much quicker will I be clear to get to the surface with say 10 minutes of deco on regular air. Am comparing the differences here.

You obviously don't have any decompression training (and from what I can tell, you don't even have nitrox training), so don't even bother thinking about questions that involve 100% O2 for emergency bailout use on a recreational dive where you have accidentally gone in to deco. :eek: 100% O2 below 20 ft CAN (and probably will) KILL YOU. You also apparently don't understand the concept of SAC rates, as evidenced by your questions regarding # of breaths per minute, which means you have no way of calculating how much gas you need.

Stop and go learn how to calculate your breathing rate. Then stop again and go learn how to calculate how much gas is needed to do an OOA ascent. Then stop a third time and figure out why you are 'accidentally' going into deco with only an Al80 on your back. Now stop a fourth time and think about how you can solve these problems by adding planning and without adding equipment.

Your idea of how you want to use a 13 cft bottle is positively foolish. A 13 cft bottle is completely useless as a pony bottle...really, anything less than 20 ft is silly, as it just doesn't provide enough gas to benefit you in any way beyond extremely shallow depths, except to help you run out of gas twice, rather than just once.

You appear to have come into this conversation already decided that you want a 13cft bottle despite being told by almost everyone that it isn't a good idea. Now, my question is, why do you object to something larger? It's not like a 20cft bottle is that much bigger, and a 30-40 cft bottle slung like a stage would be even better. Of course, even better would be to learn how to manage your gas properly and forget about the whole poco bottle thing, but I'm sure you don't want to hear that.

cebudiver:

No it's not a simple question. It involves several hours of classwork on physiology, decompression theory, and profile generation.

cebudiver:
Its a pretty simple question. If I use 100% o2 at 10 ft. to do deco how much quicker will I be clear to get to the surface with say 10 minutes of deco on regular air. Am comparing the differences here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom