13 Cu. Pony Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divengolf:
So in reading this thread, it appears that the 6 CF "spare air" bottles are basically useless as emergency air at any reasonable depth.

Or have I missed something??

Please do a search on spare air. Yes, they are useless. 100% useless. More than 100% useless...except for Helicopter Pilots and Kayakers.

anything less than 20 ft is silly, as it just doesn't provide enough gas to benefit you in any way beyond extremely shallow depths, except to help you run out of gas twice, rather than just once.

I just wanted to let you know that I really like that line and am going to steal it. :cool:

Terry

Go with a 40'. You can use it as a pony, or you can use it as a stage bottle should you start doing deco dives.

Soggy:
Please do a search on spare air. Yes, they are useless. 100% useless. More than 100% useless...except for Helicopter Pilots and Kayakers.
I guess jet boat race pilots use them too, but yeah... inadequate for the needs of a diver.

divengolf:
So in reading this thread, it appears that the 6 CF "spare air" bottles are basically useless as emergency air at any reasonable depth.
Yes.

The 6 Cu Ft model is great if you're planning on ascending like a rocket and don't mind getting bent.

The 2.9 Cu Ft model is great if you need enough time to say "Oh s**t! I'm out of air!"

Although your mileage may vary, unless you're a 90 pound, 5' tall 14 year-old girl who can get 3 hours out of an Al 80, there just isn't enough air to help.

I do carry a pony and have done actual test ascents under various conditions. A 19 Cu Ft will get me to the surface quite comfortably from 80' or so, including a slow ascent and a safety stop. For anything deeper, I bring a 30 Cu Ft, which will do the same from 130'.

Note that neither of these contain enough gas to allow time for any significant problem solving and are strictly for a direct ascent to the surface. If you're sucking on your pony, it's time to go.

If you might be going anywhere a direct ascent isn't possible, like any kind of overhead environment or if you might incurr a deco obligation, a pony isn't the answer.

Terry

cebudiver:
Its a pretty simple question. If I use 100% o2 at 10 ft. to do deco how much quicker will I be clear to get to the surface with say 10 minutes of deco on regular air. Am comparing the differences here.
Just in case Soggy's warning about seeking more training wasn't enough: The internet is no place to learn how to deco dive! I finished the classroom portion of Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures last night. It is an excellent class that will give you a framework to understand the questions you are asking and make you rethink the relative safety of things you may have done in the past.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Web Monkey:
Yes.

The 2.9 Cu Ft model is great if you need enough time to say "Oh s**t! I'm out of air!"

Terry

Terry, you make me smile........:D LOL~~~~

Web Monkey:

OTOH, that is 2.9 cu ft more than most OOA divers have. And when you realize how many more options are opened up by a larger redundant gas supply, they still make a great playtoy for the pool.

I guess it also depends on how important you think a few more breaths might be in the overall scheme of life.

Back
Top Bottom