13 Cu. Pony Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, OK --

"You will die, immediately, painfully, if you use a pony. Doubles, isolated, with a 40 deco bottle is the only way to possibly survive underwater (even though you're only doing reef tops at 30 feet). You should probably take up golf, or perhaps knitting, as you don't cut it for diving. If you even think about a QuickDraw, or other tank mounted method of carrying the pony, you might as well kill yourself before entering the water."

Better?
:D

(Just kidding -- this is a synopsis of some of the wilder end of things that come up, absolutely not attributable to any particular SB member or group. See my signature for how anything posted on the Internet should be approached.)

You got that right -- they look suspiciously like blow-gun darts.
Knitting Nanny Ninjas, and the Needles of Death :D

I debated between a 13 and a 19 as I was looking for a redundant air source for solo diving that would pack & travel by air OK. Larger tanks would provide much more flexibility but travel by air would be a PITA. While the 19 clearly leaves you with more options, like spending a couple minutes at depth trying to resolve a problem rather than quickly making the decision to head up, I decided to go with the 13 primarly based on ease of travel. I know it is going to get me to the surface in reasonable shape even if I have to hurry a bit. If travel were not a concern, then I probably would have gone with the 19.

We have a winner! Personal responsibility, made a decision based on their own risk/benefit trade.
(19 packs OK for me, but I'm with you in wanting to travel with it -- new locales, unknown other divers, is where I really want to have the bailout gas)

Here is the graph chart below:

Just download it...you will need Microsoft Excel

Change Breaths per minute, Accent rate, and tank vol. to see if you would make it to the surface.

rapidiver:
Y'know, Knitting is quite popular now-but I'm intimidated by those pointy needles!:D

Oh, they're fine - just as long as you carry a redundant needle. Unless you're into one of those closed-circuit sergers in which case don't get me started.

I have both a 13 and 30. I use the 30 on deeper but still single tank dives and where its necessary to make your make back to the line before ascending due to the surface currents. I used the 13 mostly as a buddy on solo NDC dives where a direct ascent was safe. Also used it on zero vis shallow commercial dives.

Here's 1.0 cu ft / min (excited) breathing with 1 min at depth, a 30 fpm ascent rate and 3 min @ 15' stop:

10 6.1
20 6.8
30 7.7
40 8.7
50 9.8
60 11.0
70 12.3
80 13.7
90 15.2
100 16.8
110 18.5
120 20.3
130 22.2
140 24.2

Also, if you do the math, you also need to be able to make sure that you've actually got the pony full to its rated pressure. Many divers don't have an SPG on their pony bottle. You also need to be able to bubble check the pony bottle to make sure it isn't leaking air past one of the o-rings.

There also was a death here a few years ago from a guy who got separated from his buddy and couldn't reach his pony bottle reg and drowned. Practicing with it would be a very good idea.

It also won't do you any good if you go in the water with it turned off and can't reach the valve to turn it on when you need it, which is another thing that should be practiced.

markfm:
You got that right -- they look suspiciously like blow-gun darts.
Knitting Nanny Ninjas, and the Needles of Death :D

I can tell you from personal experience that learning how to knit is harder than learning how to dive. I spent 4 or 5 Saturdays in a knitting class my friend talked me into taking with her and I never learned how to knit anything other than a straight row. You got give those grannies some credit. :05:

I think the tech divers should take up knitting because it would give them something to do on those long deco hangs. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom