13 Cu. Pony Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
Terry, you make me smile........:D LOL~~~~

I can't claim credit for that one, but I really liked it, so I kept it. :cool:

Just for grins, I modified the Emergency Ascent spreadsheet to go to 130' and ran it for the 2.9 Cu Ft Spare Air. It turns out that it's the perfect piece of equipment if you would rather drown at 115' than 130'. :cool:

The 6 is much better. That would have you drowning at 95'.

Terry

Web Monkey:
I can't claim credit for that one, but I really liked it, so I kept it. :cool:

Just for grins, I modified the Emergency Ascent spreadsheet to go to 130' and ran it for the 2.9 Cu Ft Spare Air. It turns out that it's the perfect piece of equipment if you would rather drown at 115' than 130'. :cool:

The 6 is much better. That would have you drowning at 95'.

Terry

You know that the rescuers at the "Bay Watch" can breath 2.9 CF forever... :05: People watches TV too much..... LOL~~~

Of course all this is highly dependent on your own SAC rate. I've known folks that could dive "for days" on an 80, and others who could barely last for a legitimate 20 min dive at shallow depth.

I believe my 13 is sufficient to get me out of trouble from the max. depths I normally dive. However, since my 13 is now out of hydro I'm beginning to toy with the idea of getting a 19. Anything bigger than that would be like diving doubles IMHO. Hmmm... why not!

A full 13cu. at 10 ft is like having 500psi at 10ft on an AL 80. Therefore if you are doing deco at 10ft this should be enough to get you out of trouble for most experienced divers. This bottle not enough to get you from 100 to the surface like this thread has proven. But if you have to do a deco stop for 5 minutes at ten feet and are looking for little bit more assurance that you have enough time this will suffice. A 19 is better, and a 30 would even be better than that. More air is always better than running out of air.

I saw a 20cf tank somewhere that was shorter and fatter. How do you think this would work on a bracket? It may be a good way of having the proper size tank that is also easy to pack. Thoughts? Not using a backplate yet so don't want to sling.....

Ragnar:
I saw a 20cf tank somewhere that was shorter and fatter. How do you think this would work on a bracket? It may be a good way of having the proper size tank that is also easy to pack. Thoughts? Not using a backplate yet so don't want to sling.....
Still not ideal. And, you don't have to have a bp/w to sling it. Most BCs have the requisite shoulder and hip d-rings.

If you're thinking bracket, the QuickDraw works fine with a 19CF. They actually make two sizes, one for 13/19 and one for 30/40. Beats me what the 20CF tank is -- if it's shorter and fatter than a 19, perhaps it has the same diameter as a standard 30?
Anyhow, the QuickDraw just mounts on a tank strap, so the pony ends up parallel to your main tank. Pretty painless (Though the you-must-sling crowd will tell you you are an idiot/fool if you don't sling it; see my signature line for my general approach to the intolerant types. This is different from those who sling it, tell you why, and then let the topic rest, so that you make a conscious decision about what works for you.).
The only down side, to me, for the QD is that it's designed for the narrower main tanks -- 7-1/2" diameter. If you dive an E8 series PST, the arc of the QD clamp would not properly match the curve of the 8" diameter main tank. When I bought my first steel, I went E7-100, so no problem.

Soggy:
You obviously don't have any decompression training (and from what I can tell, you don't even have nitrox training), so don't even bother thinking about questions that involve 100% O2 for emergency bailout use on a recreational dive where you have accidentally gone in to deco. :eek: 100% O2 below 20 ft CAN (and probably will) KILL YOU. You also apparently don't understand the concept of SAC rates, as evidenced by your questions regarding # of breaths per minute, which means you have no way of calculating how much gas you need.

Stop and go learn how to calculate your breathing rate. Then stop again and go learn how to calculate how much gas is needed to do an OOA ascent. Then stop a third time and figure out why you are 'accidentally' going into deco with only an Al80 on your back. Now stop a fourth time and think about how you can solve these problems by adding planning and without adding equipment.

Your idea of how you want to use a 13 cft bottle is positively foolish. A 13 cft bottle is completely useless as a pony bottle...really, anything less than 20 ft is silly, as it just doesn't provide enough gas to benefit you in any way beyond extremely shallow depths, except to help you run out of gas twice, rather than just once.

You appear to have come into this conversation already decided that you want a 13cft bottle despite being told by almost everyone that it isn't a good idea. Now, my question is, why do you object to something larger? It's not like a 20cft bottle is that much bigger, and a 30-40 cft bottle slung like a stage would be even better. Of course, even better would be to learn how to manage your gas properly and forget about the whole poco bottle thing, but I'm sure you don't want to hear that.

Ok.........but what is the reason for the slap in the mouth sarchasm? This can't be answered without a punch in the face? Very nice.

markfm:
If you're thinking bracket, the QuickDraw works fine with a 19CF. They actually make two sizes, one for 13/19 and one for 30/40. Beats me what the 20CF tank is -- if it's shorter and fatter than a 19, perhaps it has the same diameter as a standard 30?
Anyhow, the QuickDraw just mounts on a tank strap, so the pony ends up parallel to your main tank. Pretty painless (Though the you-must-sling crowd will tell you you are an idiot/fool if you don't sling it; see my signature line for my general approach to the intolerant types. This is different from those who sling it, tell you why, and then let the topic rest, so that you make a conscious decision about what works for you.).
The only down side, to me, for the QD is that it's designed for the narrower main tanks -- 7-1/2" diameter. If you dive an E8 series PST, the arc of the QD clamp would not properly match the curve of the 8" diameter main tank. When I bought my first steel, I went E7-100, so no problem.

Thanks for the info Mark:D....and I agree. There are a lot of smart and damn good wreck divers around here that use brackets. Here's one I've had my eye on and also an interesting read.......

http://www.njscuba.net/gear/eqpt_05_tanks.html

What was the argument against mounting it upside down? I forget........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom