100cf vs. 90cf vs. 80cf: Big difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When going from an 80cf to 100cf I noticed a big difference. With the
80cf it was many times less than I expected when checking with the
100cf it's usually a bit more than I expected either way check often
and use good air management skills.

So if someone was buying a "new" tank. What would the pro's/con's (besides air volume) be between an 80 vs 120 AL or an 80 vs 120 steel....both high and low pressure. What are the costs for something like this.

spectrum:
Make sure the used 90 still has the+ or it's an 82.

Pete

What?

If the tank was originally made as a 90cf, and allowed to be overfilled by 10%, which the + refers to, then, when new, a 90CF would hold more than 90cf, right? So if this tank were old and beyond the 10% exemption, it would simply revert to its original capacity wouldnt it?

Or do sellers of tanks state tank capacity by the CF at the 10% over mark? That just sounds like a scam.

scuba_frog:
So if someone was buying a "new" tank. What would the pro's/con's (besides air volume) be between an 80 vs 120 AL or an 80 vs 120 steel....both high and low pressure. What are the costs for something like this.

Besides air volume when buying a "new" or "used" tank for me is the weight difference and the trade off of needing less or more weight around your waist vs the hike you have to make with your gear.

For example: If I am in a full wet suit with an AL80 I float. With a steel 95 I sink. If I am doing a shore dive, I use the 95 (no weight in my gear bag to lug around) and I sink, and I usually don't have to walk as far with this heavier tank.

If I am doing a boat dive I use the AL80 cause I have to carry the tank further on land and the boat always stocks weight= Lighter load on myself.

Call me a wuss, but if I had steel 120's then I would be to tired to dive.

Everybody is different...10 years ago i would have done tripples if they had 'em

Bigcape:
Besides air volume when buying a "new" or "used" tank for me is the weight difference and the trade off of needing less or more weight around your waist vs the hike you have to make with your gear.

For example: If I am in a full wet suit with an AL80 I float. With a steel 95 I sink. If I am doing a shore dive, I use the 95 (no weight in my gear bag to lug around) and I sink, and I usually don't have to walk as far with this heavier tank.

If I am doing a boat dive I use the AL80 cause I have to carry the tank further on land and the boat always stocks weight= Lighter load on myself.

Call me a wuss, but if I had steel 120's then I would be to tired to dive.

Everybody is different...10 years ago i would have done tripples if they had 'em
Your boat vs. shore dive experiences are the exact opposite of most around SoCal.

On boat dives you can usually borrow (or bring) a wheeled cart of some sort to lug your tank(s) to the boat. Once on the boat, you never have them on your back for more than 10 feet or so... the distance from the bench to the gate.

On shore dives you have to lug your gear all the way to the water's edge, and back (on tired legs!)... and get through the surf zone with it, too. Usually the parking area is not nearly as close to the water at the beach (sometimes you're really lucky with 50', sometimes you have a long hike to get through) as the gate of a boat is to the bench.

For this reason, bigger tanks (and doubles) are far more common on boats than shore dives. At least, that's how I see it in SoCal.

CompuDude:
Your boat vs. shore dive experiences are the exact opposite of most around SoCal.

On boat dives you can usually borrow (or bring) a wheeled cart of some sort to lug your tank(s) to the boat. Once on the boat, you never have them on your back for more than 10 feet or so... the distance from the bench to the gate.

On shore dives you have to lug your gear all the way to the water's edge, and back (on tired legs!)... and get through the surf zone with it, too. Usually the parking area is not nearly as close to the water at the beach (sometimes you're really lucky with 50', sometimes you have a long hike to get through) as the gate of a boat is to the bench.

For this reason, bigger tanks (and doubles) are far more common on boats than shore dives. At least, that's how I see it in SoCal.

Okay here we go, symantics.

I do lake diving the shore is the parking lot. The boat is the trek to the dock.

Ocean diving, I can agree.

We are saying the same thing just different senarios

Bigcape:
10 years ago i would have done tripples if they had 'em

They did, and way before then for that matter. They were smaller steel cylinders and that's how they built up capacity.

Charlie99:
Yes.

And Yes, it is.

Damn, and how long does that "+" last for? Did I read 5 years somewhere? Do shops adhere to that strictly, or will they overfill past the time limit?

Back
Top Bottom