I'm being referred to a different SDI training facility.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By this time my dive-log was filled because of time spent in training even though I just started doing skills. If I had continued with my former dive shop they would need to start a new dive-log because there is no place to record completed skills in contained water. This likely a reasonable cause for my referral.
Sorry, this makes no sense...dive logs do not "fill up." You just keep adding pages or logs....
You say, "referral" but that has a specific meaning in Scuba instruction, which is probably not what you mean.
What do YOU mean by referral?

Sorry about the confusion, much has been said and moved on without explanation. My first instructor had to stop because his job was too demanding. There was a 2 week lull in practice because training was moved to another pool location, tried a back-inflate from the shop, didn't like the results, bought a new BCD that took time to configure weights/trim.

Once I got started with the skills I didn't have any further setbacks except with trim at the surface using a back-inflate Hollis HD 200. By this time my dive-log was filled because of time spent in training even though I just started doing skills. If I had continued with my former dive shop they would need to start a new dive-log because there is no place to record completed skills in contained water. This likely a reasonable cause for my referral.
This makes no sense to me. I'll hoping an instructor will stop by to translate (and explain that it's 95% BS?).

Having been in this sport for 30+ years, and around instruction programs for a bunch of it, I have no idea what you are describing..... :confused:

A full (assuming word to be: "training") log, and having to start over? I hope someone can clarify this for me.

I assume he means the student folder which has places for instructor to check off skills as these are done and such. Why can’t they just start a new folder to stick in the original one or photocopy the relevant sections as additional pages? Something smells fishy.

I assume he means the student folder which has places for instructor to check off skills as these are done and such. Why can’t they just start a new folder to stick in the original one or photocopy the relevant sections as additional pages? Something smells fishy.
I think we were all thinking the same thing.

Yep, if it is the student folder or the PADI log book that the skills get signed off as the first pages are for training and it is full then you would be done. Also specific questions are not getting answered I've yet to see answers to boulderjohn's post.

I didn't see any gators a lot of big lizards though.
They hide pretty well. Pretty sure they saw you.
Once I got started with the skills I didn't have any further setbacks except with trim at the surface using a back-inflate Hollis HD 200. By this time my dive-log was filled because of time spent in training even though I just started doing skills. If I had continued with my former dive shop they would need to start a new dive-log because there is no place to record completed skills in contained water. This likely a reasonable cause for my referral.
So much of this makes no sense. I had to go back and re-read this thread to try and make sense of it. It didn’t help a bunch.

The log should not get filled up before you actually complete the skills. It really sounds like your former dive shop didn’t know what they were doing. As was mentioned, they should have clearly explained what they would be covering on each of the pool dives. If the logbook is from the agency, it probably also has those skills in the front of the book.

If you really want input, please go back and answer the questions from @boulderjohn. Also, have a look at the slate posted by @tursiops in the first reply in this thread. Rate yourself on each one, and identify any that you never attempted.

And, no. The filled up logbook is not a reason for the shop to “refer” you to another shop. I think they just don’t want to continue to train you. That could be due to incompetence on their part, or recognition that you need a more experienced instructor to get you where you need to be. There are other possibilities as well. Can’t rule anything out just yet because so much of this makes no sense.

Sorry about the confusion, much has been said and moved on without explanation. My first instructor had to stop because his job was too demanding. There was a 2 week lull in practice because training was moved to another pool location, tried a back-inflate from the shop, didn't like the results, bought a new BCD that took time to configure weights/trim.

What are you even talking about.

Don't know if it is true with all DMT but from my experience neither PADI nor SDI trainers reveal to students what skills have accomplished and what skills need to be done before OWC.

I was surprised by how little amount of skills iI accomplished during the time I was with my former dive shop trainer. I replaced my BCD, mask, fins, found correct buoyancy weight, tried shop dry suit, bought my own dry suit, tried back-inflate BCD, decided it wasn't for me, bought a Hollis HD 200, difficult to make trim at surface due to over inflation just couldn't get it right.

Bought a Mares Prestige SLS BCD scheduled for delivery today. I hope the sides and back bladder feature will keep my upright rather than pushed forward as the Hollis HD 200 did.
It wasn't the BC pushing you forward by itself. Improper weighting, distribution of that weight, improper use of the BC, and incompetent/uncaring instruction were probably 99.7 % of the issue. The other .03 was just inexperience.

^^^This. Plus it should be in your book/written materials also I would think. There are also helpful videos on YouTube -- here's one that goes over every skill for PADI:
I think the switch from back inflate to jacket BCD may make you more comfortable -- I prefer jacket BCDs myself. I will say that at this point you may want to stop buying any more gear until you finish your OW certification. After all of the time you've already put into it, you should find a shop that will either help you complete it in a matter of days, or level with you and tell you if they think that you are not able to perform the required skills.
Lost all credibility when some skills were done kneeling. Especially the weight belt remove and replace.

Back
Top Bottom