Dive Knife recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like most DGX Sharp Cut on waist belt, ScubaPro Mako 4" dive knife on ankle and EMS shears in my side pocket. That set you up for any situation.

Hey Dudes - I searched around the forum for a thread on dive knife recommendations. I found stuff here and there but couldn’t find anything specific. We are headed to Key Largo in a few weeks for 4 days of diving (first dive since last August). Here is the deal. A year ago I bought a cheap knife on-line. Even with rinsing after each dive, it rusted and was just basically a piece of crap. So, on my last dive last year, I didn’t take my knife. We were diving a barge off the coast of Orange Beach and I got caught up in a bunch of monofilament. Scared the hell out of me. Fortunately, a guy with us had a knife and was able to cut me out of the mess. So, knife is now at the top of my equipment list. But I want to get one that isn’t a pile of crap and rusts even with proper cleaning. Also, I don’t want one of those “James Bond” looking leg strapped sword. Essentially, simplicity that I can attach to my BC is the ticket. Finally, I’d like to be able to find a good one on Amazon - I happen to have a gift card…… Any suggestions?

Thanks!
I carry the Spyderco Enuff Salt in H1 on my bcd (zip ties). It has been with me on about 100 dives. The dive masters and guides like the knife too when they ask about it. 👍

I haven't been out to scuba/snorkel in over 5 years, but am finally going to do so again next month.

I'd like to take along a smaller dive knife around or less than 3" blade length, which I've never carried previously (maybe once, my wife remembers but I don't). I don't recognize any of the seemingly popular dive knife manufacturers.... cressi, aqualung, etc ... and big internet store reviews on a lot of these are mixed.

After reading prior dive knife threads, it seems to be a common thing to bring something cheap, as loss into the water appears common. And my prior experience in the water suggests that things dropped, may never get recovered, so inexpensive would be nice.

Most of the tactical dive knives seem to be around 4.5", so I was looking at some skeletonized neck knives as an option. Seen a few by Boker, Kabar, and buck that may fit my needs.

Does anyone have additional suggestions?
A ceramic line cutter would probably be a good choice. The ceramic edge doesn’t corrode and will always be sharp. Low maintenance and will cut most types of line that you could run into.

After reading prior dive knife threads, it seems to be a common thing to bring something cheap, as loss into the water appears common. And my prior experience in the water suggests that things dropped, may never get recovered, so inexpensive would be nice.

Functional is more important than price. As far as dropping, one has to maintain control of the tool as the most important part of the evolution. That being said, a loop of bungee cord that is loose around the wrist but has to pulled off the hand is usefully, especially if you need the use of both hands at times. The loop can be hooked around the bottom of the sheath to prevent loss when sheathed.

If the issue is fishing line is, a line cutter is the best option, as has been suggested by many in the thread.

DGX has a Ti dive knife for $35.

I have had one for years, but I pretty much never carry it. The only cutting tool I have actually used in the water is trauma shears. The DGX Ti ones that are $8.

I carry mine in a MSM pouch ($8).

I originally used the DGX DIR sheath and promptly lost a new pair of shears. The retention strap on the MSM pouch is just perfect.

For stuff like fishing line, I think the trauma shears are the best option as you can do it all with just one hand. With something like a Eezycut or other line cutter, it will often require 2 hands - one to hold the line taut while you use the other hand to cut it.

I carry a trilobite on my computer straps (right wrist) and a small titanium knife on either my left waist or left BC attachment.

Since Spyderco H1-steel knives have been mentioned, I'll post some pics of mine I took with the iPhone this evening. I paid 60 something bucks back on June 8, 2013, for the Spyderco Salt I Serrated Edge H-1 Steel Knife on Amazon. I wanted something pretty rust-proof, because I'd bought 2 regular stainless steel dive knives and a cheap 'titanium-coated' Black Friday special dive knife, and all 3 rusted readily. Judging from my dive log, that knife has accompanied me on somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 dives, some live-aboard (no thorough daily rinse as far as I know) and some Bonaire (I might rinse gear at the end of the day). I don't rinse the knife after a dive, coat it with silicone grease or other protective measures.

In a nutshell, I ignore it.

From what I've read, a few caveats:

1.) It was claimed a drill bit made from another metal that can rust is used to engrave a letter on the blade, so one might see faint rust on that.

2.) Somebody experimented and figured out he could corrode one by putting the blade in direct contact with a chlorine tablet (like used for swimming pools) for awhile (I don't know how long 'awhile' was).

So, what does this knife look today?

IMG_8166.jpeg

IMG_8167.jpeg

IMG_8168.jpeg

The bolt snap is a new development. After years of pondering where to stow it (such as in a little pocket), it finally dawned on me I could bolt snap it to a D ring on my rig. If I get too concerned about losing it, a zip tie could better secure the blade to bolt snap.

At this rate, I'll probably be ready to be tossed before the knife is. Not bad, Spyderco. Not bad at all.

I suggest this one. I don't have one, but I still suggest it.

Since Spyderco H1-steel knives have been mentioned, I'll post some pics of mine I took with the iPhone this evening. I paid 60 something bucks back on June 8, 2013, for the Spyderco Salt I Serrated Edge H-1 Steel Knife on Amazon. I wanted something pretty rust-proof, because I'd bought 2 regular stainless steel dive knives and a cheap 'titanium-coated' Black Friday special dive knife, and all 3 rusted readily. Judging from my dive log, that knife has accompanied me on somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 dives, some live-aboard (no thorough daily rinse as far as I know) and some Bonaire (I might rinse gear at the end of the day). I don't rinse the knife after a dive, coat it with silicone grease or other protective measures.

In a nutshell, I ignore it.

From what I've read, a few caveats:

1.) It was claimed a drill bit made from another metal that can rust is used to engrave a letter on the blade, so one might see faint rust on that.

2.) Somebody experimented and figured out he could corrode one by putting the blade in direct contact with a chlorine tablet (like used for swimming pools) for awhile (I don't know how long 'awhile' was).

So, what does this knife look today?

View attachment 690491
View attachment 690492
View attachment 690493

The bolt snap is a new development. After years of pondering where to stow it (such as in a little pocket), it finally dawned on me I could bolt snap it to a D ring on my rig. If I get too concerned about losing it, a zip tie could better secure the blade to bolt snap.

At this rate, I'll probably be ready to be tossed before the knife is. Not bad, Spyderco. Not bad at all.
I wish Spyderco would make shears out of H1!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom