Do you think this can pass visual?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I finally opened up the tank. I never have done this before as I thought if i opened on moisture would get in and would compromise it. The very bottom looks good, as I go up towards the top of the tank, I see some small splashes of what i am thinking is rust. Here are a few picture, do you think the tank is still serviceable?

IMG_1545 2.JPG
IMG_1541.JPG

Reactions: OTF
Looks fine (what I can see of it) to me. And I am a certified expert.

I would have used a rust converter after a wire brush and a light grit sanding to feather the edges of the paint where it’s flaking. Then painted.

The deed is done however. Rinse it after salt use and I would rub a bit of ballistol on the painted areas from time to time.

The inside pics looks good. Make sure you keep it some place well air-conditioned till you get a new valve in it and get it filled. Don’t stick it in the basement or garage. I wouldn’t tumble it for that tiny amount of rust.

For internal corrosion, the limiting factor is either

1) a clean inside (no rust) but with previous rust pitting above a certain depth (ie a previously rusty tank that's been tumbled)

2) a rusty inside where there is enough rust to potentially conceal more serious corrosion underneath.

neither apply to those ^^^ pics.

And as mentioned don't tumble to remove minor surface rust

Both of my DIN valves have the dimple.
The issue is not with DIN valves per se, but only with 3500+psi DIN valves, i.e. the ones with more threads in them.

Tank looks great inside! Go get a vis+hydro.

Sanding, especially by hand with a reasonable grit, will not weaken the tank by an appreciable amount in real life. Sure bead blasting may be the "right" way, but I don't think you did any harm. The tank is not being held together by the few thousandths of an inch at the surface. These things are built tough. If you leave it rough sanded and don't apply a finish, then yeah you've created more surface area for rust to form. But a proper coating described by others will solve that.

Tank looks great inside! Go get a vis+hydro.

Sanding, especially by hand with a reasonable grit, will not weaken the tank by an appreciable amount in real life. Sure bead blasting may be the "right" way, but I don't think you did any harm. The tank is not being held together by the few thousandths of an inch at the surface. These things are built tough. If you leave it rough sanded and don't apply a finish, then yeah you've created more surface area for rust to form. But a proper coating described by others will solve that.

I agree.

As do I

OP, you are indeed one lucky fellow. But don't skip the vis and hydro before pressurizing and using. Cheap insurance.

Reactions: OTF

Back
Top Bottom